My case for weighing yourself every day.

Options

Replies

• drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm another daily weigher - for now, anyway. I think once I get closer to goal, I'll go to once a week or once a month. I only log here once a month, but I do log the daily weight with an app called happy scale. Show trends etc and it helps me to see that even though I may go up one day, it's not the end of the world. I also learn the trends - like what happens with too much sodium or at a certain time of month, I can jump3-4 pounds for a few days and then suddenly drop 5-6. Helps keep me sane to know these things. But I have been known to take a break if I find the # bothering me.

It really is all up to the person. You have to know how weighing yourself effects you and then do what suits you.
  • Magda_Castle
    Magda_Castle Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, always at the same time, before I get dressed but I log weekly :)
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have often heard that you shouldn't weigh yourself every day because your weight will fluctuate and you may be discouraged. Well if you weigh in once a week and that happens to be the day you fluctuate up, tell me that is not discouraging having no weight loss in a week.

My thoughts exactly!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I turned off the automatic weight loss posting feature though, because I was wearing out my friends having to congratulate me on "one pound lost" every other day, when it was the same pound.
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    I've found that weighing in every day has made me care less about the number. Like others have said when you put all of that weeks progress in one number, I feel it's easier to get discouraged. I weigh every morning but don't mind the number and have my "official" weigh in one day a week. That's the one I record on MFP.
  • Kina7381
    Kina7381 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great idea!
  • AyeHarper
    Options
    I weigh every day to see the process and to make my skin a little tougher. Sometimes it just makes me work harder. You can't cry about it if you see a constant pattern in gain and loss. It's interesting to watch. It truly does make you care less about the number.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day.

Lots of people recommend setting a weekly weigh in, which is a good idea I guess if you have scale anxiety, but I don't really understand it. The idea is to get an snapshot not of your weight but of the trend, but drastically reducing your sample frequency isn't going to magically make your once-weekly weigh in date immune to the effects of daily variation, it just ultimately means you have less information to work with.

If I fit all the data points on a chart, the trend line averages out to a nice, smooth, just-under-a-pound-a-week loss. Which is exactly what you'd predict, going off my burn:intake ratio.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only log weekly. :)

Same. I log on Friday's but weigh everyday, just simply out of habit.
  • accokeekjudi
    accokeekjudi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thought I was the only one who does that. I agree 100%. Whatever works!
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You are all mad never heard anything so silly in all my life, as long as your happy though
  • frodopuppy
    Options
    I weigh everyday for the same reason. my low for the week is my weight sometimes I go up but it drops off soon enough. I've seen to many people weigh in on a bad day and get bummed, besides it's the only way I can tell how my body reacts to different foods and that's how I went from close to 200 hundred pounds to staying in my weight range for over 20 yrs. I have got to face the number on the scale or things can get out of control. To each his own.
  • sousiechef
    sousiechef Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yup everyday weigh in first thing in the AM and last thing before hit the sack.
    Keeps me more motivated and on top of any major changes
  • danzplan
    Options
    I gues it depends for. If you are looking for short term success the I believe that weighing in everday may help. But if you are in for the long haul I dont really think it matters. What is most important is changing behavior. Working out and making smarter food choices may not show up daily. However, if you stick to it then no matter when you weigh in you are bound to see some encouraging reasults.

For beginners like myself I do not let the scale measure my success. My waist and overall feeling it what keeps me motivated. Doing this with my wife is also a big motivator because we push each other.

No matter what you do just keep going!!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start doing this! I had a really good week and half, but the scale isn't showing that :grumble:

Measure inches.
  • cdcjensen
    cdcjensen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As many others have already said, I step on the scale several times a day, too. It has been tremendous for me to learn my body. I don't starve myself or anything else based on the daily movement of the scale, but I sure have learned valuable things, such as eating a lot of carbs after about 2PM results in no scale movement for over a day for me. Long-term, those kinds of things are helpful in making a plan and then working the plan.
  • BlubberBlaster78
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and I track it here on MFP. I like to see the graphs, it helps me stay motivated. If my weight goes up, it's no big deal, I know it fluctuates. If it goes down then I'm super pumped! I think everyone does their own journey their own way, what works for me might not work for you. Each to their own.
  • foxxyroxy12
    foxxyroxy12 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, mostly. Somedays, I get caught up and forget but I try to do it first thing in the morning after my morning BM. LOL! No biggie if I go up a pound or two because I have high blood pressure and I tend to retain water when I have salty meals. So if the scale is up one day, I try to make sure that I drink lots of water and watch my salt intake to get rid of the swelling. I feel that it keeps me on track with my goals.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh every day or every other. I'll skip if I know I had a dinner high in sodium the night before because I KNOW that would be discouraging in the morning. I also stay far from the scale during and before that time of month.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. It's good for some people, it's bad for others. Just don't give up--that's the main point.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!