Motivation?

Options
Hey guys,

How do you guys motivate yourself? I am ready to dive in completely. I do not want to feel a high now but drop to a low later on. What should I do??

Replies

• explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think you have to find what truly works for you, what is something that you really want to achieve? For instance, I really want to be able to wear a sexy costume at a sci-fi convention - this is meaningful and important to me, but maybe not to others.

In addition to actual goals, maybe some (non-food) rewards for yourself. I have a general plan of getting more tattoos when I have achieved my weight loss goal, and knowing I'm going to be able to do that makes me determined to get there!
    Hey guys,

How do you guys motivate yourself? I am ready to dive in completely. I do not want to feel a high now but drop to a low later on. What should I do??
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    The simple truth: Committment is more important than motivation.

You will wax and wane. All of us do. Make a promise to yourself that you will do it regardless. Then do it.

Having said that, I do many different things to actively work on increasing motivation when it starts to wane. Some things I do include:

*I use more than one type of tool for measuring. I use pictures, body fat calculations (gym does it for me), a scale, and body measurements. Sometimes when I can't see results one way, I find it using a different measurement.

*Talk frequently to people who are love fitness. Sometimes the kick I need involves someone who has been there. Sometimes I need a challenge. Sometimes I am encouraged by learning something new. Then sometimes just talking it through is the push I need.

*Positive self talk is important. I tell myself what I have accomplished and I tell myself I CAN do this. I tell myself I WILL do this.

*I make mini goals. Right now my next goal is to increase my barbell squat weight to 95lbs and to do one chin up unassisted. Some goals may be weight related but most of my goals are fitness or diet related. I focus on that and change will come as a result.

*I celebrate my accomplishments by shouting them out to anyone that will listen. I take pride in my changes. This helps motivate me to keep going.

*Some exercises I do for fun and some for results. If I feel a lag in motivation, I may need to do something just for fun. It took me awhile to figure out what I like to do for fun.

*I keep reminding myself this is a journey, not just a destination. I have to remind myself to celebrate where I am and the changes and accomplishments I've made. It's good to have a goal. It's important to have a goal but celebrate now too.

*Mistakes will happen. Learn from them. That's the best thing you can do with them. Beating yourself up won't work. Hiding it won't work either. Make a new plan and think through what happened.

*I've become a number nerd. Sometimes I sit and make spreadsheets and analyze my diary over time. Maybe not everyone makes a spreadsheet but some form of short and long term analysis should be occurring at regular intervals. Not only does this help motivate, but it helps you really see what you are doing. Many times my gut feeling was off and I changed my mini goals accordingly.

*Again, it's a journey. It is a continuous process. The single most important thing yo help yourself not only lose but maintain is to get it through your brain right now that this is a lifestyle change and not just a temporary diet change. Do something that you can do for life. Make changes along the way instead of trying to be fully restrictive up front.

But motivation will wax and wane. Count on it. Are you ready to just bite the bullet and do it? Make a commitment to yourself. This is how you truly win. Don't give up.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    By the way, this is a great question to ask up front because many people do over rely on motivation whereas commitment is really the key to long term results.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I just have to keep thinking what I want to look like. Also because I get depressed and it gets much worse if I do not stay motivated. It's hard, but I just have to push through!