Anyone swim with a t-shirt on?(Male)

Options
I really want to learn how to swim,being overweight most of my life i have been over overweight so was never comfortable taking my shirt off,anyways,with my son almost 2 years old i dont want him to go through what i did,i want to take him swimming,however i have a real phobia of taking my clothe off in public...would it be okay to wear a tshirt in a pool?

Replies

• mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've seen men wearing shirts in pools before and I didn't think anything of it. If it's a public pool though, you might want to check their rules first. Some have strict "swim attire only" rules.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Depending on how uncomfortable you are with your body, this may or may not help, but there's form fitting "hydrodynamic" shirts you can get which will allow you to wear something on top without having to deal with a stretchy sopping wet t-shirt. I'd imagine a running compression shirt would be fine too. My best advice is get comfortable in your own skin, though I realize this is easier said than done. Just because you want to improve how you look, doesn't mean you can't be comfortable with your current reality. Just also be comfortable with the fact that you're working to change it.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Most pools I go to wouldn't allow it, but you'll see all shapes and sizes at a family session in the pool and I bet no-one will so much as glance at you. Think about it - not only will you be teaching your son to swim and introducing him to a healthy exercise lifestyle, you'll also be instilling body confidence in him. And the more you go, the close you'll get to a lifeguard body :flowerforyou:
  • asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I work as a swimming instructor, and would not recommend using an ordinary t-shirt. It gets very heavy and constraining when wet. Maybe the type of shirts worn by surfers? They are made from a material similar to swimsuits, so they are not as uncomfy in the water. I think these may be marketed as sun-protection.

And, on a side note: When I see someone very overweight in the pool (happens very often) I just think "Good for them, water is fun and great for exercise". Other people will mind their own business (hopefully), so don't worry about going shirtless.

Also: Check the rules! Where I work it is not allowed to wear anything but swimming attire. (This does, however, include full body coverage-suits for muslim women and similar gear, so a surfing-shirt should be okay).

And maybe take some swimming lessons? It could get you comfortable in the water more quickly, and swimming is great exercise.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman, but yeah. For about the last decade, I have *always* worn a t-shirt over my swim suit. I see some overweight men that do this as well. The only time I've seen it become an issue is when going down a water slide. Then they make you take it off and hang onto it until you get to the bottom.
  • elperrogigante
    Options
    Wear a dark colored tee shirt and say it's for UV protection.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It's fine but seriously, nobody cares or are happy to see the effort.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    My husband is super fit but never goes in the water without a swim shirt on - outside it really helps with sunburn but inside, really, he just doesn't feel like running around mostly naked in public - not ashamed, just more modest than most. He got his at a big-box sporting goods store, anywhere that sells athletic equipment should have them, they're not expensive and will be much more comfortable than a cotton T (not to mention legal for even the strictest pool rules).

Size is nothing to be ashamed of, but neither is modesty. Rock what you got, in whatever clothing makes you comfortable!

And totally awesome that you're getting your kid in the water :D
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    No, it's uncomfortable.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I did the walk of shame through the pool when I decided to start losing weight. I was certain that everybody was staring at me and that any second I would start hearing whale noises and harpoon impressions.

I discovered 3 things that day.....

1) It is physically impossible to die of shame. Trust me, if it was, I would have keeled over on the spot.

2) Nobody actually gives a monkeys about you. Nobody is looking. Nobody could care less what you look like,

3) There were a lot of people in that pool that looked a lot worse than I did. I didn't stare or care either.
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    They now sell shirts that are for swimming and have the added protection of sunscreen. I would suggest you look into that for a public pool appearance. I know several in my family that wear these to the beach so that they are not constantly having to chase the kids down and slather them with lotion.

http://www.coolibar.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=155540
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    They now sell shirts that are for swimming and have the added protection of sunscreen. I would suggest you look into that for a public pool appearance. I know several in my family that wear these to the beach so that they are not constantly having to chase the kids down and slather them with lotion.

http://www.coolibar.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=155540

I don't wear a shirt in the water but I would recommend something like the above vs. a standard cotton t-shirt. You may also try something like a triathlon suit. One of the advantages of swimming, as I understand it, is that your body isn't so visible when it is in the water anyway. But, yeah, I get that others might want to cover up on the deck. Best of luck.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm a girl so this is cheating but...

I have on many occasions been the biggest person at the pool, especially when I've gone to the early morning sessions which tend to be full of fit people. I used to take my towel right to the pool side and then slip in as fast as possible. I've got all sorts of wobbly bits. Also, I have huge boobs and there aren't many swimming costumes which I can trust to stay put when I swim, so there was always that.

But you know what? Not once have I ever had so much as a sideways glance or a mean word. In fact, I've had lots of smiles and friendly chats. Now I just go for it. We're all there for the same reason - fitness and fun. I bet once you have been a few times it won't bother you anymore.

That said, do whatever it takes to feel comfortable because the health benefits are amazing and your son will love it.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Most people I think would put it down to religious reasons and not ridicule.

Look up "rash vest" on eBay - these are the elastine/nylon type tops that surfers wear under a wetsuit and usually have logos like Speedo or Gul on them so they look like swimwear.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I work out (and take my daughter to swim lessons) at the YMCA. You see people of all shapes and sizes swimming there and men frequently wear shirts. If anyone questions you about it, tell them you're concerned about sun exposure. :-)