Measuring Food and Drinks

Options
Hi MFP!

I wish I could properly measure my food and drink intake using a scale and/or measuring cups/spoons; however, I'm living with family that are generally not keen about my losing weight. I could mention it's better to measure for health reasons, but they'll hear nothing of it, unfortunately. How could I visually guess how much I have on my plate (I usually don't prepare or cook food. I don't think my family trusts me! XD). I know some general ballpark visual cues.

Deck of cards = 3 oz meat
Two dice = 1 ox of cheese
Tennis ball = 1 cup

But how accurate is this? I always believe I over or under estimate.

Another question. Is it ok to eat back exercise calories? My budget is 1,200 calories and I'm set at sedentary. Usually I would need to exercise in order to have dinner because, again as mentioned above, my family are not very keen on my losing weight and don't like it when I track calories.

Replies

• D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight...I'd venture to say that "overestimating" then not eating the last bite or 3 of your meal will do nothing more than to help you. Often times I measure everything (scale,wax paper, measuring cups, etc.), however, there are times when these things are not available to me and my only option is to eye it out. I'm pretty good at it now, since I make it a habit to weigh or measure everything anyhow, but during those odd "guessing" times I split my meal in half. To-go boxes if out or share the meal with whomever I may be with--saves you quite a bit of money btw, or simply leave it on the plate to be discarded when it's all said and done. I don't care who cooked it, how much it cost, or how long it took...I'm determined to do this well & successfully. I also give whomever (if I'm over someone's home or something) is preparing my plate, to only put what they know a 3-5 year old girl would eat and I let them know that otherwise it would be chucked. I am learning very quickly how to "waste" food...I recycle. Food will not ever go to waste if you think about it...the insects and animals are happy to devour it. I also keep cheap tupperware around to give away food frequently. There's always a single person, widows, homeless people somewhere who will happily accept a good free meal.
    These are things I do. Some may or may not work in your case, but I thought I'd offer you some ideas.
  • Saiava
    Saiava Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You're ideas are wonderful...if I was living on my own. XD

"Wasting" is a HUGE no at my place. Always has. >.<
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Use your hand as your guide. Your palm is a serving of protein (about 4") and your fist is a serving of fruit/veggies/carbs (about 1 cup). Just place your hand next to your plate to judge how much you are eating. I do this when dining out or eating at friend's and relatives homes. It's been working pretty good so far, and is just so very subtle, that no one will ever know that you are measuring your food.

Wear a watch and pretend you are looking at it, if you want to be super sneaky.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Something that I figured out that I would never have believed was that I was waaaaaay UNDER estimating. I discovered that I was calling a piece of chicken (for instance) 4 oz but it was actually 2. I've been using a kitchen scale for a few weeks and I've found the difference between the actual measure and my guestimate to be startling.

Just food for thought... :flowerforyou: