Best Yoga DVD for me???

Options
I wanna start yoga.... But there are soooo many DVD out there!!!! Can't decide the best one..... Need something that would be motivating enough!

Help?

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I would try going to your library and trying a few out. There are also free podcasts, yoga journal has one.

You should also try going to a few different classes. The first class is usually free.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I do JM yoga melt down. Haven't tried any others.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going to an actual yoga studio with instructors to learn, but if you can't do that, then I would recommend a beginner DVD by Rodney Yee. He seems to give the best instructions on how to do the poses so you don't have to constantly look at the screen to see what to do.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    10 Minute Solution, Yoga for Beginners. It's almost an hour long if you combine all of the exercise. I love it for days where I don't want to blast through an intense 20 min workout
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    Are you looking for relaxing yoga? I do one for strengthening the spine by Rodney Yee. I feel so peaceful afterward.

Have you tried checking out your local libraries to rent some yoga DVDs? It's nice to be able to try before you buy.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I like Yoga for weight loss by Jill Miller.
  • 4strings4him
    Options
    Sarah Ivanhoe is also a great DVD instructor! She's very easy to follow. I have several of hers.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Try a few different ones on You Tube to see what you like....for free.
  • Junglejoyce
    Junglejoyce Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have "Yoga Zone" for beginners. I also have several other yoga dvd's. I really like Yoga Zone and that is the one I usually use. I am not real flexible and they have someone doing the poses with modifications that I can almost do. Alan Finger goes over breathing technique very thoroughly and tells you when to inhale and when to exhale during the poses which helps me. This would probably not be real good if you are experienced in yoga as it is really for beginners. Take a look at www.Collagevideo.com. They have all kinds of dvd's and you can take a peek at them too. I think they allow you to return them if they are not for you, but not sure. Hope this helps.
  • Saucy_Yoda
    Saucy_Yoda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You could try something like YogaGlo.com. Lots of teachers, styles, and levels. There's a 15 day free trial, and then a monthly subscription fee. Much cheaper than studio classes! Dice Iida-Klein and Kathryn Budig's practices have helped me a lot in my arm balance/inversion practice, and they're both very fun. I love it.
  • 4strings4him
    Options
    Try a few different ones on You Tube to see what you like....for free.

I agree. There are so many on YouTube that I like. I started using videos online to change my routine up. Sadie Nardini and Esther Ekhart are two instructors on YouTube who are fantastic. Feel free to message me if you want specific links.
  • bw6420
    bw6420 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would recommend "Doyogawithme.com". It is a free website with tons of great yoga videos for any level. You can select the level and time. I love it!
  • YogaLarva
    Options
    I highly recommend Sara Ivanhoe, but otherwise yogadownload.com has free 20 minute recordings you can download. Granted, there's no video, but they do a pretty good job of explaining how to get into the poses. Otherwise Tara Stiles has tons of vids on YouTube with a lot specifically for beginners, though she moves pretty fast so you might want to watch the vid a few times through before actually trying to do it with her.