How many calories?

Options
Hello everyone :)
I just need to know if 1200 calories is a good idea? It is the recommended amount that MFP calculated for me. I weigh 215 pounds and I am 5'3.. I only use the elliptical for 10 min/day ... (trying to build up longer, I am terribly out of shape with an ASD - fancy word for large hole in heart... waiting to get it repaired. ) Anyways, because I am so short, so overweight and not working out very much, is 1200 safe and okay? ( I don't sit all day long, but I do computer work most of the day as well as run after a toddler in between that) Any input would be great. I just want to do this the right way for once, for my health and my daughters.

Thank you kindly!

Replies

• meggolego
    Options
    Hey there prettymomma! I am 5'2 and started on MFP at 197 lbs with a 1200 calorie/day limit. It has worked out great for me. All about the quality of food. If I exercise, I will sometimes eat back some of my calories, all dependent on if I'm hungry/how much I exercised. 1200 works great for me though. I work in an office, sitting during work and try (key word try) to workout/run at least 3x a week. I don't feel starved or weak at all, but I also try to eat healthy food, not just low cal/little amounts.

Good luck!!
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i would do 1400 calories since you dont sit all day and workout as well
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone :)
    I just need to know if 1200 calories is a good idea? It is the recommended amount that MFP calculated for me. I weigh 215 pounds and I am 5'3.. I only use the elliptical for 10 min/day ... (trying to build up longer, I am terribly out of shape with an ASD - fancy word for large hole in heart... waiting to get it repaired. ) Anyways, because I am so short, so overweight and not working out very much, is 1200 safe and okay? ( I don't sit all day long, but I do computer work most of the day as well as run after a toddler in between that) Any input would be great. I just want to do this the right way for once, for my health and my daughters.

Thank you kindly!

That is exactly where I started. It is right. once you work up to exercising more, you may be able to eat back some calories, but for now just focus on getting your 1200 calories a day and drinking a lot of water. If you feel hungry, try eating more protein and fiber.
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and started near 200 pounds. I started with 1850 calories/day. I think the less aggressive you are, the less likely you are to fall off the wagon. I have lost 35 pounds since May and lowered my calories to about 1600-1700 now.

I feel like I see a lot of forum posts where people lose quickly on 1200 calories/day and then plateau. If I plateau at my current calorie intake, I have an option to cut calories.

This is just my two cents! Good luck!
  • soonergirl03
    soonergirl03 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I should do 1000 calories a day because I'm only 5'1 but that seems way to low so I do 1200 at first I was really hungry all the time but I have now lost 45 pounds and I'm getting use to it. I work out 5-6 times a week and I started to do some weight training about 2 months ago and now I'm losing weight faster and I have increased my calories to around 1300-1400 and I'm losing about 2-3 pounds per week. Good Luck !
  • prettymomma16
    Options
    Thank you ladies! I think I will try the 1200 but if I feel starved or start losing too much I will bump it up to 1400-1500. I want this to be a life long thing, not a quick fix. Thanks for all the great advice. Best of luck on your journey!

Ps. I also went over the daily rec amount of protien, but I like to pair protien with each meals because I am border line type 2 diabetic. I hope this works!