Can't seem to get motivated to do exercise!!

Options
I seem to have the motivation for eating down to a Tee but i just can seem to find motivation for exercise, Can anyone give me any suggestions/tips to find my motivation..

Thanx. :)

Replies

• TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Force yourself for 3 to 4 weeks then suddenly you won't want to stop.
  • lynnacuff
    Options
    hard to drag yourself kicking and screaming..lol i am in the same boat...
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some music that you absolutely LOVE on your MP3 player. Put on some headphones with it on and take a walk.
  • Mickey3515
    Mickey3515 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Experiment until you find a few things you really enjoy, and then it won't seem like work.
  • Lovelyhal
    Lovelyhal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just start by doing a little - several times a day. I started by walking for 10 mins, three time a day, three days a week. My difficulty was that I have at time very painful feet.

Once I got used to walking (I use a treadmill at home), I then started doing 20 mins strait up every morning, and now I do 40 mins every morning, 30 mins of that uphill.

It is a matter of just starting, and telling yourself it is only for 10 mins. ONce you establish a habit it is addictive. Because you feel so much better.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Try a different exercise every day til you find one you really like: Day One: Running, Day Two: Zumba, Day Three: P90X, Day Four: Aerobic Game on the Wii, Day Five: Cardio Yoga, etc. THEN, figure out if you like to exercise alone, with a friend or in a group. Then make yourself a motivational play-list of music that'll make you move or relax your nerves. Find pictures of your ideal healthy/fit body shape you desire and post them where you'll see them the most; the fridge, the bathroom mirror, on your closet door, your dresser, etc.
  • vikdexkaykai
    vikdexkaykai Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had that same problem...never wanted to get my arss up to workout!!!

What changed you ask???
    I FORCED MYELF...and before I knew it, I started a habit!

I don't want to pay for a gym membership or stop at the gym before I go home. When I'm finished working an 8 or 12 hour shift, I want to go home to my kiddies...not work out.
    And I usually have my days off filled with running errands, shopping etc so I'm not likely to hit the gym then either!.

However, I'm lucky enough to have a gym at my work that is for patients, but which have designated staff times as well (I work in a Mental Health Hospital). I told myself that there is no reason why I can't use my break times to invest in my health...so I did and I have!!
    Find something you like and DO IT!
    I also know someone who lost over 100 lbs, NEVER having stepped a single foot in a gym, but doing DVD's and YouTbe videos (free:bigsmile: ).

If you can start a bad habit, you can start a good one too!!!
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    The human body is literally hardwired to make a habit out of something after 21 days. Until then just keep your chin up and go! I just started my fourth week and now I'm bugging my fiance to move so we can go to the gym or run. Like everyone said, just keep it going and it'll be a habit and something you WANT to do
  • EveMother
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I get into the habit of exercising and then something happens (appointment, illness, back problems, you name it) and I miss a day and just don't want to deal with it the next day. I take three days off, then I get back on the "horse." I have to force myself all over again, but I remind myself that it feels so good to exercise, the endorphin release alone makes it worth the effort :happy:
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What helped me a few years ago when I went to the gym regularly (and had more time) was to see it as a "spa." I did my workout, then took a shower, maybe went to the steam room if I had time, shaved my legs, put on lotion, maybe a quick face mask etc. That really helped me get motivated because it was like pampering myself.

BUT: Now I don't have that extra time anymore so I'm in the same boat as you, trying to figure out how to motivate myself. I have a job that doesn't have a start or end time. I could be working round the clock. So my main excuse for not exercising is that I should spend the time working...
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Just do it! The motivation will come once your start :)
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Would you rather be uncomfortable for 60 minutes at the gym or uncomfortable for the rest of your life?
  • toohot42
    toohot42 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try Zumba, I love it and would go everyday if I could...
  • committowalk
    committowalk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice. Find something you love and start with small goals. If the idea of two hours in the gym fills you with dread, maybe start with a short walk. Or if you like swimming try laps or water aerobics. If you prefer at home exercise, maybe check some videos out from the library to find something you like. Keep your goals small and reasonable at first, then slowly increase it. Within a month or two you will start to look forward to it!
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I made a deal with myself since the weight loss was so important to me, I was going to burn at least 100 calories a day from exercise because I wanted to burn those calories and I wanted to do something to help my sluggish metabolism, but I also wanted to get fit in the long run. Once I got in the habit, I found it much easier. Now I'm up to burning at least 600 calories a day.....but I certainly didn't start off there.

The neat thing about it, is once I started to build a little lean muscle I felt better, I looked better, it was easier to make myself exercise and my metabolism is hopping. Talk about a change. And it all started with a little promise to myself.

You don't have to start out with an hour of Zumba or PX90. The trick is to just do SOMETHING. Anything. That 100 calories isn't hard to burn. Walk a slow 2 mph pace for a half hour or you can walk at 3 mph for just 22 minutes. Make yourself a promise....do it every day for a week and I bet you'll feel differently about it. Before you know it you will add five minutes here or go a little farther and build and build. Your body will feel better and the weight will come off......that is assuming you want this bad enough. Ask yourself that question. How badly DO you want this? If you want it badly enough, burn that 100 calories TODAY.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    This^^^ It doesn't have to be something hard. It should push you, but if it isn't something you show up to do, you won't do it. Even walking is good to start.
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I made a deal with myself since the weight loss was so important to me, I was going to burn at least 100 calories a day from exercise because I wanted to burn those calories and I wanted to do something to help my sluggish metabolism, but I also wanted to get fit in the long run. Once I got in the habit, I found it much easier. Now I'm up to burning at least 600 calories a day.....but I certainly didn't start off there.

The neat thing about it, is once I started to build a little lean muscle I felt better, I looked better, it was easier to make myself exercise and my metabolism is hopping. Talk about a change. And it all started with a little promise to myself.

You don't have to start out with an hour of Zumba or PX90. The trick is to just do SOMETHING. Anything. That 100 calories isn't hard to burn. Walk a slow 2 mph pace for a half hour or you can walk at 3 mph for just 22 minutes. Make yourself a promise....do it every day for a week and I bet you'll feel differently about it. Before you know it you will add five minutes here or go a little farther and build and build. Your body will feel better and the weight will come off......that is assuming you want this bad enough. Ask yourself that question. How badly DO you want this? If you want it badly enough, burn that 100 calories TODAY.

Great advice, thank you :). I always start off too hard and either injure myself within the first 2 weeks or get burned out to easily.
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. Merge it together for what works for you. I also find that when I dress for it right away, I am more likely to actually do it. And often after I start I want to keep going. So even committing to 10 or 15 minutes is a great start. Speaking of which...I was having trouble getting going today, now I'm gonna get at it!!
  • Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am so in the same boat! I am glad I stopped in to read this, there is alot of great info here. I started today, i plunked my large butt on my stationary bike, my goal was 15 minutes @ low intensity, I wanted to quit at 10 (or less :)) put pushed through to 15! I feel great because I accomplished something, no matter how little, I just hope I can keep motivated.

Nothing to it, but to do it! I hope I don't have to eat these words next week bwahahaha

Good luck on your Journey
  • SweetLillyM
    Options
    Force yourself for 3 to 4 weeks then suddenly you won't want to stop.

I totally agree with this!

At first I really hated it and now I actually look forward to my workouts. I feel so good after the workout and I love seeing the number on the scale drop. That's enough motivation for me! :)