Pulled a muscle!

Options
i am worried about ho wi am going to continue working out at the gym, as i have pulled a muscle in my leg!
Firstly- how can i prevent getting pulled muscles?
and secondly- does this mean i have to take time off from the gym, or can i carry on and work through the pain? i have applied Deep HEAT to it tonight, will that help it?

Replies

• 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    S-t-r-e-t-c-h before you start. And warm up before you start your program with some warm up exercises (Remember PE back in school?)
  • claire30
    claire30 Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    I thought that 15 mins on the bikes was a warm up to stretch my muscles...??Is that right, or do i have to do any particual stretches?
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    My doc has me do a stretch before I walk on the treadmill or get on the bike. Has me put a leg up on the bench. Then rotate it as far as it can go to the right and hold for a count of 10. Then all the way to the left and hold for a count of 10. Then point the toes straight ahead and hold for a count of 10. Then repeat with the other leg.

Seems to have worked. Don't get any pains or problems with either leg. Also. I choose the weight loss program on both the treadmill and recumbent bike. Both programs start you out slow and at lower speed/grade before moving it up. I'm assuming yours does too.
  • claire30
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, i will definately be doing the stretches before working out now!!
  • Hermit4Hire
    Options
    Be careful NOT TO stretch your muscles when they are completely cold. You can also pull a muscle this way. It is recommended you do a very light warm up (walking or peddling slow) for a few minutes prior to your first stretch. Then don't forget to stretch fully AFTER your workout too.

Also, if you truly did pull a muscle (rather than strain it), you probably won't be able to work that muscle effectively until it heals. A pulled muscle is extremely painful and requires time to heal.
  • claire30
    Options
    Thanks for your advice guys.
    i am going to wait until tomorrow moning to see how my leg feels.
  • Prd2bema2
    Prd2bema2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    GOOD ADVICE............... alway stretch before your workout. I do it afterwards too just so my muscles don't tense up!
  • claire30
    Options
    Hey guys,
    thanks for the advice. I managed a SMALL workout today (only 20 mins on the bikes, and 15 mins on the air walker/cross trainer)..so i am disappointed that i couldnt work harder at the gym..but my leg was starting too hurt too much.
    i am really upset!