Exercise ideas/advice please?

Hi All,

So I'm looking for some exercise ideas that would fit well into my routine, be good for me and generally help the weight loss!

I currently have found that instead of getting the bus or tube to work, I can walk it - it's about 4 miles and takes me around 1hr to do. I generally do this 4-5 times a week. It's been really helping with the steady weight loss and I really enjoy it, even if it's raining.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas for doing other things? I'm not a member of a gym (and don't plan to be - I don't really enjoy the atmosphere of the ones I've been to previously) I have had surgery on my knees so I find running very hard - no cartilage left in the left one at all really. I have a bike and I'm trying to find some high vis clothing so I can bike in the winter to mix it up.

Do you think biking for 20-30mins would burns as much as walking fast for an hour? Or shall I start incorporating a bit of gentle jogging into my morning walk? Or is what I'm doing pretty ok?

Replies

• You are doing great! Biking is a very good exercise as well, so i think your going on the right direction. Did you try to do some yoga? There are many good videos on YouTube ! Did you doctor say it's ok jogging ? :$
    You should also try to get a HRM so you know how much you are burning :-)
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    What you're doing sounds great! I would just add some strength training to the mix and you'd have a perfect balance. Riding a bike would depend on if your route is downhill, uphill, or flat. But I think you'd burn more with walk/jogging than riding because you'd be riding for much less time. Try both and wear a HRM, that's the only way you'll know for sure :) Good luck!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    cycling, good since forever.

tumblr_m6om0rWm651rs2or9o1_500.jpg
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    cycling, good since forever.

tumblr_m6om0rWm651rs2or9o1_500.jpg

Haha ^ this! Do I get to blow a horn as well if I cycle??

Naw, but thanks everyone - I'll carry on walking and maybe add some yoga or pilates to the mix in the new year to work on my core strength :happy:

Where dya reckon is a good place to get a HRM? Or what's a good make so I know what to look out for?
  • How about carrying some small weights as you walk? Or starting C25K and jog lightly for it?

Or water aerobics/jogging for less pressure on your knees?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Where dya reckon is a good place to get a HRM? Or what's a good make so I know what to look out for?

not sure about a good HRM I need to pick one up as well.

also on my list is the fitbit one http://www.fitbit.com/nz/one - check it out!
  • Fatboy2Fitboy
    Fatboy2Fitboy Posts: 44 Member
    you should try swimming! its really good as you are using like your whole body also its fun!! i mean who doesnt love swimming! plus is little to no impact on your knees. but u are already doing a great job by walking 4 miles regularly!
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    I have to agree with hassan on the swimming idea... great cardio workout with little to no impact. If you want to start working out at home, start incorporating body weight exercises - Pushups, dips, lunges (form is important with the knee problems), etc etc. Get some dumbells and start looking up exercises for shoulder press, curls, triceps, rows.

You are doing great with the 4 mile walks though! Keep it going! :)
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Aw, you're all so positive and lovely ideas - thanks you :smile:

I do love a good swim, but being in London there's not many decent sized pools where I live - hard to do laps when there's more than 4 people in there with you. But I'll keep my eye out for a good one. Maybe I could make it a weekend thing - I'm generally a bit more lax on the weekends so it would do me good to have an early morning swim!

I did try C25K but got really bad shinsplints - not sure if it was the joints, the shoes, the fact it was on bumpy ground...might give it another chance though if I can get some running shoes to support me better than my bettered walking trainers!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Fencing? lol
    I have a bike and I'm trying to find some high vis clothing so I can bike in the winter to mix it up.

Do you think biking for 20-30mins would burns as much as walking fast for an hour? Or shall I start incorporating a bit of gentle jogging into my morning walk? Or is what I'm doing pretty ok?

First couple suggestions for finding high vis clothing: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/clothing/
    http://www.probikekit.com/us/clothing/cycling-clothing/reflective-high-visibility-clothing.html?gender=91801

Both places are much cheaper for many things for Americans than American places, I don't know how the UK market is though.

2nd: biking 20-30 min vs. walking an hour? It depends.
    150lbs walking 3 miles in 60 minutes burns ~225 KCal
    150lbs biking 10 mph for 30 minutes only burns ~200 KCal
    150lbs biking 15 mph for 30 minutes burns ~340 KCal

As an aside, I think biking calculators really let us down here. Walking, Running, etc is a pretty static burn x cal per lb per mile. Swimming is a little different - it's easier to go faster freestyle vs. butterfly. Biking is more different, because we use a machine with different mechanical advantages - going 20 mph on a road bike is much easier work than 20 mph on a mountain bike and much, much easier than on a BMX bike...
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. I got it at amazon.com :smile: