Replies

• L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    resounding bump. :flowerforyou:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I eat them cold out of the fridge or can. I eat them on salads. You can also make your own hummus. There are a ton of recipes online for roasted chickpeas, which makes a nice crunchy snack, flavored any way you can imagine. One of my favorite chickpea dishes is this one: http://sarahscucinabella.com/2011/03/08/indian-inspired-roasted-cauliflower-and-chickpeas-over-rice/
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I like to roast them in the oven with a little olive oil and salt. They get really crunchy, kind of like corn nuts. :)

Do you use canned boiled chickpeas? How do you get them crunchy? What is the temperature and duration of roasting?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I think I'll try these out on someone, seeing the photo no one would have a clue! They look tasty and I always like to sneak in healthy food to ppl that say they hate that 'crap'. lol

Thanks for the link!
    I like to roast them in the oven with a little olive oil and salt. They get really crunchy, kind of like corn nuts. :)

Do you use canned boiled chickpeas? How do you get them crunchy? What is the temperature and duration of roasting?

Simple Spice-Roasted Chickpeas

1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.

Pat the rinsed chickpeas dry with a clean kitchen towel. In a medium bowl, gently toss the chickpeas with the remaining ingredients until evenly coated with the oil and seasonings. Spread the chickpeas evenly on the baking sheet.

Bake for about 40 minutes until crispy and deeply golden brown. Cool completely before serving. (Roasted chickpeas retain their crispness best on the day they are made.)

"A blend of spices gives the chickpeas subtle flavor without being spicy at all, so even picky eaters will gobble these up. I like to use a medley of garlic powder, ground cumin, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg, but feel free to experiment with your own favorites."

Sprinkled on top of salads and stir-fries
    As a garnish for some tomato soup
    Mixed with nuts and dried fruit for a twist on trail mix

http://balancedplatter.com/simple-spice-roasted-chickpeas/
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My Favorites are:

Snack: Pat them dry then pre-heat oven at 450 ... mix with some canola oil, cayenne or paprika ro even dried chilli powder and roast for about 40-45 mins and then lightly salt with sea salt.
  • aphid
    aphid Posts: 47
    Options
    i do them with mushrooms and peppers, then mix in lemon and coriander, take off the heat and mix greek yogurt in, and serve with rice.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Pandy1962
    Pandy1962 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    anyone mentioned Falafels yet? I have copied this recipe off a website as mine in downstairs and i am feeling to lazy today to go and get it, but it is basically the same.

One 15-oz. can chickpeas, well drained
    1 red onion, very finely chopped
    1/4 cup whole-wheat flour (you could also try using panko breadcrumbs or whole wheat breadcrumbs. Note: to make this gluten-free, use chickpea flour)
    3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
    1 1/2 tbsp. chopped garlic
    1 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 tbsp. ground cumin
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. lemon juice
    1/8 tsp. paprika, or more to taste
    black pepper, to taste

Olive oil nonstick spray to cook with

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    Place all ingredients for falafel except the baking power in a food processor, and give them a good chop.
    Transfer into a bowl, add the baking powder and stir together. Using a potato masher, mash any big chunks that remain – Mixture should remain slightly chunky, not smooth.
    Spray a baking sheet thoroughly with olive oil nonstick spray.
    One at a time, take spoonfuls of mixture in your hands and form 15 balls, each about the size of a ping pong ball, and gently place them on the baking sheet.
    Spray the top of each ball with olive oil nonstick spray, for a total of about a 2-second spray.
    Bake in the oven for 15 minutes (note – depending on your oven, this might take longer – up to 20-25 minutes – but be sure to check on them to make sure the bottom doesn’t burn!).
    Remove baking sheet from the oven, and carefully turn each ball over, gently reshaping if the bottoms have flattened.
    Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 – 15 minutes (or longer, depending on your oven), until golden brown and slightly crispy. Allow to cool and set for at least 5 minutes.

Serve in Pita bread with salad and hummus.

1 pita half with salad and 3 falafel balls and 1-3 tbsp hummus dip has 200 calories, 2.5g fat, 8.5g fiber, and 10g protein!
    (I got this from the recipe site so I do not know if the calorie count is correct)
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com - absolutely love this chick!

I made these last Easter and took them to a dinner (told no one what they were) and they were loved by most. Not all folks loved them because they are very sweet - I LOVED THEM!

Genius Chocolate-Chip Blondies

(makes 15-20 squares)
    ■1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can, drained and rinsed) (250g after draining)
    ■3/4 tsp baking powder
    ■1/8 tsp baking soda
    ■level 1/4 tsp salt
    ■3/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar (See note below, for substitutions)
    ■2 tsp vanilla extract
    ■1/4 cup ground flax or quick oats (20g)
    ■1/4 cup peanut butter (or other fat source) (see nutrition link below, for lower-cal options)
    ■optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips (Not “optional” if you’re CCK!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients (except chips) until very smooth in a food processor (not a blender). Mix in chips, and scoop into a greased (or tinfoil-lined) 8×8 pan. Optional: for “prettiness” you can stick some chocolate chips on top of the batter as well. Bake for around 30 minutes. They’ll look a little undercooked when you take them out, but they firm up as they cool, and you don’t want them to get hard.

THESE SOUND AMAZING! Bumping for other recipes, too!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Some nice recipes! İ like to blend with pureed pumpkin and protein powder and eat with a spoon :)
  • shoniej
    shoniej Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • maerieanne
    maerieanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    hummus, falafels, vegetable soup with chickpeas instead of chicken... and there's this thing I like to call tuna which I have to variants for:
    1. mashed chickpeas, avocado, celery and cucumber
    2. mashed chickpeas, hummus, mustard, celery and cucumber
    if you want you can add lemon too