Birth Control Questions...

Options

Replies

• MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the health issues, but talk to your doctor.
    Like others said, I HATED my birth control. I was on everything from pills, to shots then IUD Mirena. I was horrible...upset all the time, and never wanted anything.

I went off the Mirena and went on the IUD Copper (no hormones) best decision EVER! Some woman can't handle any more hormones then they have...

Good luck.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Express all these concerned with your doctor. Different birth control methods carry different levels of risk for blood clots. FOr example, the patch has a higher risk than most pills because of how the hormones get to your body. The patch releases way more at a time than a pill might. They also have "low dose". those usually just have less of certain hormones.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor because everyone is different. My sex drive wasn't killed and I've been on the pill for 7 years- Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm on it - I HATE it. Just waiting to see if the hubby and I want to try one more time for a 3rd baby. Once the decision is made, the hormonal BC is GONE. Oh, but it definitely hasn't had any negative affect on my libido. It' just makes me crazy sometimes :explode:

I wasn't put on it for the sole purpose of not having babies though, I was put on it to regulate and lessen my menstrual cycles. - FAIL. Just saying!
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Most of the blood clot warnings for birth control are for woman 35 and older who smoke. Talk to your doctor. Stay away from the patch (high blood clot risk) and Depo shot (you WILL gain a lot of weight)
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    the screaming and demanding baby won't help your sex life. that's for sure. I would suggest Depo or an IUD but this is a discussion you should have with your doctor who knows your complete medical history. Make sure that the dr. knows all about your family history with the blood clots so together you can make an informed decision.

I can tell you that I have a 14yo son that came into my life when I was using only condoms. good luck
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    My wife was on the pill for years and got blood clots in her lungs because of it. Now she will have to take blood thinner, probably for the rest of her life. This puts her at risk of uncontrollable bleeding if she gets in a serious accident. My wife was 34 and never smoked.

I always thought "the pill" was a harmless, common part of modern life. It can have serious side effects.

If you have a family history of blood clot issues, I would definitely talk with a doctor and consider other forms of birth control.

And if you decide to go on the pill and one day you start having harsh chest pains that hurt when you breathe, get to an emergency room ASAP.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Can't answer that question - can only say birth control KILLED my libido. I had no idea *why* I had turned into some old naggy woman who pushed her husband's attempts away all the time....until I got off that blasted thing and found that 18 year old hormonal girl still inside. ;) Birth control WORKS for sure if you are abstaining! (Sorry, not much help, I know.)

Same here. I asked my nurse practitioner if it was possibly caused by the pill I was taking and she said absolutely! I switched to generic Lo-Ovral, which I was on years ago, and it didn't help. That got discontinued and I switched to something brand new (new for me. This one has been around for years and years too, but it's a different hormone than my previous two). I'm a week in and can ALREADY tell a difference!! Hubs noticed it too.
  • rrneal625
    rrneal625 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You might ask about an IUD or progesterone only oral contraceptive / mini-pill, there's also the NuvaRing.....in the world of contraception, there are plenty of options so I would discuss this in depth with your physician.
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    1st off, I'd reccomend going to a family planning clinic rather than your
    regular doctor as they know SO much more about the subject (rather
    than whet they are used to prescribing).
    I don't know much abotu blood clots but I have just had my 3rd Implano
    put in. It lasts 3 years. The side effects I have are :- No periods, No PMS
    and less mood swings BUT I also have a bad tummy which I can control.
    Get as much info as you can and use the family planning clinic as a resorce.
    Whatever your choice, I hope you find a method which is safe and works
    for you.
    Taks care
    Nicola xxx
  • sallywilson06
    sallywilson06 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I go to a regular gynecologist for my screenings but I am actually going to the family planning clinic for the birth control as it is income based and more affordable than my regular Dr. I want to make sure that I am being protected in more ways than just one.. I don't want to lose that spark though.. So I am going to ask about an IUD. Thanks again for all of your suggestions.
  • notsosimplyabby
    notsosimplyabby Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Nuva-ring all the way! Low side effects in every direction!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Soo.. I have never been on Birth Control before and it's time. However, I have a family history of blood clots. I am wondering if there is anything out there that is safe to take for someone like me. My grandmother died from a blood clot to her heart. I have a Dr.'s appointment about this but just curious if I am wasting my money and time seeing her for this if she is going to tell me no..?
    Definitely discuss with your doctor...only he/she can tell you what your best options are with your family history. People here are just going to tell you what they like best. I've been on b/c pills for over 20 years with relatively NO side effects, but everyone is SO different!
  • Wezlfuss
    Wezlfuss Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been on Nuvaring for over a year now.

~It essentially works the same way as the pill, but is great for people like me who's memories aren't good enough to remember to take the pill every day.

~I chose it over the patch because the patch was only recommended for women under 200lbs. This had a higher weight limit.

~No big changes in mood, though I always had pretty bad mood swings/anxiety issues to begin with. And sex drive is a little less than I remember, but still functioning well enough.

~Also, my cramps went from being downright debilitating to just being "meh." Pretty nice side effect. :3

Bottom line, though, you should definitely see your doctor to ask about the blood clot effects, they probably aren't as high as you think.
  • katescurios
    katescurios Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Do NOT get the depo, I was on it for 4 years and while I was on it, it was fantastic, no periods, no symptoms and no problem, it was only when me and the hubby decided we wanted to start trying for a baby that I learnt it can take over a year for the hormones to leave your system!

If I ever go on birth control again I'll be going with a non hormonal IUD. My advise is to stay away from any hormone based birth control.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I got the Paragard IUD and I'm happy with it. If the pill is not an option for you, ask about the IUD.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I was on Yasmin after the birth of my 3rd child. After about 6 months I was taken by ambulance and admitted to Yale Hospital, cardiac floor. So, Id say no especially considering your family history but thats just me.
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I was on BC for 3 years. It made me miserable. It suppresses your hormones, which made me really moody. I was also told by a nurse that for every year you are on BC, your cervix ages 3. I'm not a doctor - so check with yours.
  • Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I know I wouldn't recommend the "Shot" to anyone, that is where my weight gain began. I had 3 shots over 3 months and went from being anerexic looking to obese. I know everyone's body is different, I am just putting it out there. Good luck with your decision
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm on Ortho Evra, the patch, and have been for almost 2.5 years. It's high estrogen, so probably not a good choice for you with family history of clotting, but to everyone claiming that hormonal BC killed your libido: I am so sorry. I gained a little weight, but otherwise I've had no ill-effects regarding my BC. My libido is still right where it has been for years, my periods are lighter and I can actually function through my cramps. Huzzah birth control!

Ask your doctor about the "low" HBCs, like Ortho Tri-cyclen low. Or try a copper IUD, they have no hormones and last as long as you want them too. Also, try looking into the implant, Implanon is the newest, I think, and it puts you in the clear for at least 2 years.