Timing: cardio in AM and weights in PM?

Options
I am forcing myself to get up early to hit the elliptical/treadmill for 30 minutes in the morning. I want to do cardio every morning to start my day off right and burn some fat to wake my body up. But unless I can get up before 6am (problem is getting to bed before 11pm), I don't have time to lift weights also.

As far as maximizing calories burned along with toning/building muscles, is it best to do cardio and weights in the same block of time? For instance, am I hindering possible progress by doing cardio in the morning and then lifting weights at night after work? Would it be better to do cardio and weights both after work? Just trying to make sure I'm getting the bang for my buck, so to speak.

Thanks!

Replies

• tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    I am no expert, but I do not think it really matters, as long as you are doing both. I do cardio every day, and weights 3 days a week, sometimes before cardio, sometimes right after, and sometimes a long time after, and I have not noticed much of a difference in any instance.
  • cluden
    cluden Posts: 3
    Options
    I don;t hink it makes that much difference unless you are conpleted knackered after your cardio, in which case you may not be able to put in the same amount of effort into your weights. But honey, just try and get in as much as you can and that's all you can ask from yourself.
  • lala9696
    Options
    I'm no expert but I do read a lot of magazines and I believe they say that you should do weights before you do cardio because it uses a different store of energy in our body. Then when we start cardio those stores are already used and you are closer to burning off fat. Not exactly sure of the scientific names right now but that's just what I can recall right now. But if your doing a split session then it doesn't really matter.
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do 30 minutes of cardio in the morning and then lift at night you should have no problems. It sounds like you have plenty of time to recover before lifting so it shouldn't cause any adverse affects in your lifting. If you were doing cycles of high intensity interval training right before lifting, I'd give a different answer. But in your situation, you should be just fine.

Some people actually swear by fasted cardio (cardio in the morning before eating anything.) Some love it, some hate it. I guess that's all personal preference. Either way, make sure you give your self some days off from lifting so your body can recover.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I like to do "fasted cardio",,, though it is hard to get up and get it done. It seems to me that if you've had no nourishment in 10+ hours, your blood sugar is probably about nothing, your digestive tract is empty, and the energy you pound into that elliptical just about has to come from bodyfat.

On the other hand, when I do my weights I need to be wide awake and nourished and feeling strong and ready to go. If not, I just can't "bring it" like I need to. I also feed with protein right after weights, dumping some calories before the sweat dries.

Anywho, for me they are 2 different things, and they need 2 different setups from a "feeling" point of view and from a nutritional point of view, and I like to break them up just as you're doing.
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    Delightful. Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to stick with cardio in the morning (apparently this is called fasted cardio, which is rather badass and I'm a fan) and then lift after work. I'll switch up the muscle groups so I give my body a chance to repair the damage. When I lift, I still warm up with 10 minutes of cardio or so. And then I'll do yoga/workout DVD on Saturday/Sunday to keep my body confused.
  • samseed101
    Options
    I like to do "fasted cardio",,, though it is hard to get up and get it done. It seems to me that if you've had no nourishment in 10+ hours, your blood sugar is probably about nothing, your digestive tract is empty, and the energy you pound into that elliptical just about has to come from bodyfat.

On the other hand, when I do my weights I need to be wide awake and nourished and feeling strong and ready to go. If not, I just can't "bring it" like I need to. I also feed with protein right after weights, dumping some calories before the sweat dries.

Anywho, for me they are 2 different things, and they need 2 different setups from a "feeling" point of view and from a nutritional point of view, and I like to break them up just as you're doing.

Pretty much described exactly what I like to do...or at least try to do most of the time. fasted light cardio on days off. Protein immediately after lifting on workout days. Only difference is, I like to toss in some HIIT after heavy lifting days as well.
  • samseed101
    Options
    Delightful. Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to stick with cardio in the morning (apparently this is called fasted cardio, which is rather badass and I'm a fan) and then lift after work. I'll switch up the muscle groups so I give my body a chance to repair the damage. When I lift, I still warm up with 10 minutes of cardio or so. And then I'll do yoga/workout DVD on Saturday/Sunday to keep my body confused.
    Sounds like you're on the right track and have a good workout routine / plan. :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I do read a lot of magazines and I believe they say that you should do weights before you do cardio because it uses a different store of energy in our body. Then when we start cardio those stores are already used and you are closer to burning off fat. Not exactly sure of the scientific names right now but that's just what I can recall right now. But if your doing a split session then it doesn't really matter.

That is absolutely not true. That is an urban fairy tale that unfortunately will not die no matter how many stakes I try to drive into it's heart.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The question is one of time and, to some extent fatigue. If you have the time to do 2 workouts a day (and you DON"T have time to do them both together), then that is fine. You may or may not find that the quality of your strength workouts improves because you are not fatigued from doing cardio. (Although I did an all-out 30 min cross trainer workout yesterday and followed that up with new personal bests in both my bench press and squat weights, so go figure)....
  • samseed101
    Options
    (Although I did an all-out 30 min cross trainer workout yesterday and followed that up with new personal bests in both my bench press and squat weights, so go figure)....

LoL I know that feeling. Some days you just feel "on" and everything feels really light for some reason. Other days everything feels like a struggle. Once for a very short period of time, I even found myself actually enjoying squats and deadlifts! But that was short-lived. they suck again ;) But I still stick to my routine because I know it needs to get done.

I tend to be a bit overly-scripted with my workouts. Before i begin the workout I already have my routine planned, right down to the reps, sets, rest period,and weight. That way I know that I am always progressing and lifting more each session, even if it's only 2.5lbs to 5lbs more. And if I hit a point where I can't progress, I change things up a bit and work on it until I can continue.