Great News for Ladies that Lift Weights!!

Options
SO I wanted to share this little tidbit with you...

I have been working with a personal trainer for about 2 1/2 weeks now. Working out for me has always been natural. As most people....it is the diet/nutrition that kills it for me (they say 70% of our body weight is contingent upon what we put in our mouth). Now I do not have have to much to lose....but...

My starting weight was 137. Yesterday my trainer forced me to do my "new month" weight in. I kept refusing....I have been binging a bit and drinking mucho alcohol (I live in SF...where the Giants won the world series so there has been lots of celebrating). Anyways after much persistence on my trainers end, I gave in. I was expecting that I gained two pounds! To my surprise...I step on the scale...and I weight 132!! I was in shock! I know everyone is different, but I really think what they say about lifting weights is wholeheartedly true....you MUST lift weights bc it truly turns fat into muscle. Now imagine what could happen if I just changed my diet a bit....

This is my story, what's yours???

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I was completely inspired by this until I got to "truly turns fat into muscle".

You do realize that if this physiological impossibility were to happen, and every fat cell in your body were suddenly converted to muscle, that your weight would remain about the same, but your dimensions would shrink drastically, right? Not to mention, you would be one weird looking person, what, with all of that muscle tissue suddenly connected to your skin.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I was completely inspired by this until I got to "truly turns fat into muscle".

You do realize that if this physiological impossibility were to happen, and every fat cell in your body were suddenly converted to muscle, that your weight would remain about the same, but your dimensions would shrink drastically, right? Not to mention, you would be one weird looking person, what, with all of that muscle tissue suddenly connected to your skin.

:laugh: ^^

But seriously, yes. I was doing cardio out the waa-zoo until I educated myself. I was losing more weight then, but I had more to lose. Now I'm watching the last inches go and muscle form now that I pick up heavy things each morning. I also think it's more fun than dancing around the room to salsa music with a bunch of post-menopausal women all the time.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yeah fat turning into muscle is like a cake turning into a hamburger.. it can't happen. but OP i get what you mean, but if your trainer is telling you that fat is being turned into muscle they need to be smacked on the back of the head and pushed towards a bio 101 class.

i've always been a weight lifter but it wasnt until this year that i got a handle on my diet and stopped eating 6000 cals a day but kept lifting. i lift as heavy as i can while still keeping form and i burn off lots of fat. i'm not gaining muscle a)because i'm not a newb and b) i'm not eating enough to bulk , so it's pretty much all fat loss
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Strength training will cut fat and retain what muscle you already have
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't think OP literally meant fat turns into muscle...well maybe she did but it's kind of more of an exaggeration to make a point.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Lifting weight is great, but fat doesn't "turn into muscle"; And the motivating factor to lift weights should not be the scale. More often those who lift have transcended the simpleton mindset of looking to the scale to gauge progress,
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't think OP literally meant fat turns into muscle...well maybe she did but it's kind of more of an exaggeration to make a point.

Most people *do* realize that fat doesn't "become" muscle. However, when you burn fat and gain muscle, it's an easy way to say it and have people know what you mean.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    actually no, i think many people believe that fat turns into muscle.

considering how pervasive the spot reduction of fat myth still is and how many people immediately rush to VLCD + cardio to lose body fat it's safe to say that most people have very little clue how their bodies work. in fact i'd wager a bet that some people's knowledge borders on medieval
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    actually no, i think many people believe that fat turns into muscle.

considering how pervasive the spot reduction of fat myth still is and how many people immediately rush to VLCD + cardio to lose body fat it's safe to say that most people have very little clue how their bodies work. in fact i'd wager a bet that some people's knowledge borders on medieval

I just seriously doubt that. There is a *huge* difference between believing that a specific exercise is helping a trouble zone than believing that one type of tissue magically transforms into another.

It's just like when people say they want to lose weight. They usually mean that they want to burn fat, but it's not the common way to say it.

ETA: And it is true that different types of exercise *will* alter specific body parts. This is why the spot-reduction myth is so pervasive.