measuring cup vs. food scale

Options
2»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Also, you can get a good food scale for not a lot of money. I bought a nice digital one on Amazon for about $20 and I've had it for about three years. I just two days ago had to change the battery that it came with!

The brand is Newline.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    i think you are confusing volume ounces with weight ounces...
  • naturallyadiva
    naturallyadiva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am going to Bed Bath and Beyond tomorrow to get the Biggest Loser Scale, they have it for 19.99 and I am sure you can use one of those coupons they send in the mail as well.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I am going to Bed Bath and Beyond tomorrow to get the Biggest Loser Scale, they have it for 19.99 and I am sure you can use one of those coupons they send in the mail as well.
    I have this scale and I love it! It works so well.

Definitely go with the scale. You're right about the measuring cups: even though they should all be the same size, their true capacity varies. If I remember an article from "Cooks Illustrated", different models can vary by 20%

Another advocate for the scale is Food Network. My mom loves a lot of their programs, and more than one chef has commented that scales are more accurate.
  • schparks
    schparks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just bought a food scale on Amazon, it came to $7.50 (including shipping!), and I am soooo glad I did! Even things like bread, that give you calories "per slice", come to different weights on the scale, some above the serving size. I discovered that the rye bread I typically buy was actually about 1.25 servings per slice by weight for the center pieces. I eat this particular brand of bread almost every day!! If you are being extremely dilligent about calorie counting, those things add up.