A good exercise bike for an obese girl??

Options
Can anyone recommend a good exercise bike or type of exercise bike, my knees and feet are really giving me heck with walking and I can't afford a gym membership right now for the pool. My heart doctor recommended I start exercising on a bike to strengthen my leg muscles to help with the knee problem. But I need to figure out a good bike for me, a super huge morbid obese person. I have an upright bike, but it kills my butt, but I also have the problem of my legs hitting my stomach with the bikes that sit low. I have to exercise to get this weight off and I need to strengthen my legs without putting the pressure on my knees, this sucks. Any recommendations??

Thanks,
Sherry

Replies

• sanvanhaaften
    Options
    Did you try an elliptical trainer ?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Look into recumbent bikes. If your knees hit your belly, you may need to adjust the seat. Also look into getting proper cycling shorts and a gel seat cover - these both stopped me getting bum pain!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Have you perhaps also considered a desk bike? They are normally a lot less expensive than normal static bikes and can be used in a variety of locations and with a variety of chairs to best suit you.
  • SherrysLife2012
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I can't use an elliptical, my heart rate goes up to 180 after just 3 minutes and my heart doctor doesn't want my heart rate over 160. I had a desk bike and returned it, they don't work very well and slide away as you try to pedal. I'm currently looking into a recumbent bike, just need to find one right for my size with the needed adjustments. Also to find the best place to buy one.

Thanks again.
  • eandrsmom
    Options
    I second the recumbent bike suggestion. Much more comfortable, and I rode one throughout my second pregnancy. I am rehabbing my knee currently and it is a great option for that as well.