Calorie burned - decreasing

Options
I on round 2 of insanity! right now on month 2. BUT I burn less calories than I used to to. what that could be? I don't understand what my body is trying to tell me! I've been eating enough, clean and healthy. and for example: on round 1 I used to burn 600-660 cals doing max interval circuit but now on round 2 I burn 400 or hardly 450 on max interval circuit!! what could be the reason?

Replies

• orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Same thing is happening to me. I'm no expert, but I think it's that our bodies are getting stronger and working more efficiently. My guess is that you're not sweating as much, not aching as much, and not as tired when you finish your exercises. In other words, you are getting healthy!
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    as you get fitter your body adjusts and burns less..
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    as you get fitter your body adjusts and burns less..

yep.
  • cravingskinnybody
    cravingskinnybody Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Same thing is happening to me. I'm no expert, but I think it's that our bodies are getting stronger and working more efficiently. My guess is that you're not sweating as much, not aching as much, and not as tired when you finish your exercises. In other words, you are getting healthy!
    but does less calorie burned means less weight/fat loss?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In addition to your improved fitness your profile shows 12kg lost (congratulations!) which also reduces the amount of energy expended to perform a a task.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I would think so. Usually.
  • cravingskinnybody
    Options
    In addition to your improved fitness your profile shows 12kg lost (congratulations!) which also reduces the amount of energy expended to perform a a task.
    Thank you! Insanity have done this to me B)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    google muscle memory. Short answer is, the more you perform an activity, the more efficient your muscles become at it. Efficient muscles use less energy to perform the same action. That's the main reason trainers like to "mix it up" ever couple of months with clients.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    The heavier you weigh, the more you burn.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

not necessarily true actually. Calorie burn is a factor of how hard you work and how efficient your muscles are at the work you are doing.

Heavier people usually burn more just because they haven't performed the activity as much, but the two aren't a direct correlation of each other. I know people who are overweight but very efficient at certain activities and burn far less than others (even myself) at them.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options

not necessarily true actually. Calorie burn is a factor of how hard you work and how efficient your muscles are at the work you are doing.

Heavier people usually burn more just because they haven't performed the activity as much, but the two aren't a direct correlation of each other. I know people who are overweight but very efficient at certain activities and burn far less than others (even myself) at them.

True but I'm talking about if you keep all factors constant. So like they both are working equally as effective.
  • MommaKit79
    Options

^^^Yelp!! It is all on how your muscles and body handle and get through an activity.

CONGRATS on your progress!!!! :-)
  • cravingskinnybody
    Options
    bumb-ing for more replies.
  • cravingskinnybody
    Options

so do you mean that I should stop doing insanity!!!! but that's my favorite workout like ever!
  • orapronobis
    Options
    Once again, I'm new to this, but I would say yes. If it takes 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound, then you need to burn more or eat less to remain at a 3500 calorie deficit each week and lose weight. Unless, of course, you are adding muscle while losing fat, then you're going to see the change in your measurements instead of the scale.
  • cravingskinnybody
    Options
    Once again, I'm new to this, but I would say yes. If it takes 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound, then you need to burn more or eat less to remain at a 3500 calorie deficit each week and lose weight. Unless, of course, you are adding muscle while losing fat, then you're going to see the change in your measurements instead of the scale.
    I eat From 1300 to 1450! I think I can't eat less than that!
  • orapronobis
    Options
    I eat From 1300 to 1450! I think I can't eat less than that!
    I'm not suggesting that you do eat less than that. I was just making the point that you need a 3500 calorie deficit to lose a pound, so that's going to happen in one of two ways, or with a combination of those two ways: intake and burning. Someone made the suggestion of switching up your exercises due to muscle memory. I would try that first to see if you can increase your burn. I'm with you on this. I can't put more time into exercise, so I need to find a newer type that will challenge my newly developing muscles. Just don't lose your motivation; you can keep the loss going. Just look at all the people on this site that have lost amazing amounts of weight. I'm sure that their strategies are different than they were at the beginning of their weight loss journey.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

so do you mean that I should stop doing insanity!!!! but that's my favorite workout like ever!

Absolutely not, insanity is a great workout as far as pre-canned workouts go. One of the best that I've seen. No pre-made class is going to be as good as individual instruction of a good trainer, but short of that insanity is a great HIIT workout. But there's a reason why insanity is only 8 weeks long, because after about 8 to 10 weeks of any specific activity, the body becomes "used" to it. Even with a very diverse program like insanity there will be a level of muscle memory.
    Muscle memory is a double edged sword. On the one side, it becomes easier to do a specific activity which means your endurance gains are going up, but on the other, the energy needed to perform those activities is less because nerve/muscle interaction becomes more efficient. So what you really want to do is do a round of insanity, then find something else to do for about 6 weeks that's very different, then go back to it. I bet when you do your first fit test will be a few percentage points lower than your final fit test from the last bout of insanity.
  • cravingskinnybody
    Options
    Okay! thank you so much for helping me :)
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I was reading Jillian Michaels book and she was explaining that you need to push harder to get that burn in. There are different methods for increasing the calorie burn as you get fit. One of them is increasing the amount of weights you use.