Healthy vs. Unhealthy?

Options
Hey guys,

How can I tell what foods are the healthiest for me? I know that I am not eating junk food all the time, I actually do not even like it. However, I am not sure that I am picking the best of the healthy. I need more confidence that I am choosing the good food for my body.

Also, what health brands are actually healthy for me that still have a natural taste?

~desie

Replies

• Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I tend to focus more on reading labels and making sure I'm getting my nutrients and macros in than eating "healthy". Because of it, I usually end up eating foods that are good for me, without buying into the latest "healthy food" fads. I'm somewhat of a newbie myself, so I'm not sure about good brands, sorry!

Anybody else more experienced have any tips? I'm interested too! Bump.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Is there anything specific that you are talking about? I think you were a little too vague
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Sorry but this is going to turn into a confusing free for all - carbs are good, carbs are bad, protein is king, fat is bad, some fats are good, look at your macros, reset your macros, eggs are evil, eggs are good, avocados are evil, avocados are good, grains are good, grains are bad, clean is mean, moderation is the key, imflammatory foods are no-no, gluten free, wheat belly, red meat is bad, white meat is good, no meat is bad, no meat is good, deli meats are bad, deli meats are good, no processed, no fruit, no sugar, no pasta, no rice, no fun thread.

Good luck and get your crash helmet ready...
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sorry but this is going to turn into a confusing free for all - carbs are good, carbs are bad, protein is king, fat is bad, some fats are good, look at your macros, reset your macros, eggs are evil, eggs are good, avocados are evil, avocados are good, grains are good, grains are bad, clean is mean, moderation is the key, imflammatory foods are no-no, gluten free, wheat belly, red meat is bad, white meat is good, no meat is bad, no meat is good, deli meats are bad, deli meats are good, no processed, no fruit, no sugar, no pasta, no rice, no fun thread.

Good luck and get your crash helmet ready...

~laughs~ Very true.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Don't over complicate things, don't restrict anything from your diet unless if you have a medical condition that requires you to do so. Have a wide variety of fruit, veggies, protein, fats, starches and enjoy the bountiful food you have available to you.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have made it this far without my fresh fruit on hand. I eat several servings a day, with at least 2 servings of veggies as well. I don't completely cut out processed foods, but the more of the good stuff I eat, the less of the bad stuff I eat. It kind of works itself out.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    A few things just about everybody can agree upon: get enough protein (more if you're trying to build muscle), simple carbs are bad, processed sugar is bad, trans fats are bad, and vegetables are good.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    A few things just about everybody can agree upon: get enough protein (more if you're trying to build muscle), simple carbs are bad, processed sugar is bad, trans fats are bad, and vegetables are good.

nope I don't agree with all of it.

Processed sugar and simple carbs are not bad. Labeling foods as bad without dosage is a little ridiculous.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    There are levels of healthy I suppose. Whole foods of course are best, especially when prepared using minimum oils (especially deep fried)... Avoiding processed foods is always good. Whole organic foods eliminate the pesticides, etc. Remember though, there is a balance between HEALTHY and WEALTHY... In other words, don't give up so much you say to heck with it and give up.... Best wishes on your journey.
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think key is everything in moderation. Try to have a balance in all food groups and not feel deprived. 

I personally think more veggies and lean meats are the way to go. But that's mostly personal preference. 
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Basically, try to avoid/limit food that comes in a box.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

Processed sugar and simple carbs are not bad. Labeling foods as bad without dosage is a little ridiculous.

What I meant by that, are those are the things you need to limit. You shouldn't eat a whole box of pasta, but you could totally eat 4 or 5 bags of spinach and be fine. Hopefully that clarifies things a bit.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

What I meant by that, are those are the things you need to limit. You shouldn't eat a whole box of pasta, but you could totally eat 4 or 5 bags of spinach and be fine. Hopefully that clarifies things a bit.

I've eaten an entire box of pasta in a day several times last month alone, doesn't seemed to be detrimental to my health at all. I eat plenty of candy bars, baked goods, drink a 2 liter of Mountain Dew several days a week, and I'm in better shape than most people that I know that eat "clean".
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I've eaten an entire box of pasta in a day several times last month alone, doesn't seemed to be detrimental to my health at all. I eat plenty of candy bars, baked goods, drink a 2 liter of Mountain Dew several days a week, and I'm in better shape than most people that I know that eat "clean".

That may be so, but what is your workout regime?
    That sort of diet might work for someone who trains intensely/weight lifts, but not so much for someone who is more sedentary.
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that very few things are absolutely 'healthy' or 'unhealthy'; by far the most important thing is the overall balance of your diet. Fruit is 'healthy', but if it's all you ever eat, your diet won't be...

As has already been said, many people on here are firm advocates of particular ways of eating (and equally firm about the importance of avoiding particular foods). Given that many of these are incompatible with one another, you're likely to get a bunch of conflicting advice, and need to work out for yourself which bits suit you and your lifestyle best for the long run.