Tonsil surgery as an adult???

Options
2»

Replies

• TheNEWMonicaB
    TheNEWMonicaB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed last year when I was 29. To be honest, I was prepared for the worst and it wasn't that terrible. The first few days were uncomfortable, I had a difficult time taking the pain meds and antibotics. But my mother, who is a nurse told me that I'd regret not taking all the meds and I forced them down. Day one and two post opt are pretty hazy. I slept the majority of the time, and had a bit of difficulty finding something I could drink. The best thing I found to drink was room temperature gatoraid and apple juice. After three days of only gatoraid and apple juice I upped the ante to include warm jello (not set), sorbet and chicken with rice soup (warm). By day five I was eating soft foods and on day 8 my doctor cleared me to eat solid foods, resume exercising and go back to work. I had scheduled a two week medical leave from my job and spent the second week having a "stay-cation".

The big things that I believe helped me in a swift recovery were the following:
    -dedication to taking meds and having someone (my mother) to take care of me for the first 48 hours
    -taking ample time off of work
    -sleeping insane amounts
    -crummy trashy magazines (people, US, etc)
    -gatoraid (seriously, stock up on it...)
    -being excited to lose weight (lost 13lbs in two weeks.. and it stayed off)
    -having a positive attitude

you're going to do just fine. best of luck.
    This is some great advice! I have taken 8 days off of work and I will be able to extend it or work from home after that if I need to, so that should be fine. I am blessed to have a wonderful hubby who will take good care of me. Glad your experience was better than expected. That is what I am going with... Expect the worse and hope for the best.
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    Options
    I had my tonsils removed as a teenager. But I had a serious tonsil infection at the time(it was actually an emergency surgery because my recurrent strep turned into this horrid infection). My surgery took 3x as long as normal, so maybe my opinion will help. They used a laser to get them out, I think that is what they always use now - it cauterizes the wound. So expect it to taste like a bonfire when you wake up. Yes it is quite painful when you wake up, but it gets better fast! It hurts, but strep is nearly as bad. Take the painkillers they give you, and it won't be that awful. It's definitely not the worst pain ever, I had mono and that was 10x more painful. Try not to get too worried about it, I can nearly guarantee you've experienced as bad or worse if you have to have them removed. Your health will improve so much too - I hardly ever get sick compared to the way I used to! Hang in there. (;
    Thanks so much... That is the 1st I have heard about the "bonfire" taste after surgery. Now I won't be surprised... Lol! And you are 100% right, the pain from strep can be near unbearable, so I am experienced with that.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in my twenties. It hurts, but pain fades with time and you'll get through it. I ate a lot of ice cream. For me it was absolutely worth it, I used to have constant sore throats that turned into colds that turned into bronchitis. I'm so much better off. Good luck!
  • KatieT451956
    Options
    Hi,
    I am a retired nurse, and it is definately more difficult for adults than children to recover. Lots of Ice cream, applesauce, fruit smoothies, things that can be swallowed easily>

Good luck to you.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    One thing I forgot to mention: Drink often, baby sips. Keeping your throat moist helps with healing and aids in preventing your scabs being bothersome (such a glamorous phrase). Also I was not able to drink from a straw for about two weeks after the doc cleared me to exercise and go back to work. I'm not sure why drinking from a straw was so tricky, but it hurt.. So I avoided it.

You are going to do great. You are lucky to have such a devoted husband to take care of you. Also.. Think about how great it will be to not be prone to throat infections!

edit: steer clear of ice cream and other dairy foods. they will congest you and make your saliva thick.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I had mine out as an adult. OMG not a good experience. I found that having ice water by my side of great help. Including when I went to bed. As far as eating cold items only. I did a lot of jello.
    The pain meds they gave me just barely took the edge off still a lot of pain. The side effects I got from the meds made it a bit hard in walking through door ways as I seen three of them. I was a bit loupe on them. (I usually am though on anything stronger than Motrin)
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    Options
    One thing I forgot to mention: Drink often, baby sips. Keeping your throat moist helps with healing and aids in preventing your scabs being bothersome (such a glamorous phrase). Also I was not able to drink from a straw for about two weeks after the doc cleared me to exercise and go back to work. I'm not sure why drinking from a straw was so tricky, but it hurt.. So I avoided it.

