I Hate Cardio

Options
I have just started working out again for the first time in years. I want to stick with it but I've come to realize that I hate cardio. I hate jumping around. Maybe it's I'm a big-chested girl. No matter what I do it's very painful. I am currently doing 30 Day Shred but I dread the jumping jacks and jumping rope. Maybe once I lose weight it won't affect me as much. I love the strength training but I'm over-weight and I need to lose 60+ pounds in 7 months. I have been eating better (no candy or chips) and staying under my allotted caloric intake but is there a way to lose the weight and forego all the jumping? I know you have to get your heart rate up to burn calories but is there another way.
I do walk but the weather is getting worse every day so I be unable to continue. I was looking to buy this (((http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ellipticals/17164429))) but was unsure. I'm not interested in joining a gym so any home-based work outs, DVDs, equipment, etc. would be helpful. Thanks guys!!!

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    there are LOTS of different types of Cardio exercises you can do..have you considered swimming, bike riding, aerobics, zumba, spinning classes etc?

try them all and you might find one that you really enjoy!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you aren't interested in joining a gym?

Just curious. That said. Find what works for you.
    I do know a lot of women who HATE cardio get a kick out of Zumba. What's important is for you to pick something you really love so that you can stick with it.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. Just eat within your calorie goals and you'll drop the pounds regardless.

However, there are many other forms of cardio that you could do that don't require jumping jacks (such as elliptical, like you said). I had the same issue initially and I just wear a regular bra + a sports bra which works really well for me.

Or just lift weights, which is great as well.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat so i prefer the Elliptical machine/Cross trainer, it is a good cardio workout but less jarring on our knees etc.

As mentioned above swimming is excellent!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Try not to do something that causes you to move around and jump up and down. I like Leslie Sansone. You get great cardio in without all the jumping.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Bike - Your chest won't jump. Best cardio there is, easy to control the intesity and when you wanna take a break you are already sitting on a chair !
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I like Zumba and just walking. I have bad knees and will not do ANY jumping or bouncing. With diet and walking alone I've lost 15lbs in the last 3 months. It's not coming off super fast but it IS coming off. I've also done light weight lifting with my cardio.

I like the staionary bike at the gym. It's got a bucket seat so it doesn't hurt to sit on it.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I bought a treadmill and I walk. No jumping around, gets my heart rate up and is something that I can stick with. Lots of people on this site have lost a lot of weight just by walking as their main form of exercise.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have just started working out again for the first time in years. I want to stick with it but I've come to realize that I hate cardio. I hate jumping around. Maybe it's I'm a big-chested girl. No matter what I do it's very painful. I am currently doing 30 Day Shred but I dread the jumping jacks and jumping rope. Maybe once I lose weight it won't affect me as much. I love the strength training but I'm over-weight and I need to lose 60+ pounds in 7 months. I have been eating better (no candy or chips) and staying under my allotted caloric intake but is there a way to lose the weight and forego all the jumping? I know you have to get your heart rate up to burn calories but is there another way.
    I do walk but the weather is getting worse every day so I be unable to continue. I was looking to buy this (((http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ellipticals/17164429))) but was unsure. I'm not interested in joining a gym so any home-based work outs, DVDs, equipment, etc. would be helpful. Thanks guys!!!

A good women's lifting program would be good, you can get a variety of dumb bells and a bench and do awesome workouts at home. You will want a variety of dumbbell weights or an adjustable set.

For cardio the elliptical would probably be good because it's low impact and not so much bouncing. The cardio will get better as you get smaller and also as you get stronger and your body gets used to it. If you keep at it you will start feeling good doing it. You will always have some good days and some not so great days even after you adjust.

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are female you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulky and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories.

Here are some ideas from the workout I do, I don't do all these exercises every day, the routines change all the time but it can give you some ideas:

The routine I do consists of weight lifting first and cardio second, but I still do cardio (mainly running). I change up everything all the time. My running is sometimes long easy runs, sometimes HIIT, sometimes shorter medium pace runs. My weight routine changes each day, each week, Circuits, Intermittent Super Sets, Fibonacci Pyramids, X-sets, Progress Venus Pyramids, and some splits, constantly changing it up, everything a variety of Strength, Hypertrophy, and Endurance.

