Weird question for you guys...

Options
What's the deal with smelling a girl's hair? I just don't understand. Does it smell good? Because I'm pretty sure my hair smells like nothing... :huh:

Replies

• kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    who is smelling whose hair??

I like when a girl has nice smelling shampoo, but I don't actively seek smelling it.

and I admit to being a creep ;)
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    We just want to know what our hands will smell like when we grab it!

lol...

I don't do that, though. Sometimes I sniff my own armpit, sometimes scratch it, but thats about it.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options

I like when a girl has nice smelling shampoo, but I don't actively seek smelling it.

lol okay, context. We're laying in bed just talking, and he turns and sticks his nose in my hair and sniffs, then goes back to whatever he was doing.

Whhhyyy?
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options

lol okay, context. We're laying in bed just talking, and he turns and sticks his nose in my hair and sniffs, then goes back to whatever he was doing.

Whhhyyy?

you might be used to the smell of your shampoo/conditioner/other things girls use that I don't know about, but more than likely it smells nice and he likes it
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    pheromones, and smells good.

tumblr_llxrw4oNOH1qzjrp2o1_500_thumb.jpg

kind of like dogs and butts.

girl-and-a-laughing-dog.jpg
  • tonightokayalright
    Options

omg i'm dying. Best response.
  • nikilis
    Options
    pheromones come out of the top of your head and the strength with which scent ties to memory. Longer answer short, they can't resist.

Pheromones are an often unsung element of human attraction. Released in the form of unique chemical secretions, their biological purpose is to trigger a social response between one person and another through an appeal to the sense of smell. In other words, we all emit a unique scent that some people are attracted to on a pure, biological level. Since it's been said that most pheromones are released through the scalp and other hair follicles, it stands to reason that they would have some effect on the men who consciously or subconsciously seek to sniff a girl's hair. Thus, when a guy smells a girl's hair, he's smelling her every bit as much as he's enjoying the scent of her lovely locks.

source: http://hair.blurtit.com/q576436.html
  • nikilis
    Options
    omg i'm dying. Best response.

I'll do anything, literally anything to post that picture of the dog. kills me every time.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Whhhyyy?

Hair located where? Actually, It doesn't matter. Your boyfriend is gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Or he's a serial killer. Not that there's anything wrong with that
  • kmarie0614
    kmarie0614 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When my ex would come home or leave for deployment he would always smell my hair... I think its an attachment thing, not really sure. He said when he was gone he could remember the smell of freshly washed hair, my perfume, etc. Then when he got to smell those things again, he knew he was where he should be. So idk...
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Whhhyyy?

Don't suppose you could just ask?
  • tonightokayalright
    Options

Whhhyyy?

Hair located where? Actually, It doesn't matter. Your boyfriend is gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Or he's a serial killer. Not that there's anything wrong with that

That's... um... lol no. Troll.
    Don't suppose you could just ask?

Why, when I can get a stranger's opinion? I already told him I thought he had a weird obsession with my hair, wouldn't want to make it worse :P
    When my ex would come home or leave for deployment he would always smell my hair... I think its an attachment thing, not really sure. He said when he was gone he could remember the smell of freshly washed hair, my perfume, etc. Then when he got to smell those things again, he knew he was where he should be. So idk...

Cute... We don't get to see each other much, that could be a reasonable explanation.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options

Good thing I didn't have any fluids in my mouth :drinker:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    it's the smell of a the shampoo/conditioner you use. he has good memories associated with it in his head and that smell brings back those memories, the same way when you hear a song you haven't heard in years, it brings up memories of things you haven't thought about in years. this is how the brain stores data. i sometimes get a whiff of a smell that i haven't smelled in decades and i immediately recall things from long ago that are associated with the smell. for example, i had a horse as a kid. there was a fly repellent that came in a metal can that you poured onto a glove used to apply it to the horse. it had a unique smell. when i smell anything close to that, i'm immediately transported back to my time as a kid around my horse... i remember all sorts of things. specific faces. specific voices. specific images. all keyed to that smell in my memory.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Most likely because whatever shampoo you use smells good...
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    This fun little episode will explain all about scent (on youtube now)... Cute show I used to watch with my kids. http://youtu.be/qF8r0IHZXIc
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    If I use a very fragrant conditioner, I can smell my own hair IF I smoosh it up under my nose.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you. I have long hair that takes a long time to dry. My guy will smell it and play with it when it is wet or damp. Not so much when it is dry. Doesn't seem to matter what shampoo or conditioner I use. If I go to bed with damp hair I can count on his head being right next to mine with his nose buried in it all night.
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I would rather women to be bald and not smelly to be honest...
  • BigDanTX
    BigDanTX Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sense of smell plays a huge part in our lives. It has the abilaty to help us relax, warn us of dangers and even trigger memories. Like how the smell of stale beer, sweat and body glitter reminds me of the first strip club I snuck into. The fact that he enjoys your scent is not a bad thing. It's more of a primal hunter/gather thing going on. Now if he starts wearing your undies on his head and asks you to dress like his grandma you have a whole other set of issues to deal with.