Free Weights for Women

Options
Hey ladies!

The gym at my apartments only has free weights rather than machines and I have to admit, I feel a little lost. My "weights" routine involves lifting a few dung bells and that's pretty much it. Any tips? What is your weight lifting routine?

Thanks!
xoxo
Jenina

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

The gym at my apartments only has free weights rather than machines and I have to admit, I feel a little lost. My "weights" routine involves lifting a few dung bells and that's pretty much it. Any tips? What is your weight lifting routine?

Thanks!
    xoxo
    Jenina

Poop bells = quote of the year.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Great place to start: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Tameko2 explanation of the plan is much more user-friendly than the actual website.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Wait....i'm sorry....what kind of weights are you using?
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    "dung bells" ... you kill me

step away from the poop bells and listen to Lorina. ^^
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Thanks!
    xoxo
    Jenina

Oh, I am NOT a mean person, but this gave me such a case of the giggles. :laugh:

Ok, now that I'm done giggling at the poor OP, I do New Rules. There are some machine exercises, but they do give you free weight alternatives to them.

Also, I'm so freaking jealous. :happy:
  • RatherBeFishing
    RatherBeFishing Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Are you doing full body workouts? Or a split workout? Like chest/bi, back/tri, and legs all on different days?
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Thanks!
    xoxo
    Jenina

Bah ha ha!
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Thanks!
    xoxo
    Jenina

Stop it! Be nice! :angry:

OP - You can use your body weight to do alot also. Here's a few suggestions:
    jumping jacks, push ups, tricep dips, squats, lunges, planks, sit ups, bicycles, burpees. With the dumb bells you can do curls, over head presses, swings, back rows. Look on google or youtube for using the correct form. Lots of good stuff you can do with only a few weights!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Thanks!
    xoxo
    Jenina

Hey, hun. I do New Rules of Lifting for Women. Some of the exercises call for an olympic bar, but you can do some dumbbell options too.
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    HAHA SORRY!!! I am on my phone and it auto adjusted what I wrote!!!! Sooo funny...
  • jeninabilan
    Options
    Glad I can give everyone a good laugh ;) (including myself) hahaha

I especially love the "step away from the poop bells" haha
  • jeninabilan
    Options
    Are you doing full body workouts? Or a split workout? Like chest/bi, back/tri, and legs all on different days?

As of right now, doing full body.. I honestly just go pick up a few weights and then get frustrated cuz I don't know what I'm doing and go run some more.. so I definitely need help in this department..
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I second Lorinas 5x5 advice, and there are loads of tutorials online. You can always get someone who works there to show you how to do the basic movements, or check your form.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you take a peak at bodybuilding.com - they have great workout routines.
  • jeninabilan
    Options
    Thanks guys! I definitely think I need to get a "real" gym membership rather than just at my apartments.. We don't even have a barbell or bench press or anything, just free weights, treadmills and elliptical.. hmmmm
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love free weights!

Some of my favourites are barbell squats, power cleans and lunges with dumbbells in each hand. You can also do bicep curls, weighted wall sits, horizontal rows, dead lifts and HEAPS of other exercises. There are some pretty good tutorials online for basic free weight exercises, or if you have access to trainers at your gym you can get one of them to show you some exercises :)

ETA: Just read that you don't have trainers or barbells but you can still do all of these exercises!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I do New Rules for Women too. Most of it calls for dumbbells, but a few things use Olympic bar or a machine (cable station & lat pull-down station), but I think the book gives DB substitutions for those.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I definitely think I need to get a "real" gym membership rather than just at my apartments.. We don't even have a barbell or bench press or anything, just free weights, treadmills and elliptical.. hmmmm

Barbells are free weights. Are you saying that there are only dumbbells at your apartment gym? - Because that would actually be more common than an apartment gym having barbells and benches and stuff.

There is still a lot you can do with dumbbells - especially if you are just starting out.
  • jeninabilan
    Options

Barbells are free weights. Are you saying that there are only dumbbells at your apartment gym? - Because that would actually be more common than an apartment gym having barbells and benches and stuff.

There is still a lot you can do with dumbbells - especially if you are just starting out.

Yes, sorry.. meant just dumbbells ;)
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    squats