On the Depo shot & trying to lose weight

Options
:grumble: I've been on this depo lupron shot and although I've been trying to lose weight - my weight continues to hike upward. This week I've decreased my intake of sweets (my weakness) and I've been pushing myself in regards to exercise, but the pounds continue to pile on . . . . . .does anyone have suggestions?

Replies

• Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Im on depo provera, and havent had problems. but orthotricyclin made me gain. maybe switch to something else?
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Try switching, or if that's not an option, just monitor your intake carefully. Depo won't MAKE you gain weight, it makes you eat more

ADD: I've lost about 30 lbs on depo provera so far
  • katiefridley
    katiefridley Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have lost 15 lbs since I started 2 months ago.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm on depo Provera and have lost about 5 lbs. so far so it is possible to lose weight. That being said, i've noticed that after each shot i immediate become unbearably hungry. It's all about control, it's hard, but hey at least we don't get periods ;)
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Years ago I was on depo provera and gained about 30 pounds. I did everything I could to lose it, I couldn't. I was so mad because that was the only side effect I had of it. I finally had to get off of it to lose the weight.
    Within 30 days after the shot was out of my system, I lost 30 pounds. It was like someone poked a whole in a balloon and it all deflated.
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was on Depo for a year a long time ago and gained about 50 lbs... I was NOT eating more. I know others say it doesn't make you gain weight, but it sure did for me (and others I know!). I tried HARD to lose it while I was on it and NOTHING... I had to get off it in order to get some downward movement on the scale... I would suggest trying something else. Currently I am on Seasonique it is a BC pill but you only get a cycle 4 times a year... no weight gain for me on this! Much better option for me.....

Everyone is different... good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I've been on Depo four years now and I've lost a total of 42#. I haven't experienced any problems on it. Sweets get everyone use moderation and keep at your exercise. Maybe change up your routine or go harder. If not speak to your doc another method may be better for you.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I'm on depo Provera and have lost about 5 lbs. so far so it is possible to lose weight. That being said, i've noticed that after each shot i immediate become unbearably hungry. It's all about control, it's hard, but hey at least we don't get periods ;)

im the opposite! i have to eat IMMEDIATELY or i get sick :(
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    :grumble: I've been on this depo lupron shot and although I've been trying to lose weight - my weight continues to hike upward. This week I've decreased my intake of sweets (my weakness) and I've been pushing myself in regards to exercise, but the pounds continue to pile on . . . . . .does anyone have suggestions?

Some women find that taking any female hormone makes them gain body fat---whether it is birth control or hormone replacement therapy. I have known several naturally rail-thin women who feel much better on hormonal birth control because it has enabled them to gain a natural female shape for the first time. The same would not be true for most women who will often experience fat gain, headaches, bloating, insatiable appetite, high blood sugar, depression (leading to more emotional eating) etc.

One of the problems, in the case of birth control, is that it shuts down ovulation---and THAT shuts down a woman's natural progesterone production (synthetic progestin supplied in a birth control pill DOES NOT have the same effect as natural progesterone--don't believe anyone who says it does). It allows the woman's own natural estrogen to run unopposed and that boosts blood sugar levels, insulin levels and fat deposition without the beneficial influence of progesterone--the normalizing of blood sugar, and thus insulin and fat burning as progesterone slightly increases metabolism (just as estrogen can lower it). Lower carb diets can help with both appetite and fat deposition but, of course, the better plan is to get off hormonal birth control.

Exercise---particularly lifting, because it increases muscle mass, is important to bringing blood sugar levels down. It is also probably a good idea to limit fructose consumption as it has been shown to boost blood sugar levels more than other forms of sugar (galactose--milk sugar--or glucose). Keep in mind that sucrose (table sugar) is 50% fructose. The problem of fat gain is one of blood sugar problems and ultimately, it can lead to Type II diabetes. The problem is frequently compounded when a woman, depressed by the affect of the hormones on metabolism, turns to antidepressants. Many antidepressants cause higher blood sugar levels themselves. :sick: