"Add Strength Training Exercise" ??

Options
So i'm supposed to go the gym for an hour, remember all the details - weights/reps/exercises for the 9-10-11 machines I use, then come back to work and plug all that data into my database? I don't think so.

Replies

• bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    LOL do you have a phone?
  • GoatBoat66
    Options
    You can add strength training as a cardio exercise and it works the same way everything else does.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I just log my time in cardio. I use Jefit to log my reps and weights as I do them. It helps to have a routine if you want to track.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A lot of people carry a notebook so they can remember it all. I put it in a memo in my phone and add it later.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have a spread sheet with the workout plan on it, I print it take it to the gym and enter the results when I get home. I keep the records in Excel rather than MFP.
  • RunnerLisa1
    RunnerLisa1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This is frustrating for me, too, so I don't log my strength training. :frown:
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    When I first started at my gym, the trainer showed me how to use the machines so for a bit I carried that with me so I'd remember what I did and what weights I used. Now I enter them into my phone so I can see how I'm increasing them (or if I need to) I enter them in when I'm resting between sets. Then I just enter it in here as one thing (for cardio)
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I write my stuff down too. That way I know where I left off last session and I can see if I am improving or not.

As for MFP, log it under cardio-> Strength Training. Better than nothing!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The lifting log on this site is awful. I just keep it all in my pen and paper notebook that goes to the gym with me.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor and add all the calories burned for the entire workout under my own created exercise in Cardio. I labeled it "Strength Training and Cardio per HRM". I can change it each time I use it.
  • martintanz
    Options
    I do my routine, just just log it on MFP as "weights". I picked an arbitrary number of sets and reps.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I used my HRM to get an average heart rate for my lifting sessions, and then added an exercise for myself that just says "upper weights" and "lower weights". At some point I'll need to go ina and change it since the weights are increasing, but I figure it's a fairly decent number since it's an average.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If only someone would invent some way of actually translating ideas and numbers and words onto some sort of easily transportable material...
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    So i'm supposed to go the gym for an hour, remember all the details - weights/reps/exercises for the 9-10-11 machines I use, then come back to work and plug all that data into my database? I don't think so.

The problem is you're using machines.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    remember these ?
    notepad.jpg
  • jorayek
    Options
    My husband and I are going to a trainer that's focusing on strength training. When he's demo'ing an exercise I'll ask him the name of it and I just type it down in a note on my iPhone, then note the weight we're using. We usually only do 4-6 exercises, so it's pretty easy to remember or at least go to exrx.net and try to find it for logging.

If I decide to push myself and go up in weight for a couple of sets, I'll just update that in my notes when I'm doing my cardio.

I've been logging 40-60 minutes of strength training each workout, and then adding my actual exercises, sets, etc. later but I found MFP has no good way (that I've found) to compare an exercise without just going thru my diary days looking for the specific exercise, so I've moved all my sets/reps/weights to a Google spreadsheet I can easily access from my phone.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    JEFIT app is free and amazing. I'm usually the last to know these technological things but apparently, I'm "in the know" regarding this. You should check it out. EXCELLENT app!

I log the minutes that I lift into MFP under "cardiovascular".
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything on here, but I have my strength training and measurement notebook...one programme I print off for easy reference. Ya I am behind the times, my phone is used for music in the gym only...
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I was using my phone to keep track for a couple months but the last week or so I just logged it as cardio. The amount of things I keep track of is ridiculous. I'm already keeping track of which cardio machines I do and how many miles I complete. When you work out as much as I do and have high fitness goals it involves a lot of notetaking. Not tracking my individual strength training was a time saver (and its not something I often go back to reference) so I'm gonna continue logging it as cardio.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I have a spread sheet with the workout plan on it, I print it take it to the gym and enter the results when I get home. I keep the records in Excel rather than MFP.

This. For the longest time I kept my stuff in a normal notebook. However, I sweat when I lift and after a few weeks the notebook would be all wrinkly and disgusting from dropping sweat on it. Same thing with the phone, that and the phone provides other distractions. So, I use a spreadsheet and update the workouts. Print it out, take it with me, after I'm done entering it I throw that nasty peice of paper away.