Overestimating Calories?

Options
I sometimes overestimate calories in the foods I add to my diary. I reason that sometimes I’m not going to know the true calorie amount and will underestimate.

Does anyone else do this? Will it lead to problems in the future?

Replies

• Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Are you over or underestimating your calories (your post says that you are doing both)?

If you are overestimating them, in reality you are consuming less than what you think and therefore will lose more weight than expected (and probably feel hungrier).

If you are underestimating them, in reality you are consuming more than what you think and therefore will lose less weight (or stay the same or gain).

If you are overestimating some and underestimating others, the differences may cancel out and you'll lose the targeted weight per week.

(For exercising, the wording is opposite and replace "consuming" with burning)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing when I'm not sure. I overestimate calories and then I usually don't eat all of my calorie burn. Better safe than sorry, I say.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I try to over estimate when I can. I've read some where that we can over estimate how much we are eating by 15% so I try to over estimate to make up for that difference.