new york marathon... why not do the right thing?

Options

Replies

• coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Here's another non-NYer, non-marathon runner tossing in his $0.02 worth. I get that life goes on, yadda yadda. If this was a race occurring at a dedicated facility with dedicated staff that couldn't be repurposed, I'd be all aboard the "people need a distraction" train and say keep the schedule. However, this is not the case. They are diverting resources away from where there is a drastic NEED in order to service a WANT (NYC marathon). Those are public streets being closed or cordoned off to support a WANT. Those are first responders be diverted to support a WANT. Those are generators sitting idle right now to support a WANT in the near future.:noway:
    I get it that people have training for weeks/months for this event; I respect maraton runners and liken them unto warriors. But are these warriors really so fragile that postponing this event for one month would break them? Likewise with the sponsors, are they so self-centered that to think postponing for a month or so would not serve both them and the greater good?
    Before I disassemble my soapbox, I'd like to say that this reminds me a little bit of an episode of Star Trek: Voyager. There was a planet whose inhabitants outsourced the administration of their entire medical system to an off-planet race that specialized in logistics. Every citizen was graded based on their importance to society and granted medical care based on their priorirty. The result was situations such as a medicine that could be a lifesaver for a citizen of a lower priority wasn't available because it was used for cosmetic purposes for a patient with a higher grade. Imagine taking heart pills from a street sweeper to decrease the crow's feet on an architect! I know it may be a reach, but this situation reminds me so much of that episode that it's not funny... <sigh> :huh:

</soapbox>
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say to cancel it altogether, but wouldn't it be possible to postpone it a week or two? That would allow time for a little bit of recovery and it would also give time for the participants to perhaps organize fundraising efforts for the Red Cross and other disaster relief charities. For example, those who have signed up to be in the race can ask for individuals to "sponsor" them in the race by making donations. Just a thought.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Maybe someone shoud forward this thread to the Mayor.

I don't care one way or the other, but I am sure that the poeple impacted have considered all aspects of this event and have made a decision they think best for the City of New York.

Having a couple dozen people sound off in here only expresses their personal opinions and/or how it affects them.

If you feel strongly about it, contact the Governing Body of the NYC Marathon.
  • Double_Tapp
    Options
    I agree with this quote from an article I read this morning. "seems frivolous in light of the death, disruption and despair in parts of the city."
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say to cancel it altogether, but wouldn't it be possible to postpone it a week or two?

No.
    Wayyy to much would go into that.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    There are always people eating out of dumpsters, without homes, without power. Always. All over the world. Why should anyone ever hold or run a marathon?

Or do those people not matter as much as someone who had a home, food, and power a week ago but doesn't now?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I read that a hotel owner is allowing displaced residents to stay in his hotel, despite the fact that other hotels are kicking people out to the street to honor reservations of runners.

Come on, I know these people have reservations, which should be prone to cancellation in case of emergency, but they are going to kick out people who have NO WHERE to go after they just lived through a huge natural disaster?

Also, as a friend of mine, marathon runner and NYC native posted: There are so many people right now without even having fresh water to drink or food to eat and Poland Springs water company has palates and palates of water stacked up for the race. :noway:
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    People from all over work hard just to try and qualify to be able to run that marathon, if anything it's going to be a revenue boost, which is what is needed as well
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say to cancel it altogether, but wouldn't it be possible to postpone it a week or two?

No.
    Wayyy to much would go into that.

I'm thinking they may end up having a record low turnout anyway. It may end up costing more to go ahead with it as scheduled, than it would to put it off for a week or two. Besides, I'm sure NYC officials wouldn't be as inconvenienced by putting off a foot race as hundreds of thousands are currently inconvenienced by homelessness and devastation.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    People from all over work hard just to try and qualify to be able to run that marathon, if anything it's going to be a revenue boost, which is what is needed as well

But there are people basically freezing to death with no heat, power, food and fresh water. If I was a runner who came to do this, took hotel room from a person who now has no home and eat/drank food provided by marathon sponsors when people are digging through dumpsters or just plain starving due to lack of power/deliveries of goods/etc.... I couldn't live with myself.

