hey mom's! you know that....

Options
You know that after-the-baby-comes flap of skin that hangs over?.. Well I have one and it's gotten a lot smaller since I have been losing weight.. My question is, will it go away? Do i need to do more ab exercises? Or do you think I'm gonna have to get it removed after the weight comes off?

Any insight would be great!

Replies

• mama22girlz
    Options
    no idea but I'm curious to know also hate that baby pouch
  • littlemissyme
    Options
    I know mine went away after I lost the baby fat. Took awhile though.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    :sad: Mines just turned into this sad 'w' looking skin mess.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I had 2 c-secs, I still have a lot of weight to lose, but from what my Dr. told me, in my case, it probably won't go away without a little cosmetic surgery.
    It has mostly to do with genetics, if you skin still has good elastin to it and for how long you've been overweight.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Mine has a small "w" quality as well. Darn kangaroo pouch! I wish there was sure fire way to make it go! I guess ab exercises, but I need to talk to a personal trainer, seriously!

:sad: Mines just turned into this sad 'w' looking skin mess.
  • brookelillie
    Options
    I've also had 2 c sections (with 10 lb+ babies) so I think I'll need a little cosmetic surgery. I want a flat bellý!!!
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    After 3 c-sections the dr told me that some women have very elastic skin and they will lose the "flap" - tends to be women that didnt really get stretch marks - the elasticity of the skin helps them to bounce back - but even if you have that type of skin it could take years. If you have had c-sections, even if you have that skin, depending on how the incisions healed may determine whether it evver goes away (scar tissue etc)...if you dont have elastic skin (sounds funny) then it may never go away completely -- but if it isnt scar tissue then it is fat and fat will eventually disappear with exercise - cardio - but just as we women have boobs (fat stores) that is an area we store most....
    :-(
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Mine has shrank A LOT!!!! it is still too jiggly for my liking, but I'm working on it!!! reverse cruches are good to target that area... strengthen the muscles under that saggy skin... It will help a lot... And I agree... LOT'S OF CARDIO!!! I'm really hoping that mine will go away entirely... We'll see :wink:
  • rmaryv
    rmaryv Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,

I have 2 kids and I was able to lose the sagging skin by doing cardiovascular exercise (3-4 days a week) and ab work out (every other day for abs). I also think the sagging of your skin depends on your genetics (elasticity of your skin). Some women are not able to get that skin pulled back into shape due to genetics.
  • Candiceg13
    Options
    I have had 4 children in 10 years, and 3 C-Sections in the last 5 years, my youngest is just now 6 months and I have had the "extra flap" ever since my 1st 10 years ago. Exercise, weight loss and good diet do help, and some women lose it with no problem, but I am not one of those women!!!!!

I was told prior to this baby, that due to the extent of damage my large babies have done to my body (C-Sections included) that I will almost for sure need surgical intervention!

But that is me, not necessarily you, or you, or her!!!!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Heres a good video on this topic:

It has 2 other topics on it. The belly part is the second question. I tried to FF to it, but it wouldn't work. Either way the other info on this vid is good, just not related to your question.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/post-run-bms-belly-fat-and-glute-pimples-0

And this is just copy and pasted, but I think its very informative. I couldn't find the video:

The prospect of trying to eliminate your post-pregnancy pooch and recover a flat stomach can be daunting. Some women suffer from a condition called diastasis recti, in which the abdominal muscles get separated during pregnancy, leading to said pooch.

To tell if you have this problem, see if you can gently push your fingers thru a gap in your stomach muscles. You can help tighten your abdominal wall through exercise. A good move - the modified cat pose from yoga, while you're standing in the shower. It helps re-awaken the abs without putting a whole lot of pressure on the muscles.

But remember, the secret to a flat stomach doesn't simply center around core strength, but also making sure that you eat right and avoid the simple carbohydrates that set up shop on your hips or waist unless you are running marathons to burn the sugar.

These are some exercises that will help tighten your core and eliminate the separation in your abdominal muscles some women have after giving birth (called a diastasis recti). And ultimately, this can be your lifelong program for strengthening and maintaining your entire core area. (Note: Don't do crunches, sit-ups, and heavy lifting if you have diastasis recti; they can aggravate a separation.)
    1.Pull-Ins: Keep the natural arch of your lower back and draw your navel in toward your spine. You can do this standing, sitting, or lying down. Start by doing 20 or so a couple of times a day, beginning the day after you have the baby, and work up to doing 50 to 100 of them twice a day.
    2.Leg Slides Against the Floor: Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Find your neutral spine position, with your lower back just slightly off the floor. While keeping your back completely still, slowly slide one foot out along the floor until the leg is straight and pull it back in again. The arch in your spine should remain constant. Once you can do 20 repetitions with each leg while maintaining a stable spine and without detecting any ridge or bulge in your abdomen, you can move on to our next exercise. You may liberally use pillows to support the area under the knees to help keep the lower back as close to the floor as possible (not arching the spine beyond its natural arch).
    3.Leg Slides with One Leg Lifted: Assume the same position as above. Lift one foot off the floor with the knee still bent. Extend the leg out as you did before, but this time keeping your toes a few inches above the floor. Do 20 repetitions on each side while keeping a neutral spine. Once you can do the 20 repetitions while maintaining a neutral spine and flat abdomen, you can move on to the next exercise.
    4.Single Leg Floor Touch: From the same starting position, lift one leg off the floor keeping the knee bent. Now lift the other leg up to meet that leg. Keeping one leg still and keeping both knees bent, slowly lower one leg toward the floor until your foot touches the floor, and bring it back up. Once you can do 20 repetitions on each side, move to the next exercise.

Hope you find something helpful in all that......

Holly
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see.. but I'm thinking I'll have to do the surgery :( And I told that doctor to cut it all off when I was in the c-section.. he laguh and told me that's a completely different surgery.. I tried! lol