Snack before bed??

Options
It's 11:30pm and I'm hungry! I reached my calorie goal today and had a healthy dinner but now I'm hungry again. Why? What are some snacks that are okay before bed??

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so it's hard to say why you've reached your goal and are still hungry.

Either you ate too many foods that were high in cals and not rich in nutrients and fiber or you are eating too little.

Have something like a piece of light string cheese and a handful of grapes. Something low in cals, but with some protein and fat to keep you set through the night.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    A lot of the time a high carb snack puts off hunger 'til morning. Something like 300 or so calories of cereal with milk.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'd go for something high in protein, preferably low in fat. I love cheese, so I'd probably have some cottage cheese, or a oz. of cheddar.
  • evelina90
    evelina90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just had a snack too. I reached my Cal goal too, but I was still hungry so I just ate a granny smith apple (i love them), and now I am satisfied :) I think fruit is the way to go!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Do you have any turkey meat ? It will keep you full from the protein and Turkey meat helps you sleep better.. So it's a win/win !!!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    *Sits munching a KitKa at 1 AMt*

You saw nothing.
  • agentphantom
    Options
    I'd go for something high in protein, preferably low in fat. I love cheese, so I'd probably have some cottage cheese, or a oz. of cheddar.

+1 on the protein (cottage cheese). it is slow digesting and will keep you satiated whilst slumbering.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I like something filling like a steak or ribs. It gives me the itis so that I can sleep well.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    if i'm really hungry i'll have something...yogurt, apple, few bites of leftovers, glass of soymilk, etc. i try to determine if i'm actually hungry or just want to nibble on something. If it is the latter and it often is, i'll have a glass of water and make a cup of decaf tea. it often does the trick bc i'm rarely REALLY hungry at night, I just want something.
  • subtlewhisper
    subtlewhisper Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I stick a popsicle stick in a low fat yogurt and freeze it. Its only 35 calories and because its frozen it takes me a while to eat it. I feel full, satisfied and guilt-free.

25101989.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • my_so_called_life
    Options
    *Sits munching a KitKa at 1 AMt*

You saw nothing.

LOL!
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    if i'm really hungry i'll have something...yogurt, apple, few bites of leftovers, glass of soymilk, etc. i try to determine if i'm actually hungry or just want to nibble on something. If it is the latter and it often is, i'll have a glass of water and make a cup of decaf tea. it often does the trick bc i'm rarely REALLY hungry at night, I just want something.
    I feel like this even in the day time!!! I am never really hungry just bored.... and made a eating a habit for when im bored... so now i am trying water.... but if im really hungry than ill eat...
  • Jester522
    Options
    It's 11:30pm and I'm hungry! I reached my calorie goal today and had a healthy dinner but now I'm hungry again. Why? What are some snacks that are okay before bed??

Fats or veggies if you must. Carbs and protein are insulinogenic and will blunt GH release during sleep. Honestly, I would just let it pass.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Eat a little something.... or you probably won't be able to sleep! Just be smart about your selection and try not to go over your calorie quota for the day..... :)
  • MidgetGidget
    Options
    I use to have a rule, NO EATING AFTER 7 PM... but it didn't work and actually hurt me...I felt like a failure, so gave up. I've learned to leave a couple of hundred calories for after dinner. My go to evening snack is a cup of tea, 2 pieces of Ryvita crackers and 1 or 2 triangles of Light Laughing Cow cheese... under 150 calories ... very filling.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Fats or veggies if you must. Carbs and protein are insulinogenic and will blunt GH release during sleep. Honestly, I would just let it pass.

What makes you think that control over GH via dietary means is important?