bummed

Options
I'm really bummed I started my weight loss two weeks ago. The first week I lost 6 pounds now this week I gained 2 :( Anyone else have these set backs and how do you bounce back?

Replies

• gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's not a set back. You are still down 4 pounds! Loosing 6 pounds in one week isn't really good for you. Depending on what you did, your body could have adjusted itself back. Start adjusting your diet and exercise habits in a healthy way and keep on trucking. Eventually the weight will come off and you will know how to eat to keep it down. It will take time 1 - 2 pounds a week but you will get better results.

Forgive yourself and start a new day.

edited: (sorry read the time wrong. Still you're going good)
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    4 pounds in 2 weeks is brilliant... this is for the long haul don't get caught up too much on the early numbers.
  • dlg1467
    dlg1467 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That first 6 pounds is mostly water. I do the same thing. It will even out and you should work to 1-2 pounds/month. Keep at it, keep drinking water. It will come. Think of it as 2 steps forward, 1 step back, eventually we get to our goals.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    2 pounds is only visible if you are a small domestic animal. You are losing, overall, so don't worry about normal fluctuations.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I'm really bummed I started my weight loss two weeks ago. The first week I lost 6 pounds now this week I gained 2 :( Anyone else have these set backs and how do you bounce back?

No worries. The water in your body fluctuates.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • Heat120
    Options
    that is exactly what happened to me and I was very discouraged, then someone told me I was not taking in enough calories during the day, so I switched my eating habits a bit and now I am starting to lose again. I hope it keeps up. I'm concentrating more on how I feel rather than the actual weight loss in a week, and I've been feeling very good by eating right, I'm hoping the loss will just come naturally, it has to if you are eating less and exercising. good luck