Color Run?

Options
I've been seeing some pictures and things about the Color Run 5K. What exactly is it and how does it go? It looks like something I would LOVE to do and train for, but I'm curious if anyone has done it and what they think

Replies

• gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    http://thecolorrun.com/about/ This should tell you what it is. I've not done one, but it does look like too much fun!
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Thanks! It's part of the reason I started running again! It looks like such a blast!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    There seems to be so many fun runs out there. Incuding this one. Stuff like this gets me excited to do C25K since it will ideally get me to the point where I can do this stuff.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    It's a 5K and there is dyed cornstarch that people throw on you (and they also have people spraying you with water mixed with the dyed cornstarch) while you're running. No obstacles or anything. I did it in June when it was in MA and it was fun, but just be careful to keep your mouth closed when they throw the cornstarch at you!! One kid threw a handfull of it right in my mouth and I ended up choking on it, so I was on the side of the course coughing up red cornstarch which looks like blood...I got a lot of attention that I did not want!

My course kinda sucked because it was in a mall parking lot, so they basically roped off a zig-zag course around the parking lot which was pretty boring, but they had music playing and stuff. Most people had fun but I prefer 5Ks with more runners than walkers (the course was really narrow so walkers were in my way) and not choking on cornstarch.
  • loliblullama
    loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do this but the UK has none. sucks.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Seems popular! I checked for one around here. There's one in Charlotte on the 17th at the racetrack, but it's full up already! Guess we're gonna have to wait until next time, but I'm super pumped about it!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There are several different ones - The Color Run, Color Me Rad, and Gnarly Neon, all 5k runs. I did Color Me Rad in September and it was a blast! Huge crowd, the event sold out quickly for my city, so they added a second start time in the afternoon. Ours was in a local park, course was on grass, pavement and dirt track (and wasn't quite a full 5k distance it turns out, but not a competitive race, so no big deal, just thought it was funny :tongue:).

Color Me Rad provided wayfarer type sunglasses in the race packet, you got a t-shirt, and they give you a color packet when you cross the finish line for a big color bomb as the crowd gathers and everyone throws their color in the air. :smile: They also had white tees, bandanas, extra color packs, and other stuff you could buy at packet pick up. I just wore a white tank top & old running shoes - the color gets absolutely EVERYWHERE, so don't wear anything you don't want to be permanently colored! I wore gray running shorts and they didn't stain, the color just doesn't show on them as much I guess. If you want to bring a phone or camera, put it in a ziplock because the powder will get on it, even in a running belt tucked under your shirt! LOL And the inside of my white HRM watchband is permanently pink now, but a fun reminder of the run.

Ours had lots of runners, walkers, kids, strollers, you name it. All levels are welcome. If there's one coming to your area, do it! Grab a bunch of friends and get them to sign up too - more fun with pals. Although I actually signed up and ran it alone, and still had a great time.

Edited to add: If your local event is sold out, check and see if they have a Facebook event page for it. People were swapping start times and selling entries quite a bit because they couldn't make it for whatever reason. Maybe you'll get a spot.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Thanks! I looked up the other races, seems none even come close here but I'll keep an eye out!!
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    I did the Color Run in Ann Arbor this summer! Super fun!! however if you are doing it for the cardio/work out aspect don't expect much. There are so many people running it that you can't really do it for a good workout. It's a non-timed fun run things. I do highly reccomend it! I did it with a group of people which made it even more fun! Good luck!
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Also, depending on the location, you can probably just show up and run anyway. My boyfriend wasn't able to sign up for the Color Me Rad in our city, but because the route was through downtown and the crowd was so huge, he just came and ran with us. I think there were probably double the number of people there as there had been tickets sold. :)
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I did the Color Run in Ann Arbor this summer! Super fun!! however if you are doing it for the cardio/work out aspect don't expect much. There are so many people running it that you can't really do it for a good workout. It's a non-timed fun run things. I do highly reccomend it! I did it with a group of people which made it even more fun! Good luck!

I agree with this. The video on their page makes it look like you run through and get covered with color while you run. I was expecting to show up and run a 5K.

