62 pounds gone...But did you have to EXERCISE????

Options

Replies

• EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I must be the exact opposite of a lot of people cause I enjoy exercising it's the dieting and eating healthy part I don't care for. I would much rather eat junk food than vegetables, but I know I have to eat healthy and exercise to lose weight cause if I just do one or the other, I'll basically just maintain my current weight and wouldn't get anywhere.

I am exactly the same. I love exercising and would do it all day, but I haaaaate having to limit my calories.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I've lost 53lbs in the last 5 months and I get people asking how I've lost the weight, but when you actually tell them - healthy eating and exercise, they lose interest.

It seems everyone wants you to say you've found some magic pill and the weight just melted off with no effort :laugh:

So what you're saying is that she should buy some empty pill capsules, fill them with dried spinach flakes or similar and print out an exercise and diet guide. Then put the pills and the guide in a colorful bottle and label them with a $59.99 price tag. When people ask, she can say all anybody has to do to lose weight is take six pills every day and follow the sensible exercise and diet guide that comes with the pills absolutely free.

Genius!

Why has no one done this yet?

Oh wait, lots of clever little thieves already have.

Tempting, though. Very tempting. I'd even throw in a slip of paper with MFP's web address printed on it. No extra charge! :laugh:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I come across it all the time. People ask me about Shakeology and when I tell them that even the makers of Shakeo recommend they exercise 3 times per week minimally they're like "oh" and you see their face fall. When I tell them that's how I've maintained my 70-lb weight loss for over 20 years they're like "oh" and you see their face fall. So you let them keep trying it their way...eventually they come back and say "I'm doing this, that and the other and can't lose the weight" so you ask them "are you exercising?" and they say "no" and that's when I say "let me know how that's working for you". I'm not trying to be cynical about it but, hey, I'm a Jersey Girl after all lol.

Some people have to learn the hard way that there's no quick fix! Sure, they may lose, but 2 years from now when that weight bounces back....

Just keep leading by example! If they want what you have, they'll do what you do!
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    I'm not originally from the U.S. My thoughts on this subject are that because one has to take a car/public transport to get anywhere, daily walking is unusual. People have to actually set aside time to walk in the U.S. In many other countries in the world, walking is a normal part of life - you walk to and from work, to and from the grocery store, to and from the doctor's office, to and from a friend's house. You get your daily exercise (and your plate of pasta!) without considering it exercise.

In the U.S. the distances are so great that you need transportation for everything. So yeah, walking is something you do because you have to carve out an hour or more from an already full day and most are unwilling to do so.

and in the area of South Jersey where I live, when I had a 23-mile commute to work I really didn't have 5 hours per day to carve out to commute to that job lol. And now I drive a school bus for a living. Bear in mind not all of us live in the city...NJ Pine Barrons over here..
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    bah, at least yours turned away politely, mine went up to my face with distrustful faces and said, "You must be kidding, C'mon, tell me your secret! What pill?!"

To which I just tell them to eff off. I just told them my "secret" which is to eat reasonably and exercise, yet they don't believe.

Okay, i don't really tell them to eff off, I just smile, underneath that smile of course spells eff off.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    I come across it all the time. People ask me about Shakeology and when I tell them that even the makers of Shakeo recommend they exercise 3 times per week minimally they're like "oh" and you see their face fall. When I tell them that's how I've maintained my 70-lb weight loss for over 20 years they're like "oh" and you see their face fall. So you let them keep trying it their way...eventually they come back and say "I'm doing this, that and the other and can't lose the weight" so you ask them "are you exercising?" and they say "no" and that's when I say "let me know how that's working for you". I'm not trying to be cynical about it but, hey, I'm a Jersey Girl after all lol.

Some people have to learn the hard way that there's no quick fix! Sure, they may lose, but 2 years from now when that weight bounces back....

Just keep leading by example! If they want what you have, they'll do what you do!

