Mexican Food Restaurant -- help

eyeat44
eyeat44 Posts: 3 Member
So, going to a Mexican restaurant for burnch tomorrow. Anyone have tips on how to stay healthy, beside easy on the chips.

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    So, going to a Mexican restaurant for burnch tomorrow. Anyone have tips on how to stay healthy, beside easy on the chips.

Taco salad without much chips, salsa for dressing, easy on the cheese and avocado (or anything high calorie.

Or have whatever you want and simply include it in your calorie budget for the day or week.
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Pico de galo and black beans are your friends. Go easy on cheese and starches, and like you said, the chips. The avocado in guacamole is good for you IF you keep it to one serving. Good luck.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Everybody always says fajitas which are really good. If it were me, I'd have a few chips, ordered whatever I wanted, and let someone else take the leftovers home.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    i always getting something with black beans (i am a vegetarian), or the vegetarian fajitas without eating the tortilla and have some salsa and guac with it. the margaritas are what kill me lol
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Fajitas, hold the tortillas. Black bean soup. Have fun
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    My trick (and I LOVE mexican food!) is to order a taco salad or tostada...BUT, I do NOT eat the shell, I have them switch rice instead of the beans (less gas and generally less carbs). I ditch the sour cream and have them lighten the cheese..... but I do eat the avocado...tomatoes etc.

Basically I've just ordered a meat (try carnitas!!) salad and that always fits in the calorie/carb budget.

Good Luck and Have fun!

p.s. if you are going to have a drink, just have tequila on the rocks with lime....or tequila and club soda with lime...same effect as a margarita but way less cals/carbs
  • your timing is good I bought a groupon and splurged at a Mexican Restaurant today. I went hungry, did not drink enough water before, and went out of my mind crazy eating the chips. I did order chicken fajitas but I did not have enough will power to cut it back. Good luck...I'm sure you will do better than I did. I'll exercise like mad this next week but I lost valuable time...don't do as I did LOL
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    I always get fajitas without the tortillas and load up the fixins with lots of salsa. If you can get black beans instead of refried, do. Also try to avoid the cheese sauce. But if you can add in an extra workout or eat really light the rest of the day, then go for it!
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 564 Member
    Try to avoid creamy sauces and sour cream if you can. The hardest part for me is controlling myself around the queso. :-)

Enjoy!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    chicken enchilada's are my fave
  • Findingmyathlete
    Findingmyathlete Posts: 57 Member
    I have been going to this Mexican Restaurant once a week because my fiance loves it (well I do too lol my diet just doesn't). So my choice when I eat there and want to be low cal, is, as already mentioned - low on the chips. Then I ordered a grilled chicken salad with no sour cream. I replace the sour cream with Guacamole if I have enough calories allotted, and I enjoy the serving of cheese (since I'm not eating rice and beans with it). It comes to roughly 450 calories. I'm sure if I let go of the Guacamole it'd be more like 300 something :)
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Grilled chicken salad no dressing... my go to! I love the cheese and spicy chicken strips. If I go at supper I get a cheese quesidilla along with it.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    carne asada tacos max 2 hold everything except pico de gallo. :) I love mexican!
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Choose chicken over beef, if possible. Take it easy on the tortillas. Avoid fried rice, or any rice since restaurants give you LOADS of rice on the plate and it's so hard not to eat it all. Avocado is good in moderation, black beans are good, salsa is usually pretty safe. Skip the sour cream. And if you're like me, doing without cheese is like stabbing yourself in the chest. Ask them to only put 1/2 the cheese on your entree than what they normal would put. Enjoy :)
  • Tortilla soup would be another good option. I find the liquid fills me up and it takes longer to eat.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    I usually order a small plate of enchiladas, rice and beans...go easy on the chips, skip any additional tortillas and eat only half the rice and half the beans they serve me. Living in South Texas there's no way to escape good Tex-Mex food so I don't even try anymore. For me it's all about portion control.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Kind of hard to tell depending on how AUTHENTIC the restaurant is. Obviously, avoid flautas and other fried stuff. Carne asada and menudo probably aren't the best choices.

I'd say fajitas like everyone else; or chicken tacos (if it comes with 2 tortillas, take one off, just be careful eating it lol). Generally; if it's authentic they won't have flour tortillas; but if you have a choice b/w flour and corn; get corn.

Avoid Horchata...worst enemy.

& most importantly, enjoy, and have fun :)