sore shoulders with squats - any ideas?

Options
Hey guys

I started Stronglifts last week and it's going really well - with one minor issue.

You do squats every session and I've been lifting 30kgs of plates for that (plus the bar is about 20kgs I think). The problem is not my legs, which are sore, but handling it. The back of my neck/upper shoulders was REALLY painful when I put the weight on it the second session and it's still sore (due to do a session tomorrow).

Any ideas from squatters out there? Do your shoulders/neck get used to it, or do you have something you use to mitigate that pain?

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    first of all is the bar in the correct place? you need to squeeze your shoulder blades together so that the bar sits on your traps and not on any bones. Also check the bar position, it should sit under the lump at the top of your scapula. Research starting strength for position.

If you are totally correct then I guess you will get used to it if you are new to the exercise, I squat 70kg at the moment 5x5 and I have had no problems with sore back or neck, hopefully some others will comment with some more help :smile:
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's definitely sitting on the muscles - they're the things that are sore! Hopefully you're right and I'll just get used to it - 70kgs is impressive! How long have you been doing it?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    first of all is the bar in the correct place? you need to squeeze your shoulder blades together so that the bar sits on your traps and not on any bones. Also check the bar position, it should sit under the lump at the top of your scapula. Research starting strength for position.

If you are totally correct then I guess you will get used to it if you are new to the exercise, I squat 70kg at the moment 5x5 and I have had no problems with sore back or neck, hopefully some others will comment with some more help :smile:

With correct form and positioning you should not be having any issues.
    Do you have one of those foam things to put around the bar?
  • bexxgirl
    Options
    No, no foam thing. I'm in the 'big boys' area of the gym and I guess they're too tough for foam...

I'm pretty sure my form is right - I've been doing squats with light weights for 6 months and have just started with heavy weights, but using good form, I think (back straight, weight in heels, etc).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Move the bar slightly lower from where you currently place it and see if that's any better. And bring your hands in closer. That squeezes your traps up to provide a natural cushion. The foam pad is much too thick, but you can place your workout towel across the bar to make it a bit thicker and cush so the point of contact isn't as sharp.

Bonus: always include the weight of the bar when discussing how much you lift. You're squatting 50kg, not 30 plus 20.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    My shoulders hurt when I first started out too, I just kinda got better really. People kept trying to talk me into using the pad, but I joked I was building up my shoulder callous. ;)

If you are sure your form is good and the bar isn't sitting too high, give it a few weeks and see if it settles down, I betcha it will.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's definitely sitting on the muscles - they're the things that are sore! Hopefully you're right and I'll just get used to it - 70kgs is impressive! How long have you been doing it?

If you're confident that the bar is possitioned correctly, and it is just sore muscles from the heavy bar resting on them, then you will get used to it. In the mean time, ice those muscles after a training session, and maybe take 1 training session off from squating to let them recover before they bruise up.
  • bexxgirl
    Options
    Thanks all!

Also, yay - I'm squatting 50 - I was wondering about that, because the Stronglifts app suggested starting weight for bench presses was 20 and I put 20 on the bar and nearly killed myself trying to do a single rep, so felt lame and took the plates down to 10kg. Now I know I was actually doing 30!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I just discovered the padded roll thing and it made a huge difference. It may have just forced me to use proper form, but for whatever reason, it felt miles better (and allowed me to add weight because of it). Next week I start heavier 5x5's and I'm going to use that roller thing, for sure.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Not sure why your shoulders would be sore, if you are holding the bar on your traps, or just behind...Maybe you are hunching slightly in response to the weight and the neck tension is carrying through to your shoulders? I think you will get used to the weight and it should subside over time.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I just discovered the padded roll thing and it made a huge difference. It may have just forced me to use proper form, but for whatever reason, it felt miles better (and allowed me to add weight because of it). Next week I start heavier 5x5's and I'm going to use that roller thing, for sure.

I'm not convinced the foam pad would force you to use proper form... It forces the bar higher up on your neck and stops you pushing your traps together to form a muscle 'pad'.
  • raj83168
    Options
    Check out Manta Ray Squat pad, that might help you