Road Trip Anxiety

Options
Good morning.....I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, and in a few weeks will be travelling down to the States for a mini vacation with family. We will be in the car for 2 full days (going back and forth), with a few days in of shopping and exploring. My big concern is food on the road and where to eat. I`m diabetic so I have to eat at regular intervals and will have to purchase fruit when I get down there because the last time I was there, it was taken at the boarder (lol). We have a complimentary breakfast so I can grab a piece of fruit or two for snacks. Our lunch will be a grab and go but supper is the issue. The people I travel with do not have dietary challenges and I certainly don`t want to hold them back from restaurants they would like to try. I know most places have healthy sections in their menus.

My question is: is there any restaurants better than others to eat at that fit well into healthy eating, and your favorite dishes off of their menu. We will be going to New Hampshire, with the first night in Maine and the last night in New Brunswick, Canada.

Thanks and have a wonderful Sunday!
Ann

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of October I was away for almost 2 weeks - 5 days at a conference and then 5 days in a national park but staying at a hotel. I didn't have much choice at the conference because all the meals were provided, but I found that I could eat more fruits and some protein for breakfast and lunch (I was in California and the melons were fantastic!) and that left me more room to splurge a bit a dinner. The same thing actually happened when I was in my own motel and traveling into the park during the day. I had a lo-cal but filling breakfast with lots of protein, then took just an apple and a protein bar with me for lunch. I would splurge a bit at dinner (I WAS on vacation, after all!) but still make decent choices and watch the serving size. I figured if I came back having lost less than 5 pounds I'd be happy - I only gained 1.5 pounds!

An example of eating out: there's a really good steak house there, so I had a really piece of steak, but then I filled up on salad and fruit so I wouldn't be tempted with all the deserts (it's a buffet).

The bottom line is you're not going to be gone for that long so give yourself a break. Make wise choices most of the time and when you splurge, just don't go crazy. You'll be fine.

Above all - Have a great time!
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used to travel for work quite a bit. In my experience, most restaurants here will prepare your food to suit your diet. For example, I order grilled chicken breast or a piece of fish with no butter or oil and steamed vegetables with no butter or sauce (just about every restaurant has broccoli available). I'll also have a salad with no croutons or cheese and order the lightest dressing they have on the side and use it sparingly. Portions tend to be quite large here, so be careful of that. Sometimes, places will have a smaller portion available so you don't have to worry about leaving food behind. I skip appetizers and deserts altogether, unless they have some fresh fruit available.

Don't be shy about inquiring with the server and letting him/her know that you'd like your food prepared a certain way because of your diet, and even that you would be interested in a smaller portion. Your friends can have whatever they want, and you can stick to your plan. Have a great trip! :smile:
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Once over the boarder goto a grocery store for just on case food. We travel a lot and thats what i do in case i end up with only a dreaded garden salad for dinner. Also try ordering a few sides...as a vegetarian visiting texas last month i ordered a plain sweet potato and two sides of asparagus then has a protein bar at home.
  • AnnMombourquette
    Options
    Thanks gals. I know I will have to head out with that frame of mind that I will attempt to make the healthiest choices and portions. Hoping for the willpower to pull it off.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this company has chains back east, but I discovered the restaurant Noodles & Company this weekend. They are all about fresh food. They make every dish fresh in front of you, but the prices are excellent, just barely above fast food. They pride themselves on being a fresher, healthier alternative. Many of their dishes are 400 calories and under (so not huge, huge portions) and includes plenty of veggies and whole grains.

You should check out their website to see if they are in the areas you'll be visiting. I highly recommend this place. I know when I eat out now, they will be first on my list to consider. I was in awe.
  • trisha1298
    trisha1298 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Applebee's has an under 500 calorie menu that is pretty good and they are pretty common. Ihop also has a lot of good options, especially for breakfast! They have a calorie list at the restaurant that you can request. Also, Wendy's has a lot of good options (my favorite is the chili) if you are eating fast food.

I used to have a few foods at each restaurant that I could eat. Here's a good website http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html that someone compiled in terms of weight watchers points. A daily intake of 1200 calories is roughly 24 weight watchers points. ( the old points, not the points plus)
  • Jormesher
    Jormesher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Luckily, America is king of fast food and restaurents are getting better at serving healty options. There are also lots of grocercy store options available.

When I travel, I pack a soft side cooler to put the fresh fruit, nuts and waters. You could also put some lean deli meat in as a protein source. Try to behave at breakfast, lunch and snack time. Enjoy the local food at dinner.

Have a great trip!
  • AnnMombourquette
    Options
    Lots a great ideas....thank you :) Can`t wait for my trip and to try restaurants we don`t have around here. But I will be eating on the healthy side. Why mess up all my good progress. Thanks again!!