Election Day - NJ / NY displaced residents

Options
newmein2013
newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
What do you suppose will happen with the presidential election next week being that so many people have been displaced from their homes and won't be able to vote in their districts? Personally, it really bothers me that my vote (or lack thereof in this case) won't count. Seems very un-American to me.

Replies

• SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I hope that everyone gets a chance to exercise their right to vote. First and foremost, it's a right and a priveledge we have as Amercians, the importance of which cannot be understated. Seconde, I don't want there to be a question as to who won the presidential race because people that wanted to vote couldn't. I don't think the Country could handle that right now. Are there any other options for people that can't get to their precincts?
  • newmein2013
    Options
    I do know that the away ballots had to be picked up in your hometown & postmarked by 10/31 so noone can do the away ballots in the traditional manner at this point. I'd like to think that they would be making provisions by this point but I haven't heard anything at all abut it.
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    NJ voters can vote by email
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What do you suppose will happen with the presidential election next week being that so many people have been displaced from their homes and won't be able to vote in their districts? Personally, it really bothers me that my vote (or lack thereof in this case) won't count. Seems very un-American to me.

All the years I lived in New York, my vote never counted. *shrug*

From what I understand, they're extending the deadline for absentee ballots and setting up makeshift polling places for those who are displaced. They're trying to make it as accessible as possible.

Local and state elections aside, the state will go to Obama for president, regardless.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Local and state elections aside, the state will go to Obama for president, regardless.

^^^ This, so why worry?
  • newmein2013
    Options
    Ok, great, I had no idea. Thanks guys, I'll spread the word.

Why worry? Or why does it matter if the state's going to Obama anyway?...... Frankly, its a matter of principle.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Ok, great, I had no idea. Thanks guys, I'll spread the word.

Why worry? Or why does it matter if the state's going to Obama anyway?...... Frankly, its a matter of principle.
    Agreed. I'm just saying that it's going to happen regardless so if that's what you want, then you'll get it. And if it's not what you want, it doesn't matter because it's going to happen, anyway. lol

I'd totally believe voter fraud if not.

But I would also still want to vote. My suggestion is look online at your local election board or whatever you have and maybe make some phone calls in your area to see what you need to do.
  • tortor17
    tortor17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    They can always have an absentee ballot. I learned about that in History class when we were learning about the Presidential Election. That's when a ballot is mailed to wherever you are and you can just send in your vote. It's used mostly for people who cant get to polling places, such as senior citizens or people who are on vacation during the time of the election.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

From what I understand, they're extending the deadline for absentee ballots and setting up makeshift polling places for those who are displaced. They're trying to make it as accessible as possible.

RML I am so sorry for you. I live in Wisconsin and I have always felt that way but not to the extent of New York!!
  • tortor17
    tortor17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    And your vote does count. That's why most people don't vote, because they think their vote doesn't matter. If everyone thinks that their vote doesn't matter and when that happens everyones practically just giving their vote away and making it easier for someone that's not right for the job. If everyone changed their perspective about that better presidents would've been elected and our economy might not be as bad as it is now. I've never voted, wont be able to for a few years, and don't really have a say about anything that in involved with who becomes president, but I sure do have an opinion.
  • rml_16
    Options
    And your vote does count. That's why most people don't vote, because they think their vote doesn't matter. If everyone thinks that their vote doesn't matter and when that happens everyones practically just giving their vote away and making it easier for someone that's not right for the job. If everyone changed their perspective about that better presidents would've been elected and our economy might not be as bad as it is now. I've never voted, wont be able to for a few years, and don't really have a say about anything that in involved with who becomes president, but I sure do have an opinion.
    I've voted in every election since I turned 18. But the electoral college made any vote not for a Democrat for president when I live in NY pretty useless. There was never a chance that another candidate would carry the state.

Sorry to burst your bubble with reality.

There are a few states where every vote does matter, but many that are going to one candidate or the other, no question.
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Tom
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.