HELP!!

Options
OK so im going home on the weekend to visit my family (im in uni) and were meant to be having a girly night on saturday which was going to involve a take away, however i was wondering if anyone had good recipes for 4 people which everyone would enjoy (as im the only one on a diet) so that i dont get tempted by prawn crackers! They have all agreed to eat something healthier on account of me as long as i cook and i would like something which will wow their taste buds!

The only thing that we cant have is fish as my brothers fiancee doesnt like it, so any ideas??

Thank you :smile:

Replies

• cincykid
    cincykid Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would say just keep it simple. Serve a nice side salad with low fat dressing, grilled or baked boneless/no skin chicken breast, broccoli, mashed potatoes, Promise Butter/Margarine, and for dessert - fruit. I know when I get into new recipes I get stressed which causes me to eat what I should not. Keep it simple and everyone would enjoy it I believe... Good luck and have fun!!!
  • supercool111
    Options
    fajitas?
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This might work out as a good one for you, and it won't feel like your family is really doing the healthy thing, as it tastes so good. :wink: This is a link for Curried chicken with linguine, http://cookingfortherushed.com/curried_chicken.htm. It even breaks down all the calories and stuff for you, so it's easier to enter in our food diary. Hope you like!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    There is a really good slow cooker salsa chicken recipe on this site. Do you have a slow cooker?
  • katie517
    katie517 Posts: 159
    Options
    I made this pork roast for my mom’s birthday and everyone (even a picky 3-year-old) LOVED it. And it is super easy to make – gotta love the crock pot! I paired it with steamed broccoli and boiled red potatoes. You can get away with a meal for under 400 calories easy.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amazing-Pork-Tenderloin-in-the-Slow-Cooker/Detail.aspx

If you want to make a dessert, try a diet soda cake. Use cola for chocolate or other dark cakes, cream soda for vanilla or yellow.

I made lemon-poppy seed with Sprite Zero and it was fantastic.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Diet-Soda-Cake-or-Cupcakes-With-Frosting-321725

Good luck!
  • kateyb
    kateyb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had this situation recently and instead of the usual *****y, bottles of wine, and dvd's I convinced the girlies that I'd make us something special. In the end I spent less than a takeaway would have cost and the food was so nice everyone (except me of course) went back for seconds!!!

I made Chicken Chasseur with Crispy potato discs and loads of fresh veg. It was lush and really low maintenance cooking as well so it wasn't like I was slaving over a stove while my friends waited for me!

Got everything from tesco's and it also cost less than a takeaway would have done! They have some great pre-packaged potatoes - I picked up the discs because I thought they had the lowest calories but mash or their mini roasties would have been good too. One of the fresh ready veg packs mixed (baby corn, chantery carrots, green beans and mange tout), a pack of asparagus, some mushrooms, couple of organic chicken breasts, an onion and a pack of colemans sauce! It cost me under a tenner for 4 people!

You can look back over my diary - it was Saturday night and I think it came out as about 650/700 calories.

We had Ben and Jerry's frozen Yoghurt (Cherry Garcia) for dessert. That was 182 calories for 100ml which was way more than I wanted anyway.

I would highly recommend and plan on doing the exact same meal again in the future for other mates!

Enjoy, and good luck x x x
  • MereBear_81
    MereBear_81 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Check out the healthified recipes on eatbetteramerica.com. Here are my two favorites:

"Healthified" Sausage-Stuffed Shells

Prep Time:30 min
    Start to Finish:1 hr 20 min
    makes:12 servings (2 shells each)

24 jumbo pasta shells (from 12-oz box)
    1 lb lean Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
    1 container (15 oz) light ricotta cheese
    2 cups shredded reduced-fat Italian cheese blend (8 oz)
    1 box (9 oz) Green Giant® frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed to drain
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
    3/4 cup finely shredded carrots (1 medium)
    1 jar (25.5 oz) Muir Glen® organic Italian herb pasta sauce

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package, omitting salt.
    2. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, crumble sausage. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until no longer pink; drain.
    3. In medium bowl, stir ricotta cheese, 1 cup of the Italian cheese blend, the spinach and basil until well mixed. Stir in carrots and sausage.
    4. Spread about 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce over bottom of baking dish. Spoon about 3 tablespoonfuls sausage mixture into each pasta shell. Arrange shells, filled sides up, on sauce in baking dish. Pour remaining pasta sauce over stuffed shells. Spray 15-inch piece of foil with cooking spray; cover shells with foil.
    5. Bake 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup Italian cheese blend. Bake uncovered 5 to 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
    High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Heat oven to 375°F.

Nutritional Information

1 Serving: Calories 290 (Calories from Fat 80); Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 40mg; Sodium 720mg; Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 7g); Protein 19g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 70%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 25%; Iron 15% Exchanges: 2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

"Healthified" Mediterranean-Style Chicken and Pasta

Prep Time:25 min
    Start to Finish:25 min
    makes:6 servings (1 1/2 cups each)

2 cups uncooked multigrain penne pasta (6 oz)
    2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
    1 small onion, chopped (1/3 cup)
    2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 cups 3/4-inch pieces cooked chicken breast
    1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen® organic no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can (8 oz) Muir Glen® organic tomato sauce
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
    1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
    1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, quartered lengthwise
    3/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese (3 oz)

1. In 4-quart Dutch oven, cook and drain pasta as directed on package, omitting salt. Return to Dutch oven; cover to keep warm.
    2. Meanwhile, in 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Add zucchini and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano and basil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender and mixture is hot. Stir in olives.
    3. Pour chicken mixture over pasta. Top with feta cheese; toss to coat.

Nutritional Information

1 Serving: Calories 270 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 540mg; Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 7g); Protein 23g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 10%; Iron 15% Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 1 Vegetable; 2 Lean Meat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
  • ultraviolet29
    Options
    Thanks guys, i shall speak to the others and see which they would like as i would eat them all ( i didnt get overweight looking at food :laugh: )

I shall let you know how it goes :smile: