Eating too much one day, not enough the next...

Options

Replies

• toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Don't get into the habit of eating terribly and thinking you can "just make it up" but not eating the next day.
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't think its bad for you unless you develop a eating disorder

Pretty sure that would NEVER happen to me. I love food too much! But being anorexic one day can't hurt could it? ;)

that's not even funny.

I have an eating disorder and one cannot just " be anorexic for a day "

and we don't just not eat. we eat, just not very much. it's also about the mindset, not even the food.

ugh

I am so sorry. I didn't realize.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I must be doing it wrong. When people make jokes that happen to cover my own medical diagnoses, I don't let them distract me from the actual topic of the post.

(Well, that's not entirely true, since one of the symptoms of one of my problems is that I'm easily distracted.

Seriously, if I had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had a bowl of ice cream.)

ETA: Back to OP, yeah, zigzagging is fine, but not from a perspective of punishing yourself for a perceived wrong. And 2000 calories for two days sounds like too little to me...but I've never been one of the 1200 calorie zealots. Perhaps if you built into your plan a higher calorie limit, you wouldn't be led decisions where you feel like you have no control. Making your eating decisions calmly and rationally without feeling like you're trying to ease a craving can be very liberating in relearning a healthy relationship with food.
  • Hmm my friends with eating disorders joke about them a lot. They say its a coping mechanism to deal with something that's a really big issue they struggle with. But not everyone deals with things in the same way I guess.

yeah.. eating a normal amount and then " fasting " by not eating the next day or eating a little? that's called being disordered. I used to do that.

If one eats to much one day they NEED to eat the next day.. just not eat a bunch of horrible for your body food
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Just eat normal healthy... the extra will come back off... but 1800 calories probably isn't "extra" opposed to your TDEE. That's maintenance for me...
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    When I do that I split up the excess calories over the rest of the week and try to either eat under by that daily amount or exercise off the addiional daily amount. I like the latter the best.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I always went with, if I ate bad one day, I made sure to eat properly the next. As in, if I were you I would still eat my calorie goal for TODAY and leave yesterday in the past where it belongs. You are human, you will make mistakes.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was so busy yesterday that I did not eat anything until late at night when I got a third pounder bacon cheeseburger from Mickey D's. I actually ate half of my sons too:) Still didnt even come close to touching my daily caloric intake requirment after I did an hour on the ellyptical trainer. I never like to be that under in calories but that day I couldnt help it.
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    I wouldn't say I am punishing myself for my bad eating, although I was pissed at myself I'm not going to intentionally starve to teach myself a lesson. Like I said before, I like food to much to never eat. I should have reiterated what I meant by "eating a little" opposted to NOT eating at all.

Anyway.. thank you all for the advice. I will make myself a big yummy salad and have some fruit for lunch, and eat light for dinner. Back on track tomorrow :)
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I fast one day (24 hours) monthly and MFP can just go jump that day...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If ~1,800 cals is two days worth, you have bigger problems.

Pizza Hut (From Website, 9/1/12 - 12" Medium Pan Pizza With Pepperoni, 1 container (8 slice ea.) 2,000 calories 208 fat 96 carbs 88 16 protien 4,720 sodium

2 days worth

That's only one days worth for me, or at least, just under maintenance for one day. Looks short on protein. You should have gotten the meat lover's. :laugh:

Seriously, I hope you are eating more than 1000 calories a day.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Look at the weekly average, not day-to-day basis. That's a surefire way to end up in the room covered with pillows.
  • opps sorry replied to the wrong person so sorry if my answer looks stupid and doesn't make sense lmao
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat. If you're not don't. We all have crummy days... don't let that one day put you down :)
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't punish yourself! That won't help anything because you'll get hungry and risk binging on something unhealthy AGAIN! Just focus on eating really clean the next day. I have one or two days a week when I just go overboard but then I really try to eat as clean as possible the next day and I've been losing at LEAST one pound per week still. Don't punish yourself, forget yesterday and focus on today, everyday, ha!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's evaluate what happened:

You didn't eat at all, all day long.

Then you were obviously ravenously hungry when getting home from work, so you ate an entire pizza in one sitting.

First, we're not sure WHY you didn't eat all day long. Maybe you were just busy and didn't have a chance? (Which I think is a lame excuse except in VERY specific circumstances anyway, because even when I worked retail, I never skipped meals... like, eating is a #1 priority.) But it seems like, IF you were that busy, why would you be upset at yourself for eating so much at the end of the day? Obviously you had to make up for those missed calories, right? So, I'm assuming you were not eating all day on purpose...

Thus, you perceive that failing to continue to eat nothing at all by eating your daily calories in one sitting (because, honey, a whole pizza MAY be one day's worth of calories, but it certainly isn't two day's worth) you messed up and need to eat even less the next day.

Two things:

1) This is actually totally an eating disorder. Really. I know you don't want to hear that, but you need to seek out someone who can help.

and

2) Even if you don't want to take the #1 advice, recognize that NOT EATING ALL DAY = VERY HUNGRY PERSON BY THE END OF THE DAY = EATING. So, day 2 of what you already did is not going to solve the problem. It's just going to become an endless cycle of starving>binging>starving>binging, and so on.
  • sdumma
    sdumma Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just eat normal the next day. Odds are, you gained maybe (AT MOST) 1/4 of a lb. One or two days of healthy eating will negate that without slowing down your metabolism. Cheat days once in a while don't hurt at all. Just don't make it a common things
    ^^this
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    If ~1,800 cals is two days worth, you have bigger problems.

Pizza Hut (From Website, 9/1/12 - 12" Medium Pan Pizza With Pepperoni, 1 container (8 slice ea.) 2,000 calories 208 fat 96 carbs 88 16 protien 4,720 sodium

2 days worth

That's only one days worth for me, or at least, just under maintenance for one day. Looks short on protein. You should have gotten the meat lover's. :laugh:

Seriously, I hope you are eating more than 1000 calories a day.

LOL oh yes I do eat more than that, my intake is 1480. MFP doesn't add all of the additional meats and extra cheese (yep I went there too) and all the veggies on the pizza so I had to round up a few hundred more calories.
  • iFeelBrandNew
    iFeelBrandNew Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't think its bad for you unless you develop a eating disorder

Pretty sure that would NEVER happen to me. I love food too much! But being anorexic one day can't hurt could it? ;)

Im not sure you fully understand about ALL eating disorders. this sounds like youre on the verge of a binge eating disorder. google it. i have one. :(
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    One school of thought actually suggests exactly this method, zig zagging, for successful weight loss.