Yup. And for low carbers like me, if you read Dr. Atkins' book, it says you are not really doing Atkins if you don't exercise. Sad but true.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    bah, at least yours turned away politely, mine went up to my face with distrustful faces and said, "You must be kidding, C'mon, tell me your secret! What pill?!"

To which I just tell them to eff off. I just told them my "secret" which is to eat reasonably and exercise, yet they don't believe.

Okay, i don't really tell them to eff off, I just smile, underneath that smile of course spells eff off.

You seriously missed a chance to make some easy money by manufacturing a batch of 'miracle' pills yourself.
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options

You seriously missed a chance to make some easy money by manufacturing a batch of 'miracle' pills yourself.

So that's how these companies do it.. the real secret in their pills is that small written part where it says, "to be taken with a strict exercise regime and caloric control". oh these smart businessmen.

Wanna partner up and come up with miracle pills? Make them into the consistency of jawbreakers?
  • RobynMWilson
    Options
    It always makes me sad when I hear people talk like this......Yes, there will be some effort, yes you will sweat, yes you will be short of breath......for a little while. Then the rest of your day takes on a whole new shine! I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I can exercise every day for a minimum of 30 minutes, or I can be on an anti-depressant. It makes that much of a difference for me! Plus I have greater flexibility, mobility, I feel rejuvenated and de-stressed! Just keep on shining girl and let the new you do the advertising! You don't have to win them over. Sooner or later they are going to be desperate for the fresh beginning that you have!

I, too, would be on anti-depressants I'm sure if I didn't exercise. When I cracked my rib and couldn't work out for a month I was ready to throw myself under my bus and have someone run me over. I also made a horrible life-changing decision in that time to leave my job for another one b/c I was just NOT in my right mind! I have a new rule that I am not to make any major decisions if I can help it if I'm forced into a period of inactivity like an injury, or when I have PMS lol
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

So that's how these companies do it.. the real secret in their pills is that small written part where it says, "to be taken with a strict exercise regime and caloric control". oh these smart businessmen.

Wanna partner up and come up with miracle pills? Make them into the consistency of jawbreakers?

We could, but without lobbyists to placate the proper officials we might end up in prison trading weight loss secrets to other inmates for toilet paper and cigarettes.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    This thing that always bothered me on my first weight loss journey (from 175-133) was people saying they were jealous and that I was "lucky". That irritates me to no end. I know you ALL can relate. We aren't lucky. We're dedicated, we sweat, we forced ourselves to start bettering our bodies. Luck has nothing to do with it. Heart does
    Thank heavens i never got that "lucky" comment!!!! I always get the opposite like "wow you must be killing yourself at the gym!!!" People really don't want to put a shoe near the gym's door... Which i find funny and sad at the same time. But the truth is that you don't have to kill yourself at the gym to lose weight and if you do, the endorphins take care of you and make you love it XD.

Well actually, my husband once said that i was lucky to be losing all my extra weight,but he meant it in a different way, like ... I was lucky to have been bitten by the healthy lifestyle bug or something. But he's the only person who truly knows how hard I'm struggling to shed the pounds (or kilos i should say) off, and i wouldn't be here without his support :)
  • mishomart
    mishomart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I must be the exact opposite of a lot of people cause I enjoy exercising it's the dieting and eating healthy part I don't care for. I would much rather eat junk food than vegetables, but I know I have to eat healthy and exercise to lose weight cause if I just do one or the other, I'll basically just maintain my current weight and wouldn't get anywhere.

I am exactly the same. I love exercising and would do it all day, but I haaaaate having to limit my calories.

