Any adivce for knee pain?

Options
I've been walking a lot and started experiencing knee pain in only one knee. Seems to get worse the longer I'm standing/walking, and the problem has been going on about a month. For a few weeks the problem seemed to be on the outside of the knee, then a week or two on the inside of the knee, and now it's kind of throbbing in general. I've started glucosamine supplements to help in case it's a joint problem, but wonder if anyone has any insights? I'm hesitant to see my doctor because I don't expect he'll be able to do anything. Seriously, I haven't been doing any crazy aerobics or anything, just walking-- although sometimes on uneven ground.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have zero reflex left in my knees. I used to run a whole lot and I would wrap ace bandages around my knees to give them a little support. Now I just try to do this that won't be as hard on my knees like biking and lifting.
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    I use Voltaren (the joint pain one, not the regular) and it's amazing when it comes to any joint pain. Instant relief.

But this is not a long term solution. From now on I would always do yoga warm up exercises for the knees before you do any exercise. If you have heat pads, use one for 15 mins before you go walking. It will help with blood flow and prevent injury.

As you continue to lose weight, your knees will be less strained from walking and hopefully the problem will be gone. If however none of this helps and the pain gets worse, you will have to stop walking (or at least until you lose more weight). I would switch to a cycling cardio machine or swimming in that case.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Knee pain is often a manifestation of other problems such as muscular imbalances, weak glutes / hips etc.

Try some of the stretches and exercises, they may help:

http://www.runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6099

http://www.saturdaymorningzen.com/2010/10/exercises-to-strengthen-glutes-hips-and-it-band/

http://www.active.com/fitness/injury-prevention
  • TheeGeeMarie
    TheeGeeMarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling has helped my knee pain. I roll my glutes, quads, hamstrings, hips and both the inside and outside of my knees. Don't just do the knees, because you never know if tightness in one spot is causing referred pain in another.

Here's a good how-to link (ignore the title if it offends you): http://www.nomeatathlete.com/foam-rolling/
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    When I run out of fish oil and forget to buy some for a while... My knees start to hurt a bit.

I usually take two 900mg Omega-3 Softgels a day.

It helps me.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I take fish oil (almost) every day.
    I keep thinking it can't be a muscular problem, because in general I am very flexible. However, there's no harm in trying some stretching and foam roller to see if it helps.
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    HI....I've had some knee pain..I looked up the anatomy of the knee online...there was only one ligament in the area of the knee that was bothering me...then I looked up on you tube for advice about injuries to that ligament they described the exact pain I was getting. I then looked up advice for exercises to do to strengthen it and what exercises to avoid...so far this has worked...

I know I probably should've gone to a physio as a little knowledge can be dangerous but I'm pretty sure what I'm doing is helping :)

Hope you find a solution.
  • jackflak
    jackflak Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    As I'm about to have a hip replacement (one month from now) I know I tried everything before I finally went to the doctor. Diagnosis? Osteoarthritis. I was 55. I lost the few pounds that I needed to at the time and got some physical therapy and it all did help for a while. About a year ago I started a job that had me on my feet for 8 hours straight, mostly just standing, and the pain came back with a vengeance. Xrays showed the arthritis had gotten worse. 4 steroid injections later there was no more denying it. So, I will be bionic a month from now and if the universe is smiling at me, I will be pain free. Knees also tend to go, but I would definitely recommend doing everything you can do non-invasively before resorting to surgery. I know they have another injectable that is approved only for use in knees that has worked wonders in staving off knee replacements. You really might want to consider taking your knee to the doctor and see what you're actually dealing (self-diagnosis isn't wise) with then see what course of action is best for you.
  • nefbaker
    Options
    I've been walking a lot and started experiencing knee pain in only one knee. Seems to get worse the longer I'm standing/walking, and the problem has been going on about a month. For a few weeks the problem seemed to be on the outside of the knee, then a week or two on the inside of the knee, and now it's kind of throbbing in general. I've started glucosamine supplements to help in case it's a joint problem, but wonder if anyone has any insights? I'm hesitant to see my doctor because I don't expect he'll be able to do anything. Seriously, I haven't been doing any crazy aerobics or anything, just walking-- although sometimes on uneven ground.

Get good shoes. Really good shoes. If you a pronating (rolling inward or outward) when you walk, it will put stress on your knees.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My knee issues got a lot better when I started to focus on strengthening the supporting muscles.