Not to mention, there are still downed power lines and debris in the streets! This going to be a hurdle race as well?
  • barberella
    Options
    I agree with you...I am torn on the issue as well. I get it that people have trained and trained for this race and to postpone this would also be a devastating loss of income. I agree that life goes on as well despite a tragedy.

But the other side is that the resources used for this race needs to go towards those victims such as the fire and police protection, the EMTs, the generators used. I see on the various news programs and shows that NYorkers are pissed this is still going on, but obviously Bloomberg is making the choice to do it, so I guess the show goes on.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've been through a natural disaster. And while I welcomed distractions, I remember the one thing that really pissed me off during that time was outsiders coming into the area just to look, or other people giving their opinions what we should or shouldn't be doing. In other words, if your *kitten* wasn't there to help get life back to normal...get your *kitten* out and shut up.

I'm not a NYer affected by the storm so I'll just say this. I think it would be tragic for recources to be diverted away from the clean-up to facilitate a marathon where 45,000 outsiders will be decending upon a logisticly strapped area. If the NYC Government thinks they have enough recources to carry out the marathon without affecting those that need help. I'm fine with that, but it's up to the local citizens to make sure their government is being honest with them.
  • kwammy
    Options
    I am also torn on the issue. In one instance you train work hard and look forward to a marathon being a marathoner myself but respect for the folks in NY and the devastation also needs to be a high priority. The one thing I can say is that it will bring money to the city and hopefully people will donate to the cause. It also may be a good thing for the economy and like many said life goes on. But I am very on the fence with the issue. The only think I can think of is the economy and the people will hopefully make donations to the disaster. It is an awful situation and I guess the thought is to try and make the best of it. I also heard that ING is donating marathon proceeds to the clean up. That is hear say and not sure if it is true.

To all those on this thread living in NY and NJ my heart goes out to you.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

No, what is needed is the police/emt/fire fighters that are currently working to help people that need it. Not to take them away from that, to support the marathon.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'd be so mad if I trained for NYC marathon all year and it was cancelled! Especially if I did it with a charity partner and raised over $3,500. Life has to go on - and the marathon is something that's always united New Yorkers. Maybe they should postpone it, but not cancel it.
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree that it should NOT be held. WHY? My ex is a paramedic for NYCFD. Right now, it is all hands on deck. Everyone is working extra shifts, just as they did when the Towers came down. If they don't have a run, or they are working on their off-time, they are out there helping those in need. Be it cooking for those without power, shifting through the wreckage, or treating minor wounds...cuts, sprains, etc.

So now that they ARE doing the marathon, they are getting pulled from helping those in need, and having to be at the marathon for those who might be hurt.

I think anyone runner with a heart, would understand if it was called off. NYC is in crisis mode right now.
  • GrannySparkle
    GrannySparkle Posts: 225 Member
    Options

No, what is needed is the police/emt/fire fighters that are currently working to help people that need it. Not to take them away from that, to support the marathon.

AMEN!!!!
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    People don't like the marathon on any city. London, NYC it's always the same complaint - why should we disturb our lives for the hoards of outsiders. The marathoners worked very hard for that day why should they be disturbed ? Because people are starving ? really ? who on this thread isn't starving !? we're not talking about a marathon in somalia here.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the money being generated will help pay all the responders/agenices helping

quit acting like its evil to hold this thing...it's a few hours and the benefits of holding it outweigh the costs

it's all economics in the end
  • louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    As a non American I always think of the USA as a country who has such a strong life goes on attitude to events and situations such as this and ive always thought oh how wonderful but after reading all these posts I think its time someone said "how about we just focus on the most improtant things and not pretend we can overcome everything in a week"