Help with Workout Ideas

shanerylee
shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I just started last week. The gym that I go to doesnt have a trainer, and I was wondering how to get started. I have been doing about 35 minutes on the bike and some weight training, how do i know how many reps and sets to do for the weights? And how do I know when to bump up the minutes of bike riding etc.

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    I need help too!!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    it depends on what your goal is. If you are toning and wanting to stay lean, do lots of reps at lower weights, if you want to bulk up, do heavier weight, fewer reps. Me, I usually try to do 2-3 sets of each exercise, and i usually do like 12 reps, then 10, then 8, and if by the third set I can do more than 8, then i didnt use enough weight and will add an extra 5 pounds or so the next time. make any sense to you?

as far as cardio.. the more the merrier. I LOVE spin classes.. if your gym has them try it! It is great because the music and group atmosphere is so motivating, and it helps you forget that you are actually exercising... and I seem to push myself harder when in there than when I am doing it on my own... if they dont have classes I would suggest going as long as you can, then go 10 more minutes.

good luck to you!
    Dana
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    If you have a mp3 player, you could download the Abs Diet on audiobook. He walks you through all the exercises and reps. i found it really effective (a few years ago, before I quit the gym). I'm sure there are other similar programs, too, that will tell you what to do and cadence it for you.
  • TamaraRR
    TamaraRR Posts: 93 Member
    womens health magazine has an awesome website, with tons of fitness ideas.
    I really like doing circuit, it helps me not get bored and i tend to burn more calories. you just do say 10 on the bike, 10 on the tredmill, 10 on the stepper, and 10 on an eliptical or something around that
This discussion has been closed.