Mayo Substitute?

Options
SarahBethS
SarahBethS Posts: 29 Member
Anyone know of something low calorie I can use for egg salad and tuna besides mayo? I don't like miracle whip and I will use light mayo if I have to but I'd rather not. Any ideas?

Replies

• CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Try Laughing Cow light swiss wedges. It may sounds strange, but it is good.
  • sawtoothtye
    Options
    I use mustard and maybe a dribble of water or butter. Mustard is really low cal.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    I use Vegenaise in either original or grapeseed oil versions. You don't need to use much, and it's only about 90 cals. per 2 TBSP. I always use 1 TBSP instead and so it's really low. It also has zero cholesterol, which I love.
    It tastes ALOT less...greasy and fatty than regular mayo. I would never want to eat reg. mayo again. Here's the link: http://www.followyourheart.com/
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I got this out of a vegetarian cookbook and I have not bought mayo since. It is not as thick as mayo but mimics the flavor well and is easy to make.

1 box silken tofu
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    2 tsp sugar/honey/sweetener of your choice
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    2-3 tablespoons canola (or olive) oil

mix in blender/processor.
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options
    I use low fat sour cream, it's not sweet like miracle whip and lf mayos, nice and tangy and only 40 calories for 2 tablespoons! makes a really cream sandwich :) enjoy!
  • amaxwell28
    amaxwell28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Plain Flavored Yogurt
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    I use the Hellman's canola mayonaise. The ingredient list doesn't make me cringe, and it's a lot healthier than regular mayo. I can NOT tell the difference. And I use a lot less than I would have used regular. I try to avoid mayo whenever possible, but there are somethings (to me) that MUST have it, so I use this.

45 calories per tablespoon, 4.5 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat (all of the fat is the "good" fat, mono and poly)
  • CMLaughman
    Options
    I know you said that you don't like Miracle Whip. My wife is also a hater, however , she did find that she DOES like the Miracle Whip light! It is alot less tangy and well... Miracle Whipy...lol. try it, you just might like it :)
  • amaxwell28
    amaxwell28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What is the nutritional info per serving on this mayo substitute? Sounds yummy!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    For egg salad I do a little Greek yogurt, some lemon juice, celery, and chives on whole grain bread with a little lettuce. Yum.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Hummus.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I just use regular sour cream in chicken salad and egg salad. If I'm making chicken salad with apples & raisens/craisens, I may sub some fat free plain yogurt for the sour cream. I've always hated mayo. :sick:

On sandwiches lately I've fallen in love with onion and chive cream cheese (again, just buy the stinkin' regular kind) and I also often use mashed avocado.
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    >>What is the nutritional info per serving on this mayo substitute? Sounds yummy!

If you are taking about my recipe, I did a little math and if you ate 1/8th of the recipe (1-2 tablespoons) it would be 63 calories.
  • SnakePlissken
    SnakePlissken Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    any kind of Salsa.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I second vegenaise, and hummus. Both are excellent for you, and delicious.
  • Jennfit
    Options
    yogurt cheese
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I started using veganaise when I found out I had milk and egg allergies. I love it! I use it on sandwiches. I also make a veggie dip out of it. I mix equal amounts of veganaise and plain soy yogurt (those without allergies could use regular) with a little dash of seasonings or Hidden Valley party dip mix. Yummo on my veggies. Hummus is good too.
  • aam_84
    aam_84 Posts: 46
    Options
    I have used Laughing Cow cheese on my sandwiches in place of mayo but im not sure about with tuna salad!
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm on a tzatziki sauce kick. I love the flavor of it and it has less calories than mayo