Exercising when Sick

Options
I'm recovering from a nasty cold/flu and I'm about 60% better. I can now move around a little before I get tired and need to lay down. Do you think some gentle exercise for ten minutes would speed up my recovery? It's cold outside so I am hesitant about walking but maybe if I tried to do something inside on the WII eg baic steps? Any thoughts?

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I had the cold/flu, and pretty much when I was able to walk I went out and started walking, and then running. Even while I was ill. the trick is to not let yourself get run down, so keep yourself toped up with nutrients. And if you sweat make sure you dont get cold! Gloves, hats, wicking clothes.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Gentle exercise yes- I recently had a cold but still exercised, aiming to work at least half of what I normally do, but do what's best for you. If you don't want to go out going on the Wii still counts.

Hope you feel better soon.

;)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from a nasty cold/flu and I'm about 60% better. I can now move around a little before I get tired and need to lay down. Do you think some gentle exercise for ten minutes would speed up my recovery? It's cold outside so I am hesitant about walking but maybe if I tried to do something inside on the WII eg baic steps? Any thoughts?

It's tempting to think that you're missing out on something. My advice: let you body heal, take a few days. If you start training and pitch the level wrong, you'll actually depress your immune system and could potentially backslide into something a bit worse than you originally experienced......

The day you wake up and feel "normal" (or almost/close to normal) then start training again. The first time out, pitch it at about 60-75% effort to see how you feel. If that knocks you back, then you started back too soon. Or else, if you coped well, start to ramp it up again.
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i was advised to keep exercising when ill - but only if it's above the heart - so if you've got bronchitis or nasty cough take a break, but with a cold/flu do something but really gently - don't push yourself to your normal rate. I find it works for me just keeping up the routine so when i'm better i don't give up again
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the response. I will be doing some light Wii Exercise and see how I go from there :)
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I had this same conversation with a personal Trainer at my gym. It is definitely okay to exercise when you have a cold, just tame down your intensity, and be thoughtful of others. It's proven that a good sweat session can actually make you feel better. It clears up Nasal Congestion and loosen's up any fluid in your lungs.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Iif it is just a cold and as long as you do not have a fever, you should be okay. If you are taking Sudafed then be mindful of your heart rate.