LADIES-Novasure (endometrial ablation)?? Anyone??

Options
13»

Replies

• Dezigngrl
    Options
    I just had the Novasure procedure done yesterday in my doctor's office under local anesthetic. It was very, very painful (but I've never given birth, so I can't compare it). I was given a drug the night before to dilate my cervix, then some anti-anxiety medication just before the procedure (wasn't enough!). The dilation was painful, (my doctor asked me more than once if I wanted to stop the procedure, but I soldiered on.) The actual procedure (which was only 90 seconds long) was excruciating. I was screaming and hyperventilating, and needed three people to help me focus on my breathing for those 90 seconds. As soon as the equipment was removed I felt better. Did have mild cramping for about 4 hours afterward, but some pain medications, and a hot water bottle, and I was fine. I was able to work a full day today with no pain, no cramping and very, very little discharge. Will post an update in a week's time.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I didnt want the merina either...I had the endometrial ablation. The procedure was fine...I coped with it very well...minor cramps for 24-48 hours after...but unfortunately for me it didnt work :( I may get it done again as they supposedly have some very good results on the second try
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've been put asleep for 11 different surgeries, one of which was a hysterectomy. The going under part is really no big deal. I wouldn't let that be a huge factor in your decision...
  • Quie1
    Quie1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the Novasure procedure performed yesterday in my doctor's office. It was more nerve-racking for me than the pain. Don't get me wrong about the pain though. Moreover, I had a little cramping the rest of the day, and nothing today! I took about 3 ibuprofen yesterday and that was it. Now, I hope I don't have any more menstrual cycles. I know it's a little early to tell, but I'm being very optimistic about a great future because of the procedure. I'm sad to read comments about the people who have had negative experience. Good luck to all who are considering this procedure. I probably would not have had the procedure, but my friend had it, and she loves the results "no more periods."????
  • tjejaj
    tjejaj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wish I had found a lot of negative feed back b4 I had the novasure. I had it done on oct 11th... so only about 7 wks ago and I have not gone one day without a pad. At first I was having drainage and it didn't smell very nice. And now I have been bleeding steadily for a week. I can not handle this. Alot of women say that it didn't work for them And they had to have their uterus removed to finally stop the bleeding. When they went for that operation their uterus crumbled cuz of the novasure procedure.I don't kno what I'm going to do at this point but ill tell u this, if I knew I would be bleeding like this I would not have had it done at all
  • Tswenson43
    Options
    I had the procedure done in an outpatient setting and was put under. After about two days I was fully recovered! I too was terrified but the difficulties managing my monthly cycle was becoming unbearable. I had such heavy bleeding that I had to wear a super tampon and pad, overnight pad, and would still bleed through at times even with changing both every hour! Also, my iron would drop and I felt weak and tired for 4-5 days during my cycle. All of this started when I was a teen and I had been enduring this for two decades. I already had my children and the last straw was having to go buy underwear,pants,and more tampons and pads during my lunch break at work. I would highly recommend having the procedure done for any woman that experiences this every month as it is not only disgusting but incredibly awful! If you already have your children and have a good gynecologist experienced in the procedure, I would say don't hesitate, you have definitely earned a life that is manageable! I can't express how grateful I am to have had this procedure done and not to have a period anymore. I do however still experience PMS symptoms because I still have all my hormones to remind me every month, but I would highly recommend this procedure. I hesitated and thought about it for about six months and now I could just kick myself for not doing it sooner!
  • honeylove80
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what to really expect after getting it done? The doctors tell you things but it is so nice to hear from people that have actually had it done. I to have been a little scared at hearing all the negative feedback out there but after reading all this I feel so much better. I go to have mine done next week. Thanks!
  • cerumens
    cerumens Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had an ablation in 2008 in the hospital. It was an easy experience and I have had many many procedures down there over the years.

No real period since just a day with tiny weeny bit of spotting. Best thing I EVER did for myself.

Edited to add: after I had a bit of cramping for a couple of days but nothing compared to a D&C or any other procedure I had over the years. I had slight discharge for a couple of weeks but it wasn't what I expected (not like a period or anything) that went away and wasn't painful. I went on vacation within a week of the procedure and other than not swimming due to instructions from the doctor I totally felt fine. I don't recall even needing pain pills for anything.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I had the Novasure Ablation in April of 2011 after 4 straight months of heavy bleeding. I have not had a period since. Not even a spot. It's great.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It was awesome for reducing my monthly hell - I still get a tiny period each month for three or four days, but it's better than being practically housebound for 7-10 days, for sure!

BIG BUT: It's not 100% on the birth control front. Found out the hard way that hubby still needed to get snipped... Just an FYI.
  • LeticiaCastillo
    Options
    I had the NovaSure procedure done under general anesthesia on May 9, 2014 so far everything seems to be going good a little cramping the first few days and I only took 2 Motrin 800 within the first 3 days. I have had a thyroid issue for 4 years now and I went from having 1 to 2 days of light to nothing of a menstrual cycle to 28 days of ridiculously heavy couldn't leave my house type of periods that even caused me to become anemic. my OB/GYN suggested the depo shot first and it did help stop my periods I had 2 periods that were light during those 2 years but because of my age I can only get depo for 2 years so I started bleeding again in April so it was time I went into surgery bleeding and came out with no discharge at all. best decision so far and I have my life back my next option if my periods come back will be a Hysterectomy.
  • cynthiacrickettthiers
    Options
    Hi.. I had this done 4-5 yrs ago.. went well but now i am suffering from major pains in left side every time I am at my cycle. They all started last August, and have been getting worse. My I called my Gyn and she ordered an Ultra sound. They found nothing wrong.. I was on the exam table crying in pain.. She said it could be from the NovaSure and the scare tissue, but she is not sure..... she gave me oxycodone and told me to go see my PC .... :( I never heard of such a thing... until she mentioned this and I found your forum...
  • Rayidensmama
    Options
    I'm 3 days post opp n having severe cramps. Like almost feels like active labor contractions. All I have for pain management is ibuprofen if I had this to reduce I'd ask for a hysterectomy instead. This pain doesn't seem worth it oh n yes I have the bloody watery discharge too.
  • Hezz806
    Options
    I had the Novasure ablation done in September of 2012 and couldn't be happier. I haven't had a period since my initial spotting from the procedure stopped. However, I am now noticing that when it's supposed to be "that time of the month" I get some very light, brown to dark brown (almost black), discharge. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Does this mean I'm going to start getting my period again? I really hope not!

Another thing I noticed, is that I put on some weight since having it done, and I've heard that this happens to a lot of other women. Has anyone else here had this problem also?

Thanks in advance, Hezz
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have mirena and have no problems.
    Those who are negative tend to be more vocal. I would like to have children someday so the other option you mention are out of the question for me, but may be OK for you. If you do decide to go for hysterectomy ask you Dr about hormone replacement and the consequences. You will go into early menopause which has different effects on your weight.
  • fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear an update from anyone who had NoveSure done over a year ago - I am considering this option & would like to know if you still feel it was the right choice?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Allup2Me78 wrote: »
    SEE...& I AM TERRIFIED OF BEING PUT UNDER! :(
    I was supposed to have it in-office back in August. But, it didn't go well (they actually over-medicated me in my opinion), and they decided not to do it. So, I had to reschedule for December and I'm going to have it done at the hospital under total sedation. But, I have heard great things about it (although it doesn't work for everyone), and I'm looking forward to it. I also have HBP and can't take pills or shots, so it was about my only other option.

Why? Have you never had surgery before?

What does your doctor think is the best and most appropriate option for you?