Well basically there's so many people, that unless you're in the first group to go, your experience won't look like the video. You get to the colors and there's a slow line to walk through and have people squirt the color on you. People don't care about running, so you have to dodge people walking all over the place. It wasn't "the color run," it was"the color hey lets take a stroll down the street in Richmond Heights." Also, it wasn't really 5K, it was around 2.7 miles at the most.

It was a fun event, it was fun to get together with my friends and we even made team t-shirts. However, I was disappointed - it's really not a "run" at all. I feel like I am the only person who's ever had anything negative to say about it, so you'll probably like it.
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    I highly recommend doing this at least once. This was my first 5K where I actually ran the entire thing, and it was so much fun. My advice is to wear all white and bring a camera and friends. Such a fun experience!!
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I've done a bunch of research on it, or ones very similar. All the others aren't coming to my area for at least a year, except Color in Motion. It isn't until March 30 so I can't register yet, but I'm waiting for it to open!
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    So much fun, just did the Miami color run and had a blast. tons of great energy. there were over 10,000 participants and I did not feel crowded at all, well at least not until the end when we all threw our color at the same time. I could not even see my hands in front of me. I highly recommend this event, lots of great people having a good time.
  • nascarbettie
    nascarbettie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    There are several different ones - The Color Run, Color Me Rad, and Gnarly Neon, all 5k runs. I did Color Me Rad in September and it was a blast! Huge crowd, the event sold out quickly for my city, so they added a second start time in the afternoon. Ours was in a local park, course was on grass, pavement and dirt track (and wasn't quite a full 5k distance it turns out, but not a competitive race, so no big deal, just thought it was funny :tongue:).

Color Me Rad provided wayfarer type sunglasses in the race packet, you got a t-shirt, and they give you a color packet when you cross the finish line for a big color bomb as the crowd gathers and everyone throws their color in the air. :smile: They also had white tees, bandanas, extra color packs, and other stuff you could buy at packet pick up. I just wore a white tank top & old running shoes - the color gets absolutely EVERYWHERE, so don't wear anything you don't want to be permanently colored! I wore gray running shorts and they didn't stain, the color just doesn't show on them as much I guess. If you want to bring a phone or camera, put it in a ziplock because the powder will get on it, even in a running belt tucked under your shirt! LOL And the inside of my white HRM watchband is permanently pink now, but a fun reminder of the run.

Ours had lots of runners, walkers, kids, strollers, you name it. All levels are welcome. If there's one coming to your area, do it! Grab a bunch of friends and get them to sign up too - more fun with pals. Although I actually signed up and ran it alone, and still had a great time.

Edited to add: If your local event is sold out, check and see if they have a Facebook event page for it. People were swapping start times and selling entries quite a bit because they couldn't make it for whatever reason. Maybe you'll get a spot.

This is awesome info! I did the Color Me Rad race in July and it was a blast. I can't wait to do it again.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Also, depending on the location, you can probably just show up and run anyway. My boyfriend wasn't able to sign up for the Color Me Rad in our city, but because the route was through downtown and the crowd was so huge, he just came and ran with us. I think there were probably double the number of people there as there had been tickets sold. :)

I would so do that if I could! Unfortunately I live in Nascar country so everything that can be done at the race track is. So it's no different, they all seem to be at Charlotte Motor Speedway. They have that place under lock and key! But I'm sure I can find another at one point!

But the more I read what you guys are saying the more I'm pumped to do it!!
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    I did the Color Run in Philadelphia this year and it was a great time! As far as training goes...I wouldn't stress too much about it. It's really a lot more social than serious. It is not timed and at the color stations (every 1K) there is a bottle neck of people trying to get doused with color. Soooooooo much fun! I did it with my son and we both loved it. We really just walked it because of the insane number of people! Definitely worth doing! I'm looking forward to doing a couple of them in 2013.
  • SuzyAndrew
    SuzyAndrew Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for the Colour Run in Sydney next February. I'm going to do it with my 5 year old son, can't wait! And after looking at the pictures on the website, neither can he. :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options

ditto! I did it in Grand Rapids.
  • whitneyas
    whitneyas Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    We had an awesome time at the one we went to in July in MA. There was a large mix of runners and walkers- there were some who took it very seriously and others who came with their kids and walked. Afterwards they had a big party in a sports park which was a blast. Get together as many friends as possible and go as crazy as you want with your outfits- it was a blast!