You are going to do great. You are lucky to have such a devoted husband to take care of you. Also.. Think about how great it will be to not be prone to throat infections!

edit: steer clear of ice cream and other dairy foods. they will congest you and make your saliva thick.
    Thanks... I am taking good notes for January! Yes, the scabs phase sounds so very glamarous! :laugh: And yes, I am very fortunate to have married such a wonderful man and great caretaker. I will surely want for nothing while I recover. :heart:
  • ShellRaymo
    ShellRaymo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

On 4-1-11 I had a UPP (Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty), Tonsillectomy, and Nasal septum deviation repair. I swear if it wasn't for my husband well I don't know what I would have done and without my face being right beside a warm humidifier I don't think I would have been able to make it. It is painful, but as others said I am thankful I went through it.

I hope you do not go through the pain and recovery very quickly :)
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    Options
    Hi,

On 4-1-11 I had a UPP (Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty), Tonsillectomy, and Nasal septum deviation repair. I swear if it wasn't for my husband well I don't know what I would have done and without my face being right beside a warm humidifier I don't think I would have been able to make it. It is painful, but as others said I am thankful I went through it.

I hope you do not go through the pain and recovery very quickly :)
    Wow! That is quote a mouthfull! Talk about a triple whammy! I am so glad you made it through and had a good outcome. Husbands like ours are true gems to find!
    P.S. Are thouse your kitties in your profile pic? They are beautiful and that is a great pic. We are a 2 cat household too!
  • ShellRaymo
    ShellRaymo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    hi!!!

They are my babies indeed. The black one is name Precious and the Orange is named Lucy.

We are lucky indeed to have such great husbands :)

Like some others said, I couldn't drink any dairy as it just coated my throat and made me feel like I was choking. Luke warm water worked best for me.
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I had mine at 20, and my doctor told me to eat scratchy things like toast, not to be a wuss and eat soft things. I did what I was told but it hurt a lot. However, it helped me a lot, I had been sick so often before that and finally didn't have infections all the time.

After I awoke from the operation, I vomited blood all over myself, which was absolutely disgusting and unexpected. I believe it's quite a normal reaction though. I'm glad I did it, but it was not enjoyable. I think it took me about three weeks to get past it all and feel normal again.
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It's 18 years later and in the last few years I have begun to have two or three bad sore throats a year that take a few weeks to get better. I hope it's not that my tonsils are growing back but for many years I was free.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Had mine out at 19. I spent most of my life up until that point with strep throat from October through April unless I was on antibiotics.

There were a few really bad days, but take the drugs they offer. I was in college, and was back in class after a week, and after two weeks was pretty much back to normal.

I haven't had strep since then, btw.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I had mine out at 29. Definitely plan to have 2 weeks off of work. I had mine out on a Monday and ate thanksgiving diner with family on that Thursday, only soft stuff of course. Awful pain, it was day 10 before I had any decrease in my pain level at all. I ate lots of oatmeal and applesauce and soup.
  • trdepalo
    trdepalo Posts: 106
    Options
    I had it as an adult, and yes it was painful. A week after the surgery too the scab fell off in the back of my throat and it started to bleed... and I almost bled to death. True story, I lost half of my blood volume until they put me into an emergency operation when the cauterized the back of my throat, couldn't speak for two weeks.
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    Options
    Wow... Really good tips and advice here. Thank you! The scabs falling off stage is definitely what scares me the most. I have heard more than a few stories about bleeding complications once that happens. I will follow this advice and all of the doctors orders to a tee and hope that this will all go smoothly. I wish I did not have 2+ months ahead of me to think about it, but it will all work out just fine. I have lots to focus on until then.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I had mine out as an adult, and it was a breeze. I got to lay around for a few days and eat ice cream and soup. I don't remember pain at all, but if I had any, it wouldn't have compared to the pains that led to me getting them out in the first place. I had no trouble swallowing pills, but you may ask your doctor if it would be better for you to take liquids or pills and make sure they write your script accordingly and give you a back up number to call if the script you are written doesn't work for you. Also, stay ahead of the pain-begin taking your pain meds as soon as you are allowed and stay on top of taking them regularly. Your doctor will give you an idea of how long to take them regularly before waiting for pain. I don't remember this scabbing or bleeding phase either. In all seriousness, I was thrilled to get mine out and very impressed with the lack of pain. I expected it to be terrible. There is definitely hope for an easy recovery. :smile:
  • i'm getting mine out in March!!!! i am super scared!
  • ellie74020
    ellie74020 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how the surgery went in March? I am due to have mine out in a month and I am terrified