Easy Soup Recipes

Options
michellew91
michellew91 Posts: 47 Member
Does anyone have any easy soup recipes to share? Because I live alone, this is one of my go to meals that I can make once and eat all week. Two of my favorites are:
Minestrone Soup with Pasta, Beans and Vegetables (you can change the spices around and it's like an entirely different soup)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robin-miller/minestrone-soup-with-pasta-beans-and-vegetables-recipe/index.html
and The Whole Enchilada Chicken Soup by Hungry Girl http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1428
These tend to get old, though so I'm open to trying some new recipes!

Replies

• BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump, always thought soups were too difficult for me, need to try some
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
  • christy3952
    christy3952 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Loaded Potato Soup

3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1 (24 oz) package refrigerated country-style mashed potatoes, such as Simply Potatoes
    1 cup (4 oz) reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
    1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon, about 3 slices
    1/3 cup sliced green onions, optional

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan, breaking up potatoes with a whisk or wooden spoon. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently with whisk. Remove from heat; stir in 2/3 cup cheese.

2. Ladle soup into bowls; top evenly with remaining 1/3 cup cheese, bacon and, if desired, green onions.

Yields 6 Servings (1 cup soup, 2 1/2 tsp. cheese, 2 tsp. bacon)

You can play around with the ingredients to lower calories by using Skim Milk or 1%, and you could use Turkey Bacon, etc.
  • MyCornerOnline
    MyCornerOnline Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this with V-8 mini juice cans:

http://blog.hummiesworld.com/2012/09/cold-weathers-coming-soup.html

and varying the ingredients. Love it! And I get stuffed.

Oh, the black bean one above sounds great... thinking how to adjust that for me... I would use canned black beans... and the base in that recipe is just water... interesting.

So does the potato and bacon one... yum! .. it's base is milk...

I think finding a good "base" and then adding what you love into it is where I'm working toward.

Most soups have either a tomato base or a chicken/beef stock base (easy enough with bullion cubes, but that's a lot of salt).
    So I see there is also milk base and even a water base... afraid to try a water based soup.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Easy basic recipe: 2 potatoes, 1 onion, garlic and herbs (which ever you wish to add) to taste, 4 cups of broth of choice, 4 cups of vegetables of choice. You cut and cook the potatoes (works with sweet potatoes too), onion and herbs, then add the broth and vegetables, bring to a boil, let simmer for 20 minutes for softer vegetables (think spinach, kale, etc) or 40 minutes for harder vegetables (think carrots).

Once it's done, blend it, it's a nice low calorie alternative to a creamy soup :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Easy... Throw a couple chicken breasts (turkey, beef, pork...) in the crock pot with 6-8 cups of stock (veg or no/low added sodium chicken). If you want it to cook quicker you can chop the chicken up. Add spices of your choice. If you want to add potatoes chop them in bite sized pieces and add when the chicken is half cooked. When the chicken is cooked, add a bag of frozen mixed vegies (or your choice). If you would like you can add some noodles, rice, barley, couscous or quinoa.

Experiment....start throwing stuff in the crock pot that you think will taste good together. It is a great way to clean out the left overs in the fridge! :wink: