Lifetime Fitness... too expensive

I've had a membership at Lifetime Fitness with my boyfriend for almost a year now. It is very expensive, especially considering the fact that I do not work (I'm a student). I really love that gym, but I have had the account frozen($10 per month fee) because we can no longer afford paying $170 :sad: for the two of us. Do you think there is anyway I can lower the monthly membership costs? Any suggestions? Anybody else going to Lifetime, how much do you pay? :ohwell:

Replies

• jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    You may want to cancel your membership there and find another, less expensive gym. I pay $40 a month for both my husband and me at a locally owned gym.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Find a cheaper gym! Sure, it might not have classes, a pool, or even showers, but the basics are workout equipment for cardio and weights and if it has those, you're set. Also, regularly check those coupon packets that show up in the mail, I got my membership for less than $8 a month that way.

Or buy a few pieces of equipment used and workout at home if you have room.
  • TimeFourMe
    TimeFourMe Posts: 104 Member
    We pay $120 with child care... but we are locked in since my husband has been a member for a few years. It is expensive but I really enjoy it. That being said, I have not tried out any other gyms so I could be paying less and be just as happy. Hunt around until you find one you and your budget likes. If this is the one, can you tweak other areas in budget to make up the difference? Paying for making your body healthy is much cheaper than paying doctors and meds later.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    I worked there for six years in customer service. There is no way to lower the monthly rates, the system blocks out from changing the rates to different levels (you sign up at a level and once you are there you can't fix it to an older level. And the lowest priced level is the lowest anything could possibly go). You can talk to MS (member services) and a lot of times if you're concerned about price they can offer you other incentives.

I am a member there now that I don't work there. I do pay slightly less because of how long I've had an active membership, but I'm still paying around $60 a month for just me. I could go somewhere cheaper, but I find that I enjoy being a member and that since I can afford it I'll stay.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Why not just switch to a gym you can afford?
    I go to Planet Fitness. 19.99 a month. Yeah, it's not the nicest gym in the world. But it has the basics -machines, weights, classes, tanning, etc. And you can bring a guest with you for free.

Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    I work out at home. The monthly rate is very reasonable.
  • JerseyGirlMomof4
    JerseyGirlMomof4 Posts: 14 Member
    I have a family membership at Lifetime Fitness. On the account is My Husband, 4 children, and myself. We pay $142 per month for a "Gold" membership. (meaning we can only use that one specific Gym and no guests) Overall, we LOVE what the Gym offers. The staff (not just the childcare staff) is wonderful and knows all our children by name. Can you lower your membership from where you are to "Gold" without any Tennis bennies? If I didn't have children my membership would cost me about $120.

I understand not being able to afford this Gym, but I DO NOT recommend Planet Fitness. I was a member there before moving and joining Lifetime. Two affordable Gyms I hear a lot of good things about is Fitness 19 and 24 Hour Fitness. My Good friend is a member at a Fitness 19 and she is actually going to the gym and my Pastor is a member at a 24 Hour Fitness and he raves about it. I have also heard many good things about LA Fitness but I do not have any one in my immediate circle that are members. Most of us are Lifetime Members. LOL
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    LA Fitness. $20/month if you pre-pay for 3 years. So you have to pay $750~, but they let me pay over 90 days. So three hits of $250 and BAM done for three years.
  • Tangosgrandad
    Tangosgrandad Posts: 36 Member
    $170 !!!! Are you going to the gym or buying it? Save that money and buy some gym equipment, or as has been suggested, go somewhere cheaper.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    My question would be; What at lifetime do you use to make it worth that much? I'm guessing there are 24hr facilities all over that would give you everything you're looking for at a fraction of the price.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    $170 !!!! Are you going to the gym or buying it? Save that money and buy some gym equipment, or as has been suggested, go somewhere cheaper.
    That was my thought, lol. At $170 a month you could build your own facility.

Power rack, bench, barbell and some plates. Find out how much that would cost you.
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    I'm with the others - find another gym. I belong to a BASIC gym (no classes, no pool, really just free weights and machines.) I pay $31/mo (paid up front for one year).
  • You pay for the convenience of having a spa, cafe, leisure and lap pool, hot tubs, steam room, dry sauna, and free yoga + group classes. Also, we probably have the best child care facilities out there!
    Our cardio area is huge, so during our busy times you don't have to worry about your favorite machine being taken up or what not. I had this experience when I was a member at my local gym. (Don't know about 24 hour and other competing gyms)
    However, I feel as if our free weights area isn't as good as my local gym's.
    Lifetime is really the most useful for families, not so much for a single member. Mom can go get here nails done, hair trim, etc, and the kids get to play with us.
    So like most people said, it's a luxury but find a local gym that you can afford at this point in you life.
    Sorry, I can't answer your question, I am not aware of any discounts :(
    ~ I work at lifetime in operations and child care
  • JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    I work out at home. The monthly rate is very reasonable.

^ This :bigsmile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    It is a fitness club/spa...it's fancy and thus expensive...just join a regular gym if you want cheaper.
  • DogMama010
    DogMama010 Posts: 1 Member
    Yes, working out a home is FREE but, variety is the spice of life. I'm sure mainly people who do their thing at home plateau and/or don't stay motivated. There's many gym options to fit everyone's needs and desire price points close to home all over unless you live in a small town or secluded area. Honestly, you get what you pay for at Life Time Fitness which has practically every amenity a gym, pool, and spa goer would desire. I'm not wealthy at all but, I love to spend an hour or two a day working out in a place where I'm happy and comfortable. The facilities are beautiful from the locker rooms to the yoga rooms. During the summer, if I didn't have the time or means to go take a real vacation I wouldn't be upset because the outdoor pool atmosphere at LTF felt like I was at a five star resort. I took advantage of every aspect this amazing concept has to offer (nutrition classes, the pool, cafe, fitness classes, occasional parties for members, etc) aside from the child care because I don't have any kids. Plus, the LTF concept upholds their standards of being a "healthy way of life company" which in part means keeping the facility clean and well maintained facilities for members to enjoy. The staff they employ are all excellent especially the knowledgable, friendly personal trainers and group fitness instructors. Also, LTF is open 24/7/365 (just closing partially on Xmas and Thanksgiving) conveience comes at a price with utilities and staffing costing quite a bit of money. I was a member of LTF on and off (mostly on) since 2000. I loved when they implented LT Bucks which you earn for various reason and could use to buy products and services at the gym from camel backs to a hair cut. I experimented with cheaper gyms since I was "spoiled" by LTF; I was a member of other concepts after moving to areas with out LTF facilities nearby. I would often be disenchanted by over-crowding, rushing to get work out in before they close at 6PM on a Sunday, obsolete equipment, no towels...Bally's was by far the worst gym on the planet. LA Fitness is real basic, nothing special. WSC/NYSC are over priced for few amenities. Gold's Gym is for quintessential "meat heads" who basically like to lift and flex in the mirrors. Planet Fitness is cramped but, cheap and good for people who like cardio machines and nautilus-type equipment. I did physical therapy inside a Sport and Health and thought the set-up and amenities were reminiscent of a school gym or local Rec Center with a pool. I've never been to Equinox so I can't comment but, I heard it was fancy. American Family Fitness, an independent chain surrounding Richmond, VA is a distant 2nd place to LTF. AMFit was a great club; dues were only $64 for my husband and I (half our LTF couple membership) however we signed up under false pretenses thinking it was 24/7 and they close Friday and Saturday nights. Also, they closed or closed early on virtually every greeting card holiday. AmFit unlike LTF has hidden fees such as a $100 cancelation fee if you cancel prior to the end of your term and charged an extra yearly maintenance fee which we were not informed of. I liked how AMFit has tanning beds for a cheap prices for sessions which is something LTF did away with 10 years ago. Luckily, my husband and I are about to relocate to a city with a LTF and I will reactive our frozen membership.
  • sandrachis
    sandrachis Posts: 52 Member
    Two suggestions: your school may have gym,pool mine does. Your health plan may offer supplemental benefits. Check it out. A lot of times other students want o walk a couple of times a week.
  • MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    We pay 25$ each for LA fitness. We don't go as much there as I just work out in the apartment gym most days, but it's great for classes and the pool.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    This thread was four years old.