Need your help-Best Cardio?

Options
Hey everyone- so the holidays are coming which means parties and family gatherings....and of course I want to look and feel my best. I've gained a few pounds and am really looking for the best ways to get back in shape in time for the holidays. If anyone can give me some insight as to what kind cardio workouts are best for all over body weight loss- I would love to here your thoughts.

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I have found interval training to the best for fat-loss. However I firmly believe strength training is your best bet to lost fat/tone up. You look slim in your profile pic so advocate weight training, however if you really want to do cardio only - interval training works really well - example as below - treadmill:
    warm up 5 min
    walk fast 1 min
    slow jog 1 min
    fast jog - 1 min
    run - 1 min
    sprint - 1 min
    walk fast - 1 min
    etc for 20 mins all on 1 incline
    walk fast 1 min - 3 incline
    slow jog 1 min - 4 incline
    fast jog - 1 min - 5 incline
    run - 1 min - 6 incline
    sprint - 1 min - 3 incline
    walk fast - 1 min
    etc etc
  • tenkesh
    Options
    There is no such thing as best cardio. Everyone likes to praise whatever works for them. But if you want to keep losing weight and get improving results, I find that best is to keep trying new stuff every once in a while. Our body gets used to stuff we do and it's actively searching for ways to expend minimal amounts of energy on what we do. It means that running same distance at same pace on treadmill every day will result in less and less calories burned as the time goes on. Also your improvements will slow and you will hit plateau.
    So it's good to keep the body guessing and confuse muscles every now and then. If you are doing cardio. Switch to strength training for lets say 3 months. Then go do Yoga. Swim. There are so many different kinds of activities and they all benefit your body in a different way. Variety is the spice of life, you might even not know that you like something until you try it. So I say - step out of your comfort zone, keep adding new stuff to your fitness routine and mix it up in a totally new way and you will see great results.
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have found interval training to the best for fat-loss. However I firmly believe strength training is your best bet to lost fat/tone up. You look slim in your profile pic so advocate weight training, however if you really want to do cardio only - interval training works really well - example as below - treadmill:
    warm up 5 min
    walk fast 1 min
    slow jog 1 min
    fast jog - 1 min
    run - 1 min
    sprint - 1 min
    walk fast - 1 min
    etc for 20 mins all on 1 incline
    walk fast 1 min - 3 incline
    slow jog 1 min - 4 incline
    fast jog - 1 min - 5 incline
    run - 1 min - 6 incline
    sprint - 1 min - 3 incline
    walk fast - 1 min
    etc etc

Agree!!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    zumba is so fun and it burns a ton of calories. It can also be done indoors, which is a plus in the winter months. I did lose more inches doing 30 day shred, I just don't like it. 24 min seem so much longer than the hour of zumba.
  • rlwinton
    rlwinton Posts: 101
    Options
    There is no such thing as best cardio. Everyone likes to praise whatever works for them. But if you want to keep losing weight and get improving results, I find that best is to keep trying new stuff every once in a while. Our body gets used to stuff we do and it's actively searching for ways to expend minimal amounts of energy on what we do. It means that running same distance at same pace on treadmill every day will result in less and less calories burned as the time goes on. Also your improvements will slow and you will hit plateau.
    So it's good to keep the body guessing and confuse muscles every now and then. If you are doing cardio. Switch to strength training for lets say 3 months. Then go do Yoga. Swim. There are so many different kinds of activities and they all benefit your body in a different way. Variety is the spice of life, you might even not know that you like something until you try it. So I say - step out of your comfort zone, keep adding new stuff to your fitness routine and mix it up in a totally new way and you will see great results.

Agree....and I needed to hear this. Did my first spin class today. I always thought that was a joke, and now I can't move my legs. Don't knock something till you rock it!! LOL
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you enjoy and will stick to. I agree with tenkesh that it is good to change things up once in a while. A lot people seem to like more that one kind of cardio--you can do a couple of different workouts every week.

Aside from the exercise, it's important to eat well. You can exercise all you want, but if you don't eat well you may not lose lbs, fat, inches, etc.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For cardio, the "best " is the one you enjoy. If you enjoy it, you'll do it consistently.

For sheer calorie burn, I believe jumping rope is the highest burn.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a mtn bike but that's just me.............good luck.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    For cardio, the "best " is the one you enjoy. If you enjoy it, you'll do it consistently.

This