Legs; In addition to Deadlift's, Stiff Leg Dead Lifts, Sumo Dead Lifts and Squats I do Bulgarian Split Squats, Lunges, Reverse lunges, Curtsey lunges, Step Ups, Crossover Bench Step Ups, One legged Deadlifts (T-Bend), Lunge Matrix, Bowler Squat, One Legged Get Ups, Bower Squat and Calf Raise, Bowler Squat + Stiff Leg Deadlift, Curtsey Lunge + Dumbbell Squat, T-Bend + Y-Squat, Reverse Lunge & Step Up, Curtsey Lunge + Step Up, Y-squat, Narrow Stance Squat

For upper body I do Standing Shoulder Press, Standing Dumbell Curls, Lying Tricep extension, Pullovers, Bent Barbell Row, Standing lateral Raise, Standing front Raise, Curl and Press, Shoulder Press + Curl, Dips, Lying Tricep Extensions + Flyes, Venus Raise (a type of snatch), Bent Row + Standing Lateral Raise, Pullovers, Pushup + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Bent Lateral Raise + Pullovers, One Arm Dumbbell row, Flyes + Pushups, Seated Curl & Tate Press, Seated Curls + Overhead Tricep Extension, Pushups, Pullovers + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Lateral Raise + Full Front Raise, Venus Raise + Dips, Standing Dumbbell curls + Lying Tricep Extension, Upright Row + Dips, Bent Barbell Row, Flat bench Press, Incline Bench Press, Bent Row Narrow, Bent Row + Kickback,

Then some upper and lower combos; Squat and Front Raise, Step Up & Press, Step Up + Standing Shoulder Press, Squat & Press, Squat & Swing, Curtsy Lunge + Standing Shoulder Pres, T-Bend & Row, Pike Front Rais + Curtsey Lunge, Flat Bench Press + Step Up.

Core: Bar Bell Rollouts (you can start out with Stability Ball Roll Outs), Swiss Ball Pikes (you can start out with Stability Ball Curl Ups), and planks. As you advance Swiss Ball Pike and pushup.

I probably forgot some but you get the idea.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Try reading (NROLFW) New Rules of Lifting for Women... you may come upon some new insight.
  • Viveyp21
    Viveyp21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a large chest as well. A lot of my problem was a bad bra. I got one of the more expensive ones and it holds better which causes less pain.
  • MzGoddezz
    MzGoddezz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm really considering Zumba. I didn't want to buy a gym membership because I'm a bit embarrassed to be seen working out because I am really out of shape, the cost, and the distance. I also like the idea of getting an elliptical machine.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You need a good supporting bra! Also, try to stay away from high impact cardio until you reach a healthier weight, you can ride a bike, walk on an incline ona treadmill or outdoors and if you find the right bra you can do some aerobic dance classes. When i had 44 pounds to reach my goal weight i started doing body combat classes and it's what has kept me going.
    Once you are on a lighter weight it won't hurt that much to do high impact cardio and your body will be stronger to handle the movement.
    Swimming is something you should try right nowthat you're starting. Apart from being the top #1st aerobic exercise its impact on joints (and boobs) is virtually non existent,and it could even save your life one day
    Why do you say you have to lose 60 pounds in 7 months? You shouldn't set a time limit because weightloss is not something you have full control of.you could plateau at any time. Just focus on changing habits slowly and keep those changes for life.

I used to be really big chested and it did hurt to do certain exercises. But you will lose fat fromthat particular part of your body and it will hurt a lot less (and the bouncing will be less embarassing)

:)
    Best of luck girl!!! Be strong
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    You don't have to do cardio if you don't want to, or maybe find something that you do like. Stick with weights and keep your cals and macros in check.
  • Viveyp21
    Viveyp21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Girl do not be embarrassed at the gym! That is what it is for! I do Zumba and I am so not coordinated but as long as I am moving and laughing (at myself) I am happy...
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Get an underarmour compression sports bra. Pricey, but totally worth it. The ta-tas don't move!
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I looooove Zumba and go to the local Y to do it there.

If you have a treadmill, I do a work out when I don't want to run where I set the speed at 3.5 mph and walk at 1.5 incline for 5 minutes to warm-up....then every 2 minutes, I hit the "incline" button up until 1/2 way through the workout (example, until I hit 20 minutes for a 40 minutes walk after warm-up)....at that time, I hit the "decline" button every 2 minutes....then finish with a 5 minute slow down walk. You burn between 300-350 calories doing that...and technically are "walking uphill" the whole time which is how I record it in MFP.

Good luck to you!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cardio! I hated it at first but I forced myself to stick with it and now running is my life. If you're up for it, I can't say enough good things about C25K. You should ask your doctor first though for sure, get a good check up if you haven't already.
  • tlnurse
    tlnurse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Oh yea....and bra=wise. Go to "titlenine.com" and get a bra with "4" Dumbbells on it. Pricey...but WORTH IT! The ladies will NOT MOVE!!!
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm really considering Zumba. I didn't want to buy a gym membership because I'm a bit embarrassed to be seen working out because I am really out of shape, the cost, and the distance. I also like the idea of getting an elliptical machine.
    I haven't tried zumba but any aerobic dance would do wonders and be lots of fun!
    The elliptical is also a great choice! To me a gym membership worked better because idon't have enough discipline to workout at home :) if you ever want to join a gym you would be surprised at the amount of people who are therento lose as manu pounds as you :) so don't let any prejudices keep you away from the gym.

As the others said,you need to lift weights to keep your muscle mass and metabolism going :)