Business travel has killed my progress!

Options
I'm curious how everyone handles their chaotic weeks to stay on their calorie pace. Traveling in the last two weeks has killed my progress and I have had trouble knowing what my calorie intake is while limit exercise. Is there any good ideas out there. After losing my first 9 pounds the last 10 have been a major hurtle.

Replies

• sweetteacher123
    Options
    Pack snacks with you, like Kashi bars or protien bars. Eat fruit and/or bring it with you! Order salads or light seafood options whenever you can while eating out. Try to squeeze a workout in the hotel fitness center. And, try to cut out the business drinks. No fun, I know! Good luck!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I make sure to use the hotel facilities either in the AM before work or immediately after work. If there's a store nearby, stock up on healthy low-cal snacks for the room. And eat light for dinner.
  • KariM
    KariM Posts: 53
    Options
    The last time I traveled I booked a hotel that was 1.5 -2 miles from the conference and I walked back and forth (and up hill too), excersied in the AM at hotel gym, controlled my breakfast eating and did the best I could with lunch and dinner - I wasn't perfect - but I did lose a few pounds. I also packed by own snacks from home (granola bars, ) and bought bottled water to keep in the hotel room. Soda and after dinner drinks are so bad :(
  • dljochum
    dljochum Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good ideas I will try them. As for the hotel health spa it closes at 9 and our business dinners end at 10. Think I might walk and do push ups before bed. Any other ideas are welcomed. Thanks!
  • ropsnik
    ropsnik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I travel 100+ days a year and I know exactly how you feel. Using the MFP site has now made me change my eating and exercise habits. I now do the following: I stay at hotels that offer a free continental breakfast. Normally you can get oatmeal, fresh fruit etc. In my bags, I pack Oatmeal just in case. Most hotels have a coffee maker and you can make your own breakfast. I now look at national restuarant chains on MFP and suggest restaurants before I go to them. For example, on the food tab type in Outback and you can see the calorie counts of their various menu items. Try their petite Outback Fillet with brocolli as the side.For me it works in both taste and calories. I also travel with sneakers. I take advantage of the treadmills and bicycles at the hotel and try to get in 30 minutes before I start my day. If I don't, I now suggest to my peers to have an hour of free time before going out to dinner after a long day of meetings. This way I can take a walk, use the hotel gym and get out of the travel rut mentality. I also found that when I first get to my hotel, I find the nearest Grocery market chain. I get water, fresh fruit and prepacked salads that I carry with me for my lunch. It all comes down to will power with those long nights on the road.Logging your food intake daily on the MFP site also keeps you in check.

Good luck in your travel.
  • dljochum
    dljochum Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Finally getting ready to head down to the gym to work out while out of town!!! Whooohoooo!!!!!
  • ropsnik
    ropsnik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor. It is very basic one, you can replace your own batteries and it cost $90 at REI. And really works. The calories burned and pulse are different and I would think more reliable than what you see on the exercise equipment in the hotels. It measures calories, time in your heart zone, max heart rate and avg heart rate. It does not have all the bells and whistles as a more expensive one, but it does make the workouts more interesting. I also like listening to a good talk radio host such as Michael Savage or Rush Limbo on my iPhone to keep my mind occupied. Safe travels!