Working Abs Everyday?!!

Options
I have been told you should only work abs every other day, but then I was reading that you can work them every day and that they are the only muscles that should be? Is this true? If I do work them every day will it help me gain my abs faster? Or will I gain them faster by taking a break every other day?

Thanks guys

Replies

• tomdrinkard
    tomdrinkard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've read that they can be worked every day. As for frequency, I would see how I felt. If you're interested in having a six-pack you're better off focusing on losing weight than over-exercising your abs.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If abs are a muscle group, then it makes sense to work them under the same principles as every other group, no? If all the other groups need rest then so do abs. Personally, I only work my abs directly once per week for a out 3 mins. Also, if by gaining abs you mean a flat stomach where the outline of abs is visible, that is achieved by adjusting your diet so that you lose fat over your entire order body, and not by doing endless crunches every other day
  • BrittanyBrines
    BrittanyBrines Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have a fairly great diet, we are vegan and we eat quite good. My body fat is almost down completely and I am starting to see that "line" or "dent" down the middle of my stomach. I have a bit of fat in the middle (I had a baby 9 months ago), but other than that, not too much. I have been doing cardio every day though as well. So that's why I thought I would ask. :) Any more tips or hints would be fantastic. :)
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    They are a strong muscle, and yes I'm sure they CAN be worked every day. But like all muscles, they need to rest and repair, too.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've wondered about this - I've been doing the 'Weider 6' routine which is designed to be done every day, or with a one day rest a week. (Mostly chose it because it's simple and there's an app for it, so can easily do it at the indoor climbing wall etc.

Didn't work in with the conventional wisdom I've read, but not like that means anything, especially when you're talking about random people on the internet :).

And yes, do appreciate abs are made in the kitchen etc - but would like a bit more substance to have a chance of showing through as I'm getting nearer to 10% BF.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have a fairly great diet, we are vegan and we eat quite good. My body fat is almost down completely and I am starting to see that "line" or "dent" down the middle of my stomach. I have a bit of fat in the middle (I had a baby 9 months ago), but other than that, not too much. I have been doing cardio every day though as well. So that's why I thought I would ask. :) Any more tips or hints would be fantastic. :)

1. That baby in your photo is adorable
    2. Being vegan is not a in and of itself a guarantee that you are eating *in a calorie deficit* to lose weight. You still have to watch your macros. (note: I'm not saying you aren't as I don't have access to your dairy. I'm just being needlessly argumentative, as is my wont)
    3. When I do my abs once per week, I do toes to bar and windshield wipers, the second and fifth variations in the video I'll link to at the bottom of this post. The rest of the time my abs get enough work indirectly from my other strength training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqOgtFcqWbE&feature=share&list=PLFC9057ECEA401CCC
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    From what I recall, the abs and the biceps are two of the quickest-recovering muscles in the body.

That being said though, I would personally treat them like any other muscle group - I try to avoid hitting anything on two days back-to-back.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Did a bit of googling earlier.

Plenty of people on both sides.

This is the closest I've come to any 'science' so far.
    http://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article folder/abdominal.html?utm_source=REFERENCES_R7
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    One question: Why do you want to work your abs every day? If you want to build your abs you might get a larger midsection (I aim for a strong physique but have been advised to avoid too much of the ab workouts to have a smaller waist), I personally have chosen to cut some of the ab workouts in favor of general core exercises. But that's just me.

I've wondered about this before, and I've found about the same answer around the web; this from about.com "No research to date has found any benefit from doing abdominal exercises more than 3-5 times per week, however, it's not harmful to work your abs everyday. It's difficult to fatigue or overwork the abs by performing standard body weight exercises due to the limited resistance through a small range of motion. If you work your abs with resistance, you should allow a day of rest between workouts."

So it pretty much depends how you work them, and what your goal is.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but mine get worked pretty much everyday from the different exercises I do. I get one rest day a week, though. Directly, they get worked about three days a week. As in I do a workout DVD that focuses on abs for the most part.
  • BrittanyBrines
    Options
    Okay, weird question, but I am starting to get that vertical line down my stomach (FINALLY!!!!!), how close am I do getting more definition? Or is that not something you can tell? I'm sooo excited to be seeing results. :D
  • BrittanyBrines
    Options
    Just a friendly bump. :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hard to say how close you are. Just keep dropping body fat until you can see them. Just an FYI but generally it is considered potentially unhealthy for a woman to drop body fat below about 15 or16%.