Vitamin/Iron Supplements

klybarger
klybarger Posts: 214
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
What supplements do you like? I just got back from blood center trying to donate and my iron was too low to give (just by a wee bit). Since I've been on MFP, I've been eating WAY better and thought I could get this under control with diet along - but that ain't happening. I really think women's psysiology makes this a difficult task - know what I mean? So, does any one have a good supplement (prefer one that is all encompassing rather than taking a plateful of them) that is easy on the stomach? Your input is appreciated!

Replies

• My favorite iron supplement is Floradix. http://www.florahealth.com/flora/home/usa/products/R64771.htm
    It doesn't cause the awful side effects that most iron supplements do. My daughter was able to give blood after a couple weeks of taking it. It isn't cheap though :(
  • lreyes
    lreyes Posts: 1
    I've had the same problem with iron deficiencies for the past couple of years. My doctor recommended prenatal vitamins...they work as a multivitamin and along with healthy diet, I've been doing great! hope this helps.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    You could try to find a cereal that has added iron. I usually have the same trouble when trying to donate blood. I started eating a serving of Life cereal, which has 100% of your iron for the day, everyday. I had no problems donating after a couple weeks of eating that. If you don't like Life, just check the labels and find one that you do that has the added iron.

Edit to add that the good thing about getting iron this way over a supplement is that I had NO side effects.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    I'm of no help. I can't figure it out. I've tried to give blood, most times I'm deferred for low iron. I try to eat iron-rich foods, still denied. I try to take an iron supplement - still denied.

We have a blood drive every 8 weeks so I've been experimenting. This last time my iron was fine. I took no supplements, and didn't change my diet. I had previously been eating more fiber and I cut that out for the week or so prior. That is the only thing I can figure that helped this time.

Then again, next time I'll probly do the same and still get defered.
  • klybarger
    I've had the same problem with iron deficiencies for the past couple of years. My doctor recommended prenatal vitamins...they work as a multivitamin and along with healthy diet, I've been doing great! hope this helps.

I'm a little afraid to take them because I'm WAY not pregnant! :) My understanding is that too much folic acid can cause some pretty significant issues (here's where I was reading up on that: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/prenatal-vitamins/AN01665 ). But I do remember when I was pregnant with my kids (many years ago) and regularly taking the prenatal vitamins, I never felt better!
  • klybarger
    I'm of no help. I can't figure it out. I've tried to give blood, most times I'm deferred for low iron. I try to eat iron-rich foods, still denied. I try to take an iron supplement - still denied.

We have a blood drive every 8 weeks so I've been experimenting. This last time my iron was fine. I took no supplements, and didn't change my diet. I had previously been eating more fiber and I cut that out for the week or so prior. That is the only thing I can figure that helped this time.

Then again, next time I'll probly do the same and still get defered.

I know what you're saying - last time that little drop of blood sank like a rock; this time - not. Maddening. But I never thought of the silly fiber issue - that is really helpful!
  • Another thing to consider is vitamin C. Your body can't absorb/use iron properly if it doesn't have the right amount of vitamin C also.
  • bkeeldo
    bkeeldo Posts: 28 Member
    Last year, my iron levels came back low from my physical and my doctor told me to eat beef at least once a week and to take a multivitamin to help with the levels. Iron supplements can have a lot of different side effects, none of which I want! I will take the burger or steak once a week to help! If your levels are extremely low consistently, get it looked at by a doctor.
This discussion has been closed.