Potassium

Options
I try to monitor every aspect of my health and every few months I change setting on MFP to track one or two different areas. This time I decided to check out potassium and I am very concerned. MFP sets me at 3500 and I am clearing maybe 600! Did some quick research and am more confused now!

Can anyone advise on this?

Replies

• bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This troubled me, too, until I realised that most nutritional information does not give a value for potassium and therefore many people leave it blank when entering foods into the database, so we're probably getting a lot more than we might at first think.
  • Adrian211
    Adrian211 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Potassium is definitely one of the most important macronutrients that isn't inputted in a lot of foods on the website. Primarily it is found in meats, dairy products, fruits and vegetables, etc. I do a lot of home cooking, and when I log recipes, I always search for the USDA entries on this website for the base ingredients (e.g. chicken breasts, raw vegetables, cooked vegetables, etc.).

I watch Potassium carefully, and I have a very hard time hitting my recommended amount of 4700 mgs/day. On a good day, I'll hit 3000-3500, but on average I'm about 2000-2500. A very easy way to get more Potassium is to buy the no salt substitute, which has 650mg per 1/4 tsp.