DITTO!!! I'd much rather go to 2 or 3 classes a day at the gym than eat veggies an count calories
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A few years back I lost over 60 lbs and was only a few pounds away from my goal. I remember that I wasn't proud of the weight loss really or the healthy eating. I was proud of my physical fitness. I was at the gym at least 3 days a week, taking aerobics classes and was power walking 1/2 marathons in under 3 hours. That from being a couch potato.
    I know many of you won't agree, but getting the eating under control is relatively easy in comparison to the exercising. You have to eat, the only thing you need to control is what and how much. But the exercise... not so much, you can just choose not to do it. The hardest thing is getting up off your butt, getting prepped and walking out that door. If you get that far, it's an amazing thing... but it's getting there that is the hardest part of a healthy lifestyle.
    I agree. Now that it's colder in the mornings, I have to really psych myself up to get out there and walk! Getting my butt out the door is hard some mornings, but I talk myself into it. I guess that's what a lot of people think about when they ask if I had to exercise.

I love to go walking in my snow boots and a cup of tea or coffee :)
  • kfoley1215
    Options
    One of my family members has about 100 pounds to lose and she's tried many things, but never exercising. She has a bum wrist and is currently trying to get Disability. Her days consist of sitting on the couch and watching TV. She has ordered every single one of those magic diet/weight-loss pills they promise on TV, even the ones that say you don't have to do anything and the little pill melts the fat. She's mad when they don't work but she keeps buying them anyway. When I told her I joined a gym and now I'm counting calories, she doesn't think it will work because of the "commitment". *sigh*
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    This thing that always bothered me on my first weight loss journey (from 175-133) was people saying they were jealous and that I was "lucky". That irritates me to no end. I know you ALL can relate. We aren't lucky. We're dedicated, we sweat, we forced ourselves to start bettering our bodies. Luck has nothing to do with it. Heart does
    Thank heavens i never got that "lucky" comment!!!! I always get the opposite like "wow you must be killing yourself at the gym!!!" People really don't want to put a shoe near the gym's door... Which i find funny and sad at the same time. But the truth is that you don't have to kill yourself at the gym to lose weight and if you do, the endorphins take care of you and make you love it XD.

Well actually, my husband once said that i was lucky to be losing all my extra weight,but he meant it in a different way, like ... I was lucky to have been bitten by the healthy lifestyle bug or something. But he's the only person who truly knows how hard I'm struggling to shed the pounds (or kilos i should say) off, and i wouldn't be here without his support :)

I couldn't believe it when I was told. It was college friends who just didn't want to run. I started one summer at our track and couldn't even make 1 lap around the 1/4 mile running track. By the end before my injury (stress fractured ankle) I was running 14 laps. It was so hard to get there for a while, and to have it written off to luck just irked me, and not much does!

That's amazing your husband is so supportive! My fiance is the same way. He pushes me to go, or start, and eat well. He's going to school to be a nutritionist so he's quite strict, but it's paying off. If it wasn't for him I don't know how much weight I'd have gained by this point
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Wow that's awesome!!! It's guaranteed you won't regain any weight then, and you won't have to struggle with large amounts of junk food in the fridge, since he'll keep you both on track. My nutritionist once told me that you end up getting obsessed with food sanitary safety, not just nutritional values, so make sure you don't get too obsessed with everything and take good care of each other :)
  • Maccbow
    Maccbow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is such a mental thing.

That's the big "secret" right there, in seven words.

Agreed.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was totally one of these people.
    I was too big to do anything....everything hurt, I couldn't breathe...
    Forget that! Hopefully people will come to the same conclusion for themselves.
    I mean...do people think it's normal to be completely winded and wheezing after walking up a hill in the road?
    What if you had to run from a kidnapper?

That's not me anymore. :p
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Wow that's awesome!!! It's guaranteed you won't regain any weight then, and you won't have to struggle with large amounts of junk food in the fridge, since he'll keep you both on track. My nutritionist once told me that you end up getting obsessed with food sanitary safety, not just nutritional values, so make sure you don't get too obsessed with everything and take good care of each other :)
    Will do! I've been fairly good, he just doesn't let me buy junk food. He pushes healthy lean foods and some protein shakes instead. It was so hard at first, but getting better!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!