Is it best to have a snack something before or after your wo

Options
Is it best to have a snack before or after your workout?:smile:

Replies

• volks80
    volks80 Posts: 56
    Options
    IMO after, I feel sick if I work out after eating anything and I am always hungry after working out.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    On Biggest Loser last night, they said to have your complex carbs and protein before your workout so you have energy and can make the most of it
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    Gee, I do both. I eat breakfast (3/4 c cereal with 2oz milk) go to work out about 1 hour later and then a snack after. Usually a special K bar or granola bar but some times a slice of cheese with some kind of deli meat and I roll it up also an egg is good. Protein is the best but the carbs satisfy my hunger. This also helps me get my calories in.
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    When I worked out after work and before dinner I would have a high protein snack about 30min before my work out, that way I wouldn't get as tired and hungry through the work out and be tempted to stop early to go home for dinner.
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    I'd say both !

Unless you ate a complete meal 2-3 hours before, you should definitely have a little something before you start working out. You really don't want you body to have to break down muscles to get the energy it requires to go through your workout ! I agree though that you can feel bad if you had too much too short before working out. I'll usually wait at least half and hour after snacking before I do my workout, a little more if I'm doing intense cardio.

And you should also have something within the half hour that follows, to re-fuel (high in carbs).
    5010 Posts: 59
    Options
    I worked out this morning before food felt quite weak ,i would say have something light to give you energy
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Options
    I will be working out during lunch. So, I was planning on having my apple about 1 hr before lunch and then a protein shake right after the workout. Then maybe my lunch about an hr or so later. Is this good?
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this one also.
    I dont eat before because it sometimes makes me feel queasy during my exercise.
    Then I am NEVER hungry afterwards.
    I will watch this for advice.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I would do the apple and protein before the workout and lunch after
  • knotarg
    knotarg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was told less than 200 calories before; slice of toast, piece of fruit. You need the glucose to not burn muscle. You should refule within 30 minutes, protein shake, banana, 5-10 almonds and some blueberries...then have lunch/dinner about an hour after that.
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Options
    I was told less than 200 calories before; slice of toast, piece of fruit. You need the glucose to not burn muscle. You should refule within 30 minutes, protein shake, banana, 5-10 almonds and some blueberries...then have lunch/dinner about an hour after that.

Yeah that's what I was planning on doing. Eating an apple about 1 hr before then a shake after. Lunch about 1 hr or so later. I will see how it goes today. Tx:bigsmile: