Avoiding free food at work?

Options

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    The majority of my coworkers are aware that I am trying to make healthier choices, so it helps keep me accountable.
    If I end up do wanting one of the sweets I get the " Now you told me not to give you any cake anymore, so don't be mad at me" and half the time it will remind me why I'm not eating the sweets and I'll turn it down.

It sounds like you have supportive co-workers. Lucky you.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself is it's worth it. Most common foods, like store bought cakes and doughnuts never taste as good as you expect them to and are just calorie bombs.

Plus things that are common aren't really treats... it's just food.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Just say No. That's what we teach our kids - can we have the same will power we expect them to have against something as serious as drugs against a candy bar? I think so.

I agree, great analogy!!!!!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Just say No. That's what we teach our kids - can we have the same will power we expect them to have against something as serious as drugs against a candy bar? I think so.

The two aren't comparable.

Recreational drugs are dangerous, illegal, expensive, often hard to access and not necessary to support human life. Food is necessary, often cheap, legal, and omnipresent. There are often social pressures to eat.
    It is actually...Food is only necessary if you are hungry - so bring your own....Cheap or free or legal does not mean you HAVE to eat it...Singing in the streets is legal, but I don't do that either...
    Flu germs are free, and I don't want them....Omnipresent? Because there is a bridge do I have to jump off it everytime I see it? So why eat food just because it's there?

As for social pressures to eat - if I expect my teenagers to stand up to social pressure and so no to drugs, why can I not say no to free, junky, "not what I budgeted or need" food?
    And yeah, my office constantly has food and cake and treats - and not surprisingly, a high number of seriously overweight, obese and unfit people.....
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options

The two aren't comparable.

Recreational drugs are dangerous, illegal, expensive, often hard to access and not necessary to support human life. Food is necessary, often cheap, legal, and omnipresent. There are often social pressures to eat.
    It is actually...Food is only necessary if you are hungry - so bring your own....Cheap or free or legal does not mean you HAVE to eat it...Singing in the streets is legal, but I don't do that either...
    Flu germs are free, and I don't want them....Omnipresent? Because there is a bridge do I have to jump off it everytime I see it? So why eat food just because it's there?

As for social pressures to eat - if I expect my teenagers to stand up to social pressure and so no to drugs, why can I not say no to free, junky, "not what I budgeted or need" food?

Agreed! That's why many people are overweight, because they feel like they have to say yes to everything that is put in front of them. Look at the majority of the people you work with, if you work in an office environment, I'd bet over half of them are overweight and out of shape. Mostly because of the free food, not getting up and moving around, not going to the gym after they've sat a desk all day, etc.
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use to work for a doctors office and we always had food in the kitchen. When I first start my journey I would think long and hard before eating anyting that I did not bring into the office. I would spend half the day thinking do I really want _____, do I really need ____, How will I feel after I eat _______,ect.. I would do this over and over and by then either someone else had ate it or it was time to go home. It gets easier but at first it is really hard. Also I always make sure to have snacks that are healthy and that I actually crave and enjoy eating and I always bring my lunch so I have to excuse to eat what's in the kitchen. Good luck and stay strong!!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Ugh! There is literally ALWAYS free food around my work. Chips, candy, cookies, soda, ice cream...grr! It's so hard some days!
  • laurainparis
    laurainparis Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When I manage to avoid the pizza/donuts/etc at work--and I usually do avoid it--I make sure to give myself a big pat on the back and replay my "victory over junk" in my mind. I would wear a big gold medal around my neck if I could! Then the next time someone offers junk I think about how good I felt when I was strong , vs feeling guilty for giving in. Seems to help me.
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I wish I saw this three hours ago. I would have took a picture of the table in my office 3 dozen dunkin donuts. I walked past them and avoided the middle table all morning. They are now gone and none went in my mouth ;-)!
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just imagine your coworkers' cats walking on their kitchen counters......after grubbing in the litter box. Makes potluck so much easier.
  • Great_Mazinga
    Great_Mazinga Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    For donuts and bagles [other regular office staples], I just get angry and envision the diabetes they give.
  • karenc118
    karenc118 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Children in Need coming up in our office soon, cake bakes, tins of chocs etc, i find if i dont even start im fine but if i have one choc then i forget to stop!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My office is the same way. Honestly, the only thing that's worked for me is just making up my mind not to eat it. It is hard at first, but for me it got easier after a while. And I don't always say no. Of I really want it, then I have a little. But if I'm really just thinking about the calories then I skip it.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If it's at meetings, don't get to the meeting too early. Get there right on time, so there isn't time to get a donut or pastry.
  • ljdsmith
    Options
    Toss it in the trash when no one is looking. lol.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    It's really the hardest test there is! Most likely you've already planned out your calories for the day, right? Focus on that, because honestly one little derail easily leads to others. Plus, after digging deep and walking proudly past the free food, you will feel SO good about yourself. Brag to us on MFP on how good you did! That's what we're here for.
  • desiree7hanson
    desiree7hanson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My work has food days once a month, where everyone is invited to bring something to share. They set up in the break room. I don't bring anything, don't eat anything anyone else brought, and eat lunch at my desk that day so I'm not tempted!
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I have this all the time at work. I find it helps to look up the calorie content of things. Today is a good example; it's someones birthday, so she's brought in home made cupcakes at just under 400 cals each. When I think what else I could eat for that, it just isn't worth it in my mind.

Exactly what I do. It helps to put things into perspective if I can see how many calories what I want is going to cost me. I also keep a box of 90 calorie cereal bars in my desk or rich tea biscuits and have one of those to take my mind off the other treats on offer.
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If it's something you don't actually want to eat, here are my strategies for it:

1. Stay physically away from it if you can.
    2. Chew gum
    3. Drink a lot of water
    4. Think of all the germs that might be on it from coworkers handling it.

Even if you want some, but only want a little bit, take what you want, and then walk away from the supply. Good luck!

:laugh: :laugh: #4:laugh::laugh: I do this all the time!!! I just imagine that some sweaty dirty guy just stuck his hand in the candy bowl or something!! Works for me!!! I walk right on by!! :happy:
  • kiara04
    kiara04 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse and patient's family are always bringing in boxes of chocolates and biscuits to say thank you. It's impossible for me to say no so I will have one or two and then log it straight away. it becomes a problem if you become greedy. enjoy everything you eat and exercise. x

I work in healthcare also and sometimes getting a break to eat properly can be an issue and if there is treats around then it's